Cone of Cold
|Abilities:||Deal damage, Freeze|
|Tags:||Positional effect, Targeted|
Freeze a minion and the minions next to it, and deal 1 damage to them.
Magi of the Kirin Tor were casting Cubes of Cold for many years before Cones came into fashion some 90 years ago.
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Cone of Cold||40||5|
|Golden Cone of Cold||400||50|
Notes[edit | edit source]
This spell has two steps, carried out in the following order despite the card text:
- First, it deals damage to the target minion and adjacent ones in the order left-right-center, queuing and resolving triggers (such as Acolyte of Pain);
- Then, it freezes those minions (in particular, any minion eventually spawned between them, such as due to Dragon Egg, will not be frozen).
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Cone of Cold will Freeze a total of 3 possible minions and deal 1 damage to them. When choosing which enemy minion to cast this spell on, be sure to target the minion that is in between the 2 minions that you want to Freeze/damage. This will ensure you use Cone of Cold's maximum potential, assuming your opponent has 3 or more minions on the field.
When playing against mage, it is good practice to "play around" Cone of Cold whenever possible. Having your high Attack-low Health minions or 1-Health minions as far away from each other as possible is a good idea because this will make it hard for your opponent to Freeze or kill both or all of them at once using a single Cone of Cold. Placing minions that cannot be targeted by spells or Hero Powers or minions with Stealth in between your higher priority minions is very effective against Cone of Cold. If you don't have these at hand, minions that you care less if are Frozen, such as minions that have low Attack-high Health, or minions which are important for other reasons than being able to attack, as well as minions that trigger beneficial effects when they receive a point of damage, are good fillers in between higher priority Cone of Cold targets.
Lore[edit | edit source]
In World of Warcraft, Cone of Cold is a mage spell that behaves similarly to the spell in Hearthstone. It is a point-blank Area of Effect spell that deals frost damage to all enemies in front of the caster. The spell also snares all enemies it hits with a 60% speed reduction for 8 seconds.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This card's art appears to depict two Banshees.
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Icecrown" series, for the card Cone of Cold.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 184.108.40.20643 (2013-12-18): Mana cost is now 4 (up from 3).