|Tags:||Area of effect, Damage-related, Ongoing effect|
Your minions can't be reduced below 1 Health this turn. Draw a card.
"Shout! Shout! Let it all out!" - Advice to warriors-in-training
How to get[edit | edit source]
Commanding Shout can be obtained through Classic card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Regular Commanding Shout can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of a Ranked season, or as a first-time reward for first time reaching Silver 10 or Gold 10 in Ranked mode.
|Golden Commanding Shout||800||100|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This spell creates an ongoing effect that grants the 'Commanding Shout enchantment' to all minions you control (and takes it away from minions you don't control) whenever auras update. This leads to the following interactions:
- Commanding Shout's effect wears off of minions stolen from you (such as by Sylvanas Windrunner) and will start applying to minions you steal.
- The Commanding Shout enchantment is granted to newly summoned minions prior to the activation of any summoning-related Secrets, with the result that the buff will prevent a played minion from being destroyed by Snipe. However, if you play Grim Patron, Commanding Shout and Bouncing Blade, you do not get the expected result of a full board of 3/1 Patrons, because the Commanding Shout Enchantment is only applied between Phases. Similarly, if Commanding Shout draws Sea Reaver, your minions might die to the damage, because Auras have not updated for the first time yet.
- If one of your minions is Transformed, the post-transformed minion will have the Commanding Shout effect.
- If one of your minions is Silenced, the minion will retain the Commanding Shout effect.
- The 'Commanding Shout enchantment' prevents the affected minion's current Health from dropping below 1, regardless of the source of damage (combat, spells or other damaging effects).
- If an affected minion receives damage that would take it below 1 Health, that damage will only take it to 1 Health. If the minion was already at 1 Health, its Health will remain unchanged, and thus any on-damage triggered effects such as Frothing Berserker, Acolyte of Pain or Water Elemental will not be activated.
- Commanding Shout does not prevent minions from being directly destroyed, such as by Destroy effects.
- Commanding Shout does not prevent minions from having their stats adjusted, such as by Reversing Switch, and will not prevent such effects from killing minions.
- Although Commanding Shout reduces the effects of damage taken by affected minions, it does not modify how much damage was considered to be dealt when queried by effects like Imp-losion. For example, if you cast Imp-losion on a minion protected by Commanding Shout, you summon as many Imps as the damage displayed, even if the target's current Health did not change.
- Commanding Shout lasts for the duration of the turn, and will end at the start of the opponent's turn.
- For additional details, see Damage#Advanced rules.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Commanding Shout can be used to let your minions attack your opponent's without any risk of your own minions dying. It can also be used to trigger a Hunter's Explosive Trap or kill an Abomination without losing any minions. Most notably the spell combos exceptionally well with Bouncing Blade.
Commanding Shout is useful in combination with Grim Patron, allowing you to generate new Grim Patrons by attacking enemy minions, with a new Patron guaranteed even against high Attack targets that would normally destroy the Patron outright. This can also allow you to get through big Taunts like Sludge Belcher, and build up a huge bonus on Frothing Berserkers. However, be aware that damage-related effects like Grim Patron and Frothing Berserker will not be activated if Commanding Shout causes the target to take 0 damage.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The card's flavor text "Shout! Shout! Let it all out!" is taken from the 1984 song 'Shout' by English new wave band Tears for Fears.
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Through the Dark Portal" series, for the card Commanding Shout.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 126.96.36.19990 (2013-10-02): Now costs 2 (up from 1) and also draws you a card.
- Patch 188.8.131.5288 (2013-06-22): Now costs 1 Mana, down from 2.
- Previously: Your minions can't be reduced below 1 Health this turn. [1 mana, Rare]
References[edit | edit source]