|Tags:||Spell-related, Triggered effect|
Secret: When your opponent casts a spell, Counter it.
What's the difference between a mage playing with Counterspell and a mage who isn't? The mage who isn't is getting Pyroblasted in the face.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Counterspell can be obtained through Classic card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Regular Counterspell can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of a Ranked season, or as a first-time reward for first time reaching Silver 10 or Gold 10 in Ranked mode.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Counterspell is the only card with the keyword Counter.
- Counterspell may be used preemptively to prevent the next spell cast by an opponent. When the opponent plays a spell card, Counterspell will activate; the spell will then fail to take effect. Counterspell also prevents the spell from completing its 'casting' phase, preventing post-spell casting triggers from activating. The results of this are:
- The spell card will still be consumed and its mana cost expended. However, any Overload will not be applied, since Overload is part of the card's text, not its cost.
- Since patch 11.2.0, any effects which activate from the spell being cast or completed will not be triggered. This includes both 'whenever you cast a spell' as well as 'after you cast a spell' effects.
- Counterspell will successfully counter Flare. The Flare will not take effect, will not destroy any other Secrets or remove Stealth from minions, and will not draw the player a card.
- Counterspell will not trigger from activation of Secrets. However, Counterspell can prevent Secrets from being cast, since they are spell cards, and will also reveal the cast Secret.
- Counterspell will only counter spells directly played by the enemy player. Other sources that cast spells (Ex. Yogg-Saron, Hope's End, The Runespear, Zul'jin) are not countered.
- When Counterspell counters Fist of Jaraxxus, its discard-related effect is not triggered. It is unknown if this is a bug or intended.
- If your Overload spell is stopped by Counterspell, regardless of order of play, Unbound Elemental will still trigger (since you played a card with Overload), but you will not gain any Overload, meaning your Tunnel Troggs will not trigger.
- Counterspell beats "whenever" and "after" triggers.
Fixed bugs[edit | edit source]
- For a few weeks during Patch 184.108.40.20633 (LoE patch), playing a minion or spell with Overload caused you to become Overloaded the moment the card is paid for. For example, if Counterspell counters your Lightning Bolt, you were still Overloaded. (Normally Overload occurs in the Battlecry Phase/Spell Text Phase.)
- Until Patch 220.127.116.1133 (LoE patch), Counterspell would trigger Tiny Knight of Evil.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
The secret can be played to prevent board clears through spells such as Flamestrike. It makes sense to play Counterspell the turn before the spell can be cast. If the opponent then tries to cast a spell that gets countered, it will still use their mana which then guarantees a weak turn. Counterspell can also be set up if you want to prevent healing spells such as Lay on Hands to finish the game faster.
Since Counterspell is a secret, it synergizes with minions such as Mad Scientist or Arcanologist, that can draw the card from your deck. Comboing the secret with minions like Kirin Tor Mage or Kabal Crystal Runner can provide you with a tempo advantage while also protecting your minions from spells.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Counterspell is a mage spell from World of Warcraft which interrupts a target's spellcasting, locking them out of that school of magic for several seconds. Higher levels of the ability also silence the target for a few seconds. The spell also features in the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "March of the Legion" series, for the card Magistrix Tibrana.
- This is the only card that uses the Counter ability. Despite this, Counter does feature its own tooltip when inspected in the hand, which can be seen to the right.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch Changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 18.104.22.16817 (2017-10-17): Spells that are canceled by Counterspell will now trigger any “Whenever you cast a spell” and “After you cast a spell” effects.
References[edit | edit source]
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IckaFHxS5AA Tested in Patch 22.214.171.12456 (2015-12-04)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax4U6dDIlws&t=0m50s Tested in Patch 126.96.36.19986 (TGT patch)
- Daxxari (June 5, 2018). Update 11.2 – June 5. Retrieved on 2018-08-04.
- http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/19877077551?page=1#4 Tested in Patch 188.8.131.5233 (LoE patch)
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-11-16).