Galakrond, the Nightmare
|Set:||Descent of Dragons|
|Abilities:||Battlecry, Draw cards, Gain Armor, Modify cost, Replace Hero Power, Set attribute, Upgradable|
|Tags:||Hero Power-related, Invoke-related|
Battlecry: Draw 1 card. It costs (1).
(Invoke twice to upgrade.)
The enormous creature unfurled terrifying claws dripping with poisonous ichor. King Togwaggle was pleased, but inwardly disappointed the great Nightmare refused to wear the candle.
How to get[edit | edit source]
A single non-golden copy of Galakrond, the Nightmare will be automatically given to each player the first time they open a Descent of Dragons pack. Non-golden Galakrond, the Nightmare is uncraftable and cannot be crafted or disenchanted.
|Golden Galakrond, the Nightmare||3200||1600|
Upgrades into[edit | edit source]
Generated Hero Power[edit | edit source]
Fixed bugs[edit | edit source]
- Prior to a server-side update, Galakrond, the Nightmare's Battlecry applied a permanent enchantment that overrode other cost modifiers.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
- Please add any available information to this section.
Galakrond, the Nightmare is best used in a Tempo Rogue deck looking for a source of value. One of the major weaknesses of Galakrond, the Nightmare compared to other versions of Galakrond is the weakness of Rogue's Invoke cards. As such, The Nightmare isn't the best card to build around, but is decent as a mid to lategame play to close games out. Thankfully, his Battlecry is reasonably strong at all three stages, meaning you don't have to wait until he's fully Invoked to play him. His relative splashability makes him and his support cards a good choice for filler in a Highlander build.
Paying three mana for a Lackey is not very efficient. However, the Lackeys can be stored and saved to trigger Combos or build a large Edwin VanCleef, meaning it's still a good idea to use the Hero Power every turn where possible.
This card also has good synergy with Edwin Vancleef, especially after Invoking or using your Hero Power in addition to its Battlecry.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Darken the skies. My nightmare reigns!
Emotes[edit | edit source]
|Thanks||Thanks, I will destroy you last.|
|Well played||Your composure is... commendable.|
|Greetings||Your fear... is delectable.|
|Mirror Greetings||You only scare yourself.|
|Oops||That was frightening!|
|Threaten||Your screams delight me.|
|Concede||The nightmare ends... You win.|
|Thinking ||What about...|
|Thinking ||What if...|
|Running out of time||The darkness wanes!|
|Almost out of cards||I am running out of cards.|
|Out of cards||I am out of cards!|
|Error: Too many minions||My board is too full.|
|Error: Generic||That is impossible.|
|Error: Hand already full||I have too many cards.|
|Error: Hero already attacked||I cannot attack again.|
|Error: Minion not ready||Give that weakling a turn to get ready.|
|Error: Minion exhausted||That minion already attacked.|
|Error: Not enough mana||I need more Mana for that.|
|Error: Need a weapon||I need a weapon. Or claws.|
|Error: Can't play that card||I cannot do that.|
|Error: Can't target stealthed minions||That minion has Stealth.|
|Error: Not a valid target||I cannot target that.|
|Error: Must attack taunt minion||I must attack the minion with Taunt.|
|Lunar New Year Greetings||Happy New Year.|
|Winter Veil Greetings||Happy Feast of Winter Veil...|
|Pirate's Day Greetings||Yarr! Galakrond be raidin' the skies.|
|Noblegarden Greetings||Noblegarden... I detest it.|
|Hallow's End Greetings||Hallow's End... My favorite.|
|Midsummer Fire Festival Greetings||Fireworks. I love those...|
Unused[edit | edit source]
|Opening remark||You will not wake from this nightmare.|
|Mirror start||I will show you a real terror.|
|Selection in Arena||Choosing the darkness, I see. Wise.|
|Sorry||Sorry. Did I scare you?|
Lore[edit | edit source]
- Galakrond was a massive proto-dragon, who is known as the "progenitor of dragonkind". He was a threat which five proto-dragons of varying colors united against. It is said that from him the Titans created the Aspects, but this is a rumor the Aspects actively encouraged so as to keep the truth about Galakrond a secret from the dragonflights.
- His size alone was greater than all of the Aspects combined, large enough that the only possible being Galakrond could be compared to was himself. His roar could be heard from miles around, and the flap of his wings generated powerful wind. As he continued to consume the life-energies of his fellow proto-dragons, Galakrond grew hideous mutations all over his body (such as limbs and even eyes) and his skin started to decay, almost as if he had become an undead like his victims. Galakrond was not always this large and he used to have a smoother, more streamlined appearance. His mutations were caused by cannibalizing on other proto-dragons, and as a by-product of his absorption of the proto-dragons' life essence his victims came back as undead, called the not-living.
This version of Galakrond is one of five forms he takes in Descent of Dragons, each catering to a League of E.V.I.L. member. This incarnation was reanimated by King Togwaggle. Fitting for a rogue, Galakrond the Nightmare appears to have venomous teeth and claws, and his quotes/emotes imply he has power over darkness and fear. His other forms are as follows:
- Galakrond, the Tempest
- Galakrond, the Unbreakable
- Galakrond, the Unspeakable
- Galakrond, the Wretched
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 184.108.40.206261 (2020-07-14): Now reads: "... It cost (1)." (Up from 0).
- Server-side Patch (2020-02-12): Fixed an issue that caused Galakrond the Nightmare's cost-reduction priority to negate the cost-increase effects of cards such as Boompistol Bully and Loatheb.
- Patch 220.127.116.11060 (2019-12-05): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Regis Killbin on Twitter. (2020-02-04). Funny video clip.