- For commonly used decks, see Common deck types.
A deck is a collection of exactly 30 cards assembled before a match, as well as the zone which players draw cards from (and sometimes add cards to) during gameplay. Each deck is tied to a specific class.
Decks can be created and modified through the Collection manager. Each deck occupies a deck slot, with the number of deck slots limiting how many decks the player can possess. Currently, players have access to 18 deck slots in the game client. Additionally, a player can store more decks in offhand text files using deck strings.
Players start with basic decks, but can customise or replace these. Deck Recipes provide convenient deck lists for exploring new classes or deck types. Deck Sharing is a feature which allows players to easily share and assemble each others' decks.
During a game, the deck of remaining undrawn cards is displayed on the right side of the battlefield for both players. All card draw and some discard effects cause cards to be removed from the player's deck, and when a player has exhausted their deck, they will begin to suffer fatigue damage. Shuffle into deck effects, on the other hand, can add cards to the deck, including cards that were not originally part of the deck. Players can mouse over each deck to see how many cards remain therein.
Some card effects interact with the deck by shuffling cards into it, copying or moving cards from it, or checking it for duplicate cards. A very few cards have special effects that can activate even when the card itself is still inside the deck.
Construction[edit | edit source]
Each player deck is built for a specific class, and must only use neutral cards and cards specific to the corresponding class. For example a rogue deck could include Backstab and Earthen Ring Farseer, but could not include Fireball or Voidwalker. Class must be chosen before constructing a deck. All playable decks must also include precisely 30 cards.
Other than this, deck construction rules vary by game mode:
- In Play mode, Friendly Challenge and most Adventure mode play, the player must build their deck with cards from their collection (or use a basic deck). The deck can only include 2 of each card (including regular and golden versions), and only 1 of each Legendary card. Play mode and Friendly Challenges decks must conform to the selected game format, either Standard or Wild.
- In the Arena, the player draws a random selection of cards out of those in Standard format, with no relation to which cards they have collected. Arena decks also do not have any limits on how many copies of the same card can the player have in their deck. A fresh Arena deck is made at the start of each Arena run, and is lost at the end of that run.
- Tavern Brawls may feature pre-made or custom decks.
- Custom Tavern Brawl decks usually follow the same construction rules as Wild format Play mode, but sometimes feature special rules or restrictions on which cards can be included. Custom decks for Tavern Brawls are created especially for that Brawl, and similar to Arena decks, are lost when the Brawl closes.
- Pre-made decks may be fixed, or randomly generated before each game, but either way cannot be edited or directly viewed by players. Pre-made decks may contain cards completely different from those available in normal play.
- A few Adventure boss encounters give the player pre-made decks filled with special cards, but this is far rarer than in Tavern Brawl mode.
- Adventure Class Challenges feature pre-made decks, each tailored for the matching encounter. Like Arena decks, these decks do not have any card copy limits, and like pre-made Tavern Brawl decks, cannot be edited or viewed directly.
- Boss decks
Bosses use unique decks, often including special cards which are not available to players. These decks have no card copy limits, and unlike playable decks may include cards from multiple classes and feature more than 30 cards in total. Most bosses have two decks, one for Normal mode and one for Heroic mode, with the latter usually presenting a tougher take on the same design. Each version of a boss uses the same deck each time they are played against.
Related cards[edit | edit source]
- See also: In-deck effect
The following cards have specific synergy with the cards in the player's deck.
|Name / Desc||Rarity||Type||Subtype||Class||Cost||Atk||HP||Description|
|Strength in Numbers||Common||Spell||Druid||1|
Sidequest: Spend 10 Mana on minions.
Reward: Summon a minion from your deck. One minion, two minions... tree minions!
Battlecry: Draw a Rush minion from your deck. Warning: May cause carousel flashbacks.
Battlecry: If your deck has no Neutral cards, equip a 4/2 Truesilver Champion. Card-carrying member of the Paladins Only Paladin Club.
Battlecry: If there are cards in your deck that didn’t start there, draw 2 of them. Cut him a break. Even economy class tickets are pretty expensive these days.
|Envoy of Lazul||Epic||Minion||General||Priest||2||2||2|
Battlecry: Look at 3 cards. Guess which one is in your opponent's hand to get a copy of it. "Note to self: possess someone who's local and knows directions next time."
Whenever you shuffle a card into a deck, shuffle in an extra copy. Her friends call her "Shuffleupugus".
Discover a minion from your deck. Draw all three cards if they are three Beasts. "Hello? Yes, this is Huffer."
Battlecry: Swap the top card of your deck with your opponent's. Fair trade is for noble-minded suckers with dignity and honor.
|Surrender to Madness||Epic||Spell||Priest||3|
Destroy 3 of your Mana Crystals. Give all minions in your deck +2/+2. Never give up, always surrender!
Combo: Draw a Deathrattle minion from your deck and gain its Deathrattle. Necrium: Get the afterlife without the aftertaste!
Reveal a weapon from your deck. Deal its Attack to all minions. Oh look. A Gorehowl.
