|See other versions: BG Regular and BG Gold|
|Set:||Goblins vs Gnomes|
|Tags:||Damage-related, Triggered effect|
Whenever your hero takes damage on your turn, gain +2/+2.
"Evil Eye Watcher of Doom" was the original name, but marketing felt it was a bit too aggressive.
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden Floating Watcher||400||50|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Floating Watcher can be triggered multiple times within the same turn, producing multiple stacking buffs.
- Floating Watcher will not trigger if the hero does not take damage, for example if the damage is prevented by Ice Block, Bolf Ramshield or Immune effects.
- Floating Watcher will still trigger if you take damage while your hero has armor; although it does not lower your hero's Health, it still counts as damage.
- Since the game does not resolve deaths until all simultaneous effects have taken place, a Floating Watcher can be buffed after being reduced to 0 health. For example, when a 4/2 Floating Watcher attacks into an enemy Explosive Trap, which deals 2 damage to Floating Watcher and its controlling hero, although Floating Watcher's Health would be lowered to 0 by the Explosive Trap's damage, its triggered effect gives it +2/+2 and thus, the Floating Watcher will not die from this sequence of events, but survives as a 6/2 and deals 6 damage to the opponent. Many of the warlock's AoEs, such as Hellfire, behave similarly.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Many warlock cards are stronger than average at the cost of the user's health; the Floating Watcher can turn that into a powerful board presence. Ways to trigger its effect include Life Tap, Flame Imp, Pit Lord, Hellfire ,Dread Infernal, and Rain of Fire. Drain Life or Siphon Life can also trigger its effect if the player cast it on his own hero, since it does 2 damage and then restores 2. This can be a situational solution for better board control, or finishing the game.
Neferset Thrasher can trigger its effect without playing any cards since it only needs to attack for Floating Watcher to get a free +2/+2. Unlicensed Apothecary can easily ramp up Floating Watcher's stats especially with low cost minions but be aware that it deals 5 damage per summon to hero which makes this strategy very costly. Spreading Madness (if lucky) can increase Floating Watcher's stats significantly if hero is hit 9 times for a maximum +18/+18.
Combined with Hellfire or Felfire Potion, Floating Watcher can provide large amounts of burst damage as a game finisher while still alternatively providing board presence. It also gains health from these board clears, effectively taking diminished damage. Self-damage on your own turn can also be caused through playing minions like Mad Bomber, attacking a minion using a weapon (such as after playing Lord Jaraxxus), or destroying enemy Deathrattle minions like Leper Gnome and Boom Bot. Mages who obtain this card (such as through Unstable Portal) can use Fireblast on their own hero during their turn to buff Floating Watcher.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- I see everything.
- Effect triggering
Lore[edit | edit source]
The Floating Watcher is a member of the Observer race.
- Observers, also known as floating eyes, are an intelligent race of floating eyeball squids native to the Great Dark Beyond.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Reign of Fire" series, for the card Scheming Watcher.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
Patch 18.104.22.16834 (2014-12-04): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Zeriyah on Twitter. (2014-12-03).
- Zeriyah on Twitter. (2014-12-03).
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GbKPLvUHZk&t=0m45s Tested in Patch 22.214.171.12457 (2015-09-29)
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2014-12-11).