|Set:||Whispers of the Old Gods|
|Tags:||Choose One-related, Ongoing effect|
|Voice actor:||Cam Clarke|
Your Choose One cards and powers have both effects combined.
Always manages to mention "Back when I was creating the World Tree…" in EVERY conversation. Sheesh! Enough already.
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden Fandral Staghelm||3200||1600|
Transformed minions[edit | edit source]
When a card with two Choose One options involving transform effects is played while controlling Fandral Staghelm, a unique minion will be produced that combines the effects of both options.
- Resulting minions
Notes[edit | edit source]
- When the controlling player activates a Choose One effect, as a rule, effects will be activated in the order stated on the card. However, often when the reverse order would be specifically more beneficial to the player, that order will be used instead:
- Playing Cenarius will activate Shan'do's Lesson before activating Demigod's Favor.
- Keeper of the Grove will Silence first and damage second.
- Dark Wispers will buff a target minion and then summon the Wisps.
- Fatespinner will buff all minions then deal damage to them.
- A list of all Fandral Staghelm interactions can be found here, or in this video.
- Fandral Staghelm will cause Choose One cards with a choice of two damaging effects to deal two separate damage events. (As of Knights of the Frozen Throne, this applies to only two cards: Wrath and Starfall). Both damage events are handled independently, but no death processing occurs in between.
- Example: Casting Starfall on an Infested Tauren with Fandral in play first deals 5 damage to the Infested Tauren, leaving it mortally wounded, but its death will only be processed (and its Deathrattle triggered) after the second damage phase. The summoned Slime is not hit by the second damage phase and survives.
- Example: When casting Starfall with both Fandral and a Kobold Geomancer in play, the Spell Damage will apply to both damage events, making the spell deal 6 damage to the target and 3 damage to all enemy minions.
- Example: When casting Wrath on a Silvermoon Guardian with Fandral in play, the first damage event will remove the Divine Shield and the second damage event will actually deal its 1 point of damage, leaving the Silvermoon Guardian at 2 Health.
- Example: Casting Wrath on an Acolyte of Pain with Fandral in play causes the controlling player to draw two cards. The first damage event deals 3 damage and leaves the Acolyte mortally wounded, but its death is not resolved so it incurs one extra point of damage and draw one extra card from the second damage event.
- Example: Casting Wrath on a Grim Patron that has been buffed to at least 5 Health causes two new Grim Patrons to spawn, since both damage events deal damage without killing the Patron.
- The sole exception is Crystal Power, which fully resolves the damage before attempting to heal. This is likely so that the spell can still be used to destroy minions.
- Choose One cards with targeted effects will use the same target for both effects. For example, Wrath will deal both damage events to the same minion, as opposed to dealing 3 damage to one minion and 1 damage to another. Likewise, Keeper of the Grove will both Silence and deal 2 damage to the same minion.
- Choose One minions that transform minions use the highest Attack and Health values of all transformations while combining their effects. Unlike the above examples, which activate both effects to effectively double the value of the card, it's arguable that a card like Druid of the Flame, due to its wording, should combine the stats of both transformation creating a 7/7 as opposed to a 5/5. This is an additional wording issue to Transform cards that has been debated in the Hearthstone community since release.
- Fandral Staghelm will cause Choose One spells picked by Yogg-Saron, Hope's End to have their combined effect.
- Keeper Stalladris works normally while you control Fandral. The spell cast has both effects combined, and choices will be added after.
- Spells with target restrictions on one choice and no restrictions on the other can be cast normally, but if cast on an illegal target, the effects will not be combined.
- Example When casting Crystal Power on a hero, it will deal no damage and still restore 5 Health. If cast on a minion, both effects will be combined as usual.
Previous bugs[edit | edit source]
- Before Patch 22.214.171.12457, damaging effects (Wrath and Starfall) were combined into one instance of damage, rather than dealing damage twice. This meant that Spell Damage was only applied once, not twice.
- Before Patch 126.96.36.19957, using Starfall on a friendly minion dealt 7 damage instead of 5. (The spell's effects of 5 damage to target minion and 2 damage to all enemy minions were combined into 7 damage to target then 2 to all other enemy minions - but they forgot to handle the case where Starfall's target is friendly, not enemy.)
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Most of the Druid's Choose One effects are balanced so that each effect is reasonable for the Mana cost. Gaining both effects will drastically increase the value of each of your Choose One cards, such as turning Ancient of War into a 10/10 Taunt Minion for 7 Mana, Raven Idol allowing you to discover two cards for only 1 Mana, Nourish providing you with both 2 Mana Crystals as well as 3 cards, and many more.
While it would be ideal to keep Fandral Staghelm on the field as long as possible to benefit from his fantastic effect, your opponent will likely plan to annihilate him as soon as they possibly can. Taunt minions can protect him from attacks; most fittingly, Mark of Nature can provide a friendly minion with +4/4 and Taunt for only 3 Mana, converting it into a powerful guardian to keep Staghelm safe. Unfortunately there's no real way to keep him save from removal via spells, so unless you are able to bait your opponent's removal cards and are certain they have no option to destroy Staghelm, it would usually be wise to save him for your late game, where you can get off a few Choose One effects the turn he's summoned. Even if he's destroyed the following turn, you'll have gained enough added value from his presence that the board will most likely be turned entirely in your favor.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Behold the rage of the Firelands.
- When summoned against Tyrande
- You would lead our people to ruin!
- Nothing but ash!
Lore[edit | edit source]
- Fandral Staghelm was formerly the Archdruid of Darnassus, succeeding Malfurion Stormrage after he was lost in the Emerald Nightmare. He was in a constant power struggle with Tyrande Whisperwind, High Priestess of Elune, for leadership of the night elf people, and was one of the architects of the plan to create Teldrassil. After it was revealed that he had been corrupted by the Nightmare himself and had prolonged Malfurion's absence, Fandral eventually descended into madness and was to be imprisoned by the Cenarion Circle. He was captured when he was being moved to Moonglade from Mount Hyjal and turned into the first Druid of the Flame, becoming the new Majordomo of the Firelands, until he is killed during the final battle against Ragnaros.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This card marked the first time a set had added new cards to another set, with Whispers of the Old Gods serving to add three new minions to the Classic, Blackrock Mountain and The Grand Tournament sets.
- Fandral Staghelm's entrance music is taken from Druids of the Flame.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 188.8.131.5257 (2017-08-08): In order to accomodate for Malfurion the Pestilent's Plague Lord Hero Power, Fandral Staghelm now reads: Your Choose One cards and powers have both effects combined. Furthermore, damage-dealing Choose One cards are now processed as two separate damage events; previously they were combined into a single event.
- Patch 184.108.40.20674 (2016-04-24): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Stated during official reveal stream, 2016-04-21
- Mike Donais on Reddit. (2016-04-22). Retrieved on 2016-04-24.
- Disguised Toast: Testing New Interactions + Planning for Frozen Throne + Random Stuff. (2017-08-08).
- Peter Whalen on Twitter. (2019-03-26).
- Puffin on reddit. (2017-08-06). Retrieved on 2017-08-06.