Battlecry: If your deck has no Neutral cards, add 5 random Paladin cards to your hand. Self-appointed president of the Paladins Only Paladin Club.
Costs (1) less for each card you've played this game that didn't start in your deck. Spell more and save more with a GIANT discount!
Battlecry: Discover a copy of a spell in your deck and cast it with random targets. A tortollan made it to the desert!
|Sir Finley of the Sands||Legendary||Minion||Murloc||Paladin||2||2||3|
Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, Discover an upgraded Hero Power. "The sands shall be my sea! And this scarab shall be my, er, strange and wriggly boat!"
|Zephrys the Great||Legendary||Minion||Elemental||Any||2||3||2|
Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, wish for the perfect card. "Of course it's perfect, you're just not seeing how to use it."
After your hero attacks, draw a Pirate from your deck. The problem with anchors is they often end up sinking to the bottom of your deck.
Battlecry: Reduce the Cost of Dragons in your deck by (2). Frizz knows that baby dragons need warmth, care, and the highest possible level of goblin engineering.
|Elise the Enlightened||Legendary||Minion||General||Druid||5||5||5|
Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, duplicate your hand. From cartographer to combatant, Elise has taken the road less traveled—because no one else could find it on a map.
|Gral, the Shark||Legendary||Minion||Beast||Rogue||5||2||2|
Battlecry: Eat a minion in your deck and gain its stats.
Deathrattle: Add it to your hand. “… We’re gonna need a bigger board.”
Battlecry: Destroy a minion and all copies of it (wherever they are). Junior explorers scan the night sky in fear of her candle’s flame!
|Lady in White||Legendary||Minion||General||Priest||6||5||5|
Battlecry: Cast 'Inner Fire' on all minions in your deck. (set Attack equal to Health) She was a lady in polka dots until the gnomish laundromat incident.
|Reno the Relicologist||Legendary||Minion||General||Mage||6||4||6|
Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, deal 10 damage randomly split among all enemy minions. All his life, Reno Jackson was only a gatling wand away from becoming the greatest and most terrifying mage who ever existed.
Battlecry: Summon two 1/1 Boom Bots for each Bomb in your opponent's deck. He's gonna fly through the air with the greatest of grease.
Battlecry: If your deck is empty, summon six 6/6 Greasefire Elementals. His cooking is always very well done.
Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, summon King Krush. Brann's new dino-taming hobby is going well—his pet can already make him sit, stand, and roll over!
Battlecry: Summon all minions from your hand that didn't start in your deck. Everyone wants to be a princess, but nobody ever considers the size of the hat.
Deathrattle: If you have no cards in your deck, hand, and battlefield, destroy the enemy hero. "Your software will fail. Your users will abandon you. You are already obsolete."
|The Boom Reaver||Legendary||Minion||Mech||Warrior||10||7||9|
Battlecry: Summon a copy of a minion in your deck. Give it Rush. "What's better than reaving? BOOM reaving!"
|Showing all 29 cards|
Descent of Dragons
The below cards are planned for release with Descent of Dragons, coming December 10, 2019.
|Name / Desc||Rarity||Type||Subtype||Class||Cost||Atk||HP||Description|
Give all minions in your deck +2/+2. They cost (1) more (up to 10). Did you set it to "wumbo?"
Battlecry: Transform all Neutral cards in your deck into random cards from your class. She keeps your deck classy.
|Showing all 2 cards|
- This section contains information exclusive to Wild format.
|Name / Desc||Rarity||Type||Subtype||Class||Cost||Atk||HP||Description|
Battlecry: Reveal a spell in each deck. If yours costs more, draw it. Quoth the raven, 'Does yours cost more?'
Spell Damage +1
Battlecry: If your deck has only odd-Cost cards, draw a card. She's so odd, you can't even.
Battlecry: Discover a copy of a minion in your deck. He's just exercising his right to bear arms.
Battlecry: If your deck has only even-Cost cards, deal 2 damage. Makes shockingly good unagi.
Battlecry: If you're holding any cards that didn't start in your deck, reduce their Cost by (2). The shortest distance between two points is a leyline.
Battlecry: Gain the Deathrattle of a random minion in your deck. Uh, you might want to get that looked at.
Battlecry: Look at 3 cards.
Guess which one started in your opponent's deck to get a copy of it. George promised to be good. But it's easy for little Glimmerroots to forget.
Battlecry: Gain Taunt if your deck has a Taunt minion. Repeat for Divine Shield, Lifesteal, Windfury. Her extensive collection of corpses includes one of nearly every type. She'd love for you to join it.
Battlecry: If your deck has only odd-Cost cards, double the Health of your other minions. Some moths are attracted to flame. This one's attracted to disco.
Battlecry: If your deck has only odd-Cost cards, gain +2/+2. Majestic. Ethereal. Still pretty down in the dumps, though.
|To My Side!||Epic||Spell||Hunter||6|
Summon an Animal
Companion, or 2 if your
deck has no minions. I hunt alone. Well, me and Misha. And Huffer. And Leokk.
