- For Deathwing's other appearances, see Deathwing (disambiguation).
Background[edit | edit source]
- "Pain... Agony... My hatred burns through the cavernous deeps. The world heaves with my torment. Its wretched kingdoms quake beneath my rage. But at last... The whole of Azeroth will break... And all will burn beneath the shadow of my wings."
Black Dragon Aspect and once noble defender of Azeroth, Deathwing was corrupted by the Old Gods and turned against his former allies, becoming one of the greatest threats Azeroth has known. After a lengthy absence from the world, Deathwing explosively resurfaced, causing what would become known as the Cataclysm, changing the face of Azeroth forever. He was eventually destroyed during the final events of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.
- Deathwing, formerly known as Neltharion the Earth-Warder, was one of the five Dragon Aspects aspect and leader of the black dragonflight and Aspect of Earth. Thousands of years ago, Neltharion was empowered by the Titans with dominion over the earth and the deep places of Azeroth. However, driven mad by the Old Gods, he turned against the other Aspects during the War of the Ancients. eventually abandoning his title of Aspect of Earth in favor of being the Aspect of Death. Among both mortals and dragons his name became one whispered with a feeling of fear and contempt.
- The black aspect involved himself in the Second War, adopting the form of Lord Daval Prestor in order to destroy the Alliance from within. He also managed to turn his greatest enemy, Alexstrasza, into a slave of the Horde, with which he later allied himself. After a series of setbacks, culminating in his defeat at the hands of the other Aspects, Deathwing retreated to the elemental plane of Deepholm to recuperate. From there, he observed his former mate Sintharia's experiments with the twilight dragonflight in Grim Batol.
- Though believed dead by many, Deathwing returned in spectacular fashion after the fall of the Lich King. His wrath resulted in the Shattering, which reshaped the map of Azeroth and unleashed widespread destruction; as the world reeled, he also appeared and brought flame to various regions of Azeroth. His ultimate goal was to bring about the Hour of Twilight - the final end of all life on Azeroth. To that end, he was aided by powerful allies, minions of his Old God masters. These included the warped ogre-mage Cho'gall and his Twilight's Hammer cult, the powerful Elemental Lords Al'Akir and Ragnaros, and the Neferset tol'vir of Uldum.
- Uniting their powers, the remaining Dragon Aspects sent adventurers to brave the unstable paths of the Caverns of Time to retrieve the Dragon Soul, an ancient artifact crafted by Deathwing himself ten thousand years earlier and destroyed shortly after the Second War, and believed to be the only means of defeating him. With the weapon secure, the Aspects took the battle to their corrupted brother, with the orc shaman Thrall as the wielder of the Soul, now imbued with Deathwing's essence - the very essence of the earth itself. After laying siege to the Wyrmrest Temple and unleashing his most powerful minions, Deathwing took to the skies, until he was blasted into the Maelstrom by the powers of the Soul. His body at last giving way to the corruption within, Deathwing made his final stand in the raging torrent of the Maelstrom, until he was at last destroyed by the combined powers of the shaman, the Aspects, and the mortal champions sent to defeat him.
The art depicts Deathwing in his mortal form.
How to Get[edit | edit source]
Deathwing is only obtainable by purchasing the Descent of Dragons Mega Bundle, which is only purchasable with real money.
Functionality[edit | edit source]
Once unlocked and selected for use, Deathwing replaces Garrosh Hellscream whenever playing with a warrior deck. Deathwing comes with his own portrait, emotes, and hero tray art, as well as featuring a special animation when using Deathwing's Hero Power, Armor Up! (or its upgraded version, Tank Up!).
For more information, see Alternate heroes.
Flavor text[edit | edit source]
When viewed in the Collection, Deathwing has the following flavor text:
- Deathwing, a.k.a. Lord Daval Prestor, is a perfectly normal guy who would never ever tear the world asunder. Acquired by pre-purchasing the Descent of Dragons bundle.
Emotes[edit | edit source]
Regular play[edit | edit source]
|Thanks||<Growl> Thank you.|
|Well played||Your tenacity is admirable.|
|Greetings||Look upon me, the aspect of death!|
|Mirror Greetings||You are but a shadow of the past.|
|Oops||I am not always perfect, but often.|
|Threaten||There's no shelter from my fury.|
|Sorry||The sea could not swallow my regret.|
|Attack||I will NOT be denied!|
|Concede||This is THE END OF ALL THINGS!|
|Opening remark||Come! Embrace the chaos!|
|Mirror start||Yes, the inevitable is upon us.|
|Thinking ||Must burn them all...|
|Thinking ||A conundrum...|
|Running out of time||Make haste!|
|Almost out of cards||Few cards remain!|
|Out of cards||I am bereft of cards!|
|Error: Too many minions||I cannot oversee more fools.|
|Error: Hand already full||I will not take more!|
|Error: Hero already attacked||I have already unleashed my fury!|
|Error: Minion exhausted||That minion already attacked.|
|Error: Not enough mana||Deliver mana unto me!|
|Error: Can't play that card||It cannot be done!|
|Error: Can't target stealthed minions||That craven wretch has concealed itself.|
|Error: Not a valid target||I need a target.|
|Error: Must attack taunt minion||That filth taunts me!|
|Error: Minion not ready||That minion must wait to strike.|
|Error: Need a weapon||I need a weapon other than my rage.|
|Selection in Arena||I shall tear this world apart!|
|Pirates Day Greetings||I am NelthAARRRRion!|
|Hallow's End Greetings||A day of gloom and death? Delightful.|
|Noblegarden Greetings||Steal eggs, if you wish, but not from the Black Dragonflight!|
|Winter Veil Greetings||Celebrate the holiday. While you can.|
|Lunar New Year Greetings||Happy New Year!|
|When playing Iron Hide||I am made from stronger stuff!|
|When playing Execute||This one displeases me.|
|When playing Battle Rage||So. Much. RAGE!|
|When playing Dragon Roar||YES!|
|When playing Sweeping Strikes||You!|
|When playing Nightmare||This is no dream.|
|When playing Gather Your Party||Do something useful. I dare you.|
|When playing Crush||Crush them!|
|When playing Heavy Metal!||Heed my command!|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 126.96.36.199747 (2019-11-05):: Added.
|1,000 win heroes|
|Reward and special event heroes|
|Limited offers heroes|