|Abilities:||Copy, Generate, Secret|
|Tags:||Death-related, Triggered effect|
Secret: When a friendly minion dies, put 2 copies of it into your hand.
The one time when duping cards won't get your account banned!
How to get[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This Secret generates two new copies of the triggering minion, and places them into the player's hand. If the player's hand has 9 cards, the Secret will activate but only generate one copy. If the player's hand has 10 cards, Duplicate will not activate.
- When multiple friendly minions are killed simultaneously, Duplicate will copy the minion that was put into play earliest.
- As with all secrets, Duplicate can only be triggered on the opponent's turn, preventing the player from deliberately activating it.
- If a friendly Mad Scientist is killed at the same time as another friendly minion which was summoned later, when the Mad Scientist's Death and Deathrattle is processed and puts Duplicate into play, it will subsequently trigger on processing the death of the younger minion. This is not a bug.
- Duplicate does not interact with Chromaggus since the copied cards are not drawn.
Previous bugs[edit | edit source]
- Prior to Patch 18.104.22.16833 (LoE patch), Duplicate had a bug that meant if the player's hand is already full, the Secret would activate but do nothing.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Like other mage secrets, Duplicate has game-changing potential in its powerful effect. While Duplicating a low cost minion does at least provide you with options to play cards every turn, having extra copies of a mid-range or high-end minion can win you the game in itself. The ideal Duplicate would be to copy a high-value minion, whether for its stats or specific abilities. Duplicating an Antique Healbot can be highly effective for healing, while Duplicating an Archmage Antonidas is effective in countering the opponent's attempts to remove this key minion from the board. Note that Duplicate can allow the player exceed the normal deck limit of 2 of each card, and to gain multiple copies of legendary minions, normally limited to 1 copy per deck.
Avoid placing undesirable Duplicate targets on the board while the Secret is up. An extreme method is to not place any other minions. More experienced opponents may be able to guess your Secret, however.
Duplicate is vulnerable to transforms; like other on-death triggers, Duplicate will not activate from a transform, and like other copy effects, Duplicate will copy the transformed minion, not the original. For example, an Archmage Antonidas played with Duplicate that is then Hexed and killed, will only result in two Frogs in hand.
Duplicate can be used instead of return effects to re-play minions with useful Battlecries. This includes opponent's minions that have been copied or taken control of, which may have Battlecries not normally available to mages.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Battle of the Aspects Treasure" series, for the card Arcane Reflection.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 22.214.171.12424 (2014-07-22): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Tested by jerodast on 5-2-2015: Tauren Warrior was killed with 9 cards in hand. Duplicate activated, and one Tauren Warrior copy was placed in hand.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmOuO5GOD9c Tested in Patch 126.96.36.19956 (2015-12-04)
- Tested by User:Taohinton 2015-02-07. Tried both Duplicate and Redemption; in both cases Mad Scientist will cause the next simultaneous death to trigger the secret, but will not trigger it himself. Simultaneous deaths of earlier minions are resolved before the Scientist, and thus were found not to activate the secret.