Battlecry: Reveal a spell from your deck. Summon a random minion with the same Cost. Sometimes she'll summon a Doomsayer. Out of spite.
At the end of your turn, cast a spell from your deck (targets chosen randomly). Qualifications: Found pointy hat.
|Open the Waygate||Legendary||Spell||Mage||1|
Quest: Cast 6 spells that didn't start in your deck.
Reward: Time Warp. Although powerful, the incantation is simple. It’s just a jump to the left, and then a step to the right.
Battlecry: If your deck has no 2-cost cards, give all minions in your deck +1/+1. Three Princes stand before you. This one wants to buff his brothers.
Battlecry: If your deck has no 3-Cost cards, transform into a 3/3 copy of a minion. Three Princes stand before you. This one wants to copy others.
Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, create a custom spell. The mysterious leader of the Kabal is NOT a dragon, and does NOT deal in illegal potions. Any public statements to the contrary will be met with litigation and Dragonfire Potions.
Battlecry: If your deck has no 4-Cost cards, gain Lifesteal and Taunt. Three Princes stand before you. This one devours one after another.
Start of Game: Add 5 extra Legendary minions to your deck. He was super excited to acquire Gorehowl at a garage sale! Then super disappointed to find out it was a foam reproduction.
|Raza the Chained||Legendary||Minion||General||Priest||5||5||5|
Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, your Hero Power costs (1) this game. "Could you do me a favor and get the keys from Kazakus?"
Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, fully heal your hero. Reno is a four-time winner of the 'Best Accessorized Explorer' award.
Battlecry: Shuffle a copy of your opponent's deck into your deck. Nobody expects the Archbishop's Benediction!
Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, the next spell you cast this turn costs (0). Solia marks the Kabal with intricate tattoos that grant immense power. Also it makes it harder for other gangs to recruit from their numbers. BACK OFF, GOONS.
Battlecry: If your deck has no minions, fill your hand with Hunter spells. Rhok'delar is ready to Rhok'de'casbah!
Battlecry: Swap decks with your opponent. Give them a Ransom spell to swap back. Management of the Kobold Empire requires a careful balance between a lack of social services and fiscal irresponsibility.
|Krul the Unshackled||Legendary||Minion||Demon||Warlock||9||7||9|
Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, summon all Demons from your hand. Spicklefizz pondered his life choices as he looked at the chain around his neck. "Become a warlock," they said. "You get to enslave demons," they said.
|Showing all 26 cards|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- While decks can normally only contain 30 cards, within a match shuffle into deck effects can introduce new cards into a deck, allowing it to exceed the normal 30 card limit, up to a maximum of 60. Any such adjustments to decks during battle are not carried beyond the match.
- In Adventures, some Bosses may have a deck size that deviates from 30 cards. Notably, Coren Direbrew has a deck size of 36 on Heroic difficulty and Patchwerk has a deck size of 0 on both difficulties.
- Each player's deck is randomly ordered or 'shuffled' at the start of the match prior to the mulligan, and then again following the mulligan if any cards were replaced. Shuffle into deck effects obviously re-shuffle the deck as well.
- The order of the undrawn deck is believed to be functionally insignificant, since it is not possible for the player to see the order of cards in their deck without drawing them. Those effects which draw directly from the player's deck do so randomly and thus are not affected by the order of cards within the deck. Shuffling the deck, such as through shuffle into deck effects, should therefore have no practical impact on gameplay, aside from allowing for the random placement of new cards.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Players who have mastered the basics of the game are generally recommended to try their hand at constructing their own decks. This not only helps players to learn about the game's deeper strategic elements, but is likely to provide a superior deck to the basic decks available. Players can use their favourite cards from that class' basic deck (or the entire deck) as a starting point for building their new deck. Many players also choose to search for deck listings online.
Players are free to change their deck as often as they wish. Decks can be created and altered through the My Collection screen. Players can have up to 18 custom decks at any time, and can also name their decks. Creating a custom deck is highly recommended, due to the generally poor nature of the basic decks.
Deck construction is a key strategic element to the game. There are many broad styles of deck, with an almost uncountable number of possible variations. Common deck types include control decks, aggro decks and mid-game decks, although many decks combine elements of each of these styles. The selection of class allows for additional customization, with certain classes having a natural synergy with certain types of deck. Many players choose to create different decks in order to try out certain builds or to play against specific weaknesses or strengths of other decks.
Perhaps the most critical feature of deck construction is their size limit: 30 cards. This forces players to choose between dozens of desirable possibilities, and focus upon their chosen strategy. However, the limit to the deck's size also ensures a limit to the unpredictability of the deck when playing. Paying attention to the mana curve can help in building a balanced deck.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The maximum deck size was limited around April 2015 to 60 cards. Prior to this, numbers as large as 466 had been observed, using shuffle into deck effects.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Daxxarri (March 14, 2016). Hearthstone Patch Notes - 184.108.40.20651. Retrieved on 2019-07-22.
- Blizzard Entertainment (2017-05-16). New Features Coming to Hearthstone!.
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-01-20).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2016-01-20).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2016-01-25).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2016-01-19).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-01-19).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-02-16).