Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Druid of the Claw
|Abilities:||Choose One, Transform|
|Tags:||Beast-generating, Charge-generating, Taunt-generating|
|Voice actor:||Jason Miller|
Choose One - Transform into a 4/4 with Charge; or a 4/6 with Taunt.
Cat or Bear? Cat or Bear?! I just cannot CHOOSE!
How to get[edit | edit source]
Druid of the Claw can be obtained through Classic card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Golden Druid of the Claw can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of each Ranked season.
|Druid of the Claw||40||5|
|Golden Druid of the Claw||400||50|
Choose One cards[edit | edit source]
- Resulting minions
Combined[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- As with all transformations, this minion's change into either Cat or Bear Form is permanent and cannot be undone by Silences or being returned to the hand.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
As a Choose One card, Druid of the Claw's power comes from its flexibility. The card can be used either offensively or defensively. The Charge minion is useful when you need to deal quick damage to a minion or defeat the enemy hero, while the defensive option is useful when you need a Taunt.
Unlike the similar Ancient of War, the basic Druid of the Claw card transforms into the chosen minion, producing a wholly separate card. Most significantly, the Bear Form Druid's base Health is 6 (not 4) and this will not be lost if Silenced. This makes Bear Form Druid almost strictly better than Fen Creeper (Bear Form Druid is vulnerable to Hemet Nesingwary).
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Where shall I strike?
- My strength is yours.
Lore[edit | edit source]
- These ancient druids have adopted the totem of the bear and use the powers of their totem to defend their society from any external threats. They are fond of assuming Bear Form and roaming in seclusion throughout the wildlands of Kalimdor. When riled, the Druids of the Claw display ferocious power and stamina. Their magical spells augment their allies' fighting skills and bravery as well.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Since this minion's Choose One effect normally replaces it with one of the two Beast forms, its regular attack and death sounds are only heard if the minion enters play through a summon or put into battlefield effect (such as Alarm-o-Bot), causing it to skip the transformation.
- Before Patch 126.96.36.19936 finally changed the card text, there was an ongoing debate on whether this card should include the word Transform like all the other similar Druid cards do, as its Choose One effect actually transforms itself rather than buffing its stats like the similarly-worded Ancient of War does. As a part of the always-standard Classic set, however, it had been said that the simple wording was preferred over describing the exact effect of the card.
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Wrathgate" series, for the card Ayluro Nightwind.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 188.8.131.5236 (2017-04-04) Text changed from "Choose One - Charge; or +2 Health and Taunt." to "Choose One - Transform into a 4/4 with Charge; or a 4/6 with Taunt".
- Patch 184.108.40.20634 (2014-12-04): Druid of the Claw (Cat Form) and Druid of the Claw (Bear Form) are now Beasts; previously no minion type.
- Patch 220.127.116.1190 (2013-10-02): Flavor text changed from "Druids of the Claw can shapeshift into Cat or Bear Form. You'd think they'd also be able morph into Wolf or Sloth Form, but apparently not." to "Cat or Bear? Cat or Bear?! I just cannot CHOOSE!".
- Patch 18.104.22.16888 (2013-06-22): Now grants 2 Health, down from 3.
References[edit | edit source]
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2014-11-04).