References to funnel cakes are a running gag in Hearthstone. The joke originated with the quotes and flavor text of the Refreshment Vendor minion in The Grand Tournament, and has since been referenced in nearly every expansion and adventure from then until Rastakhan's Rumble, with the exception of The League of Explorers, The Witchwood, and The Boomsday Project.
Mentions[edit | edit source]
- The origin of the gag is found in the form of the Refreshment Vendor, who mentions funnel cakes in his summon and death quotes ("Funnel cakes! Get your funnel cakes here!" and "But I have... more... cakes...", respectively). His flavor text also reads "Menu: Funnel cakes, carrots, popcorn, jormungar steaks. It's hard serving a diverse clientele."
- Page six of the Gadgetzan Gazette features an article discussing how the seventeen Tuskarr Bros. Funnel Cakes franchises in Gadgetzan's food district have been closed due to being under investigation for selling substandard funnel cake and fraudulent foodstuffs to the public.
- Darkshire Alchemist's flavor text states that her secret ingredient is liquified funnel cake.
- Undercity Huckster's summon quote is "Hey. Hey. Do you wanna buy a funnel cake?"
- Priest of the Feast's summon quote is "Blessed be this funnel cake." His attack quote is "Oi! That's my cake!"
- Kabal Trafficker's flavor text reveals that she ships illicit mana crystals around the world in packages marked "FUNNEL CAKE". At the BlizzCon 2016 Mean Streets of Gadgetzan panel, Matt Place mentioned that the Trafficker not only deals in potions, but has also got a "mean red sauce" that is fantastic on funnel cakes.
- Devilsaur Egg's flavor text describes it as a key ingredient in all discerning Funnel Cake recipes.
- Exploding Bloatbat's flavor text reads "We've all been there after a night of one-too-many funnel cakes."
- The flavor text for Benevolent Djinn reads "Wish #1: funnel cakes. Wish #2: funnel cakes. Wish #3: FUNNEL CAKES."
- The Dungeon Run boss Mushhuckster Max's intro quote is "Hey... Hey... wanna buy some fungus?", referencing Undercity Huckster's summon quote.
- "Be Ready for the Rumble!", a blog post released as part of the promotional material for Rastakhan's Rumble, makes reference to "[savoring] the scent of fresh funnel cake on the air". The second part of the "A New Challenger Approaches" blog series describes how the usual funnel cake vendors are absent from the Rumble, with enterprising tuskarr vendors instead peddling soup (apparently, the Tuskarr Bros. accidentally sent a shipment of surplus soup to Stranglethorn Vale instead of Northrend).
- The flavor text for Predatory Instincts reads "Somebody's been eating their funnel cakes."
- Blood Troll Sapper's flavor text describes her as the "Main supplier of Blood Troll Syrup to the Intercontinental Hut of Funnel Cakes."
- In Battlegrounds, one of Bartender Bob's idle quotes is "How do I attract all these minions? Two words: Funnel. Cakes."
References[edit | edit source]
- BlizzCon 2016, Mean Streets of Gadgetzan - Hearthstone What's Next Panel