Classic (formerly known as Expert) is the largest card set in Hearthstone, with 240 collectible cards. The Classic set serves as one of the two core card sets in Hearthstone, the other being the Basic set. The set was first made available to the public in January 2014 when beta-testing was first announced for the game, in the era of Classic Hearthstone.
The Classic set's purpose is to ground players in a core set in which players will always be familiar with, in the face of an ever-changing pool of cards available to be played in Standard format. The Classic and Basic sets are the only two permanent sets that will always be available to be played in Standard format, while all other sets will eventually move over time to Wild format.
Classic cards frequently feature as core cards in successful decks, and the developers constantly monitor the power of Classic cards to ensure they do not form too large a proportion of decklists, thus causing the meta to become excessively stale. Cards are also monitored for their playability in the meta, as seen in the Priest rework in March 2020. Consequently, throughout Hearthstone's history, many major and minor card changes have been implemented in the Classic set, occasionally moving certain Classic cards to the Hall of Fame set in Wild format, with new card additions taking their place.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Classic card packs can be found as rewards given in the Arena, the Tavern Brawl, various quests, and periodic Hearthstone special promotion events. Classic card packs can also be obtained from the Welcome Bundle. Individual Classic cards can be found in the Highest Rank Bonus chest, for Golden cards only. Classic cards can also be crafted.
Cards[edit | edit source]
The Classic card set features 240 collectible cards, including 110 neutral cards and 135 class cards (15 for each class). Classic cards can be recognized by the iconic Hearthstone swirl behind the card text.
Neutral[edit | edit source]
- Common (38 cards)
- Rare (35 cards)
- Epic (9 cards)
- Legendary (23 cards)
- Dream cards
Class cards[edit | edit source]
There are a total of 135 collectible class cards in the Classic set.
Druid[edit | edit source]
- Choice cards
Hunter[edit | edit source]
Mage[edit | edit source]
Paladin[edit | edit source]
Priest[edit | edit source]
Rogue[edit | edit source]
Shaman[edit | edit source]
Warlock[edit | edit source]
Warrior[edit | edit source]
Battlefield[edit | edit source]
Four battlefields were available when the game first released.
History[edit | edit source]
- See also: Hearthstone timeline
Development[edit | edit source]
- See also: Design and development of Hearthstone
Card changes[edit | edit source]
- See also: Card changes
The following is a list of game-changing updates that have been implemented to the cards in the Classic set since beta. Similarly, for card changes in the Basic set, please see Card changes in the Basic set.
Patch 184.108.40.20690 (2013-10-02)
- Wrath can no longer be cast on heroes.
- Cenarius costs 9 (up from 8).
- Starfall can now only hit minions. [Previously: 'Choose One - Deal 5 damage to an enemy; or 2 damage to all of them.']
- Ancient of Lore’s Healing option now only restores 5 Health. (down from 8)
- Savagery costs 1 (down from 3), and must target a single minion. [Previously: 'Deal damage equal to your hero's Attack to all enemy minions.']
- Scavenging Hyena – Now only triggers from your own Beasts. [Previously also triggered from enemy Beasts]
- Sorcerer's Apprentice has 1 more Attack. [Now a 3/2, up from a 2/2]
- Prophet Velen – Now also doubles the damage and healing of your Hero Power. [Previously only spells]
- Cabal Shadow Priest – now a 4/5 (up from 3/4).
- Lightspawn has 1 more Health. [Now a 0/5, up from a 0/4]
- Divine Favor now costs 1 more. [Now costs 3, up from 2]
- Preparation – Now reduces next spell cost by 3 (up from 2).
- Defias Ringleader has 1 less Health. [Now a 2/2, down from a 2/3]
- Conceal costs 1 Mana (up from 0).
- Headcrack costs 3 Mana (up from 2).
- Edwin VanCleef is now a 2/2, but no longer has Stealth. [Previously a 1/1 with 'Stealth. Combo: Gain +2/+2 for each other card played this turn.']
- Pit Lord - Now a 5/6 with ‘Battlecry: Deal 5 damage to your hero’. [Previously a 7/5 with 'Battlecry: Deal 7 damage to your hero.']
- Cruel Taskmaster has 1 more Health. [Now a 2/2, up from a 2/1]
- Inner Rage’s +2 Attack effect no longer goes away at the end of the turn.
- Battle Rage costs 3 (up from 2), and also counts damaged heroes.
- Frothing Berserker has 1 more Attack. [Now a 2/4, up from a 1/4]
- Commanding Shout now costs 2 (up from 1) and also draws you a card.
- Sunfury Protector now only gives adjacent minions Taunt. Previously: Battlecry: Your other minions gain Taunt.
- Mana Wraith – Now a 2/2 (was a 1/3).
- Pint-sized Summoner – The cost reduction has been reduced from 2 to 1.
- Injured Blademaster has 1 more Attack. [Now a 4/7, up from a 3/7]
- Lorewalker Cho has 1 less Attack. [Now a 0/4, down from a 1/4]
- The Beast is now 9/7 (was 10/6).
- Lightwarden now gains +2 Attack per heal. [Previously gained +1]
- Twilight Drake is now a 4/1 with ‘Battlecry: Gain +1 Health for each card in your hand.’ [Previously: a 1/1 with 'Battlecry: Gain +1/+1 for each card in your hand.']
- Captain Greenskin is now a 5/4 with ‘Battlecry: Give your weapon +1/+1.’ [Previously a 5/5 with 'Whenever you attack with your hero, draw a card.']
Patch 220.127.116.1137 (2013-10-17)
- Battle Rage now costs 2 (down from 3) and now only counts friendly characters.
Patch 18.104.22.16817 (2013-12-10)
- Unleash the Hounds has been reworked and now reads: “(4) For each enemy minion, summon a 1/1 Hound with Charge”.
- Flame Imp’s Battlecry now deals 3 damage (up from 2).
- Argent Commander is now a 4/2 (was a 4/3).
Patch 22.214.171.12443 (2013-12-18)
Patch 126.96.36.19958 (2014-01-16)
- Unleash the Hounds now costs 2 (down from 4)
- Pyroblast now costs 10 (up from 8)
- Blood Imp is now a 0/1 (down from 1/1) and now reads: Stealth. At the end of your turn, give another random friendly minion +1 Health. [Previously: Stealth. Your other minions have +1 Health.]
Patch 188.8.131.5244 (2014-03-11)
- Tinkmaster Overspark is now a 3/3 (up from 2/2) and now reads: Battlecry: Transform another random minion into a 5/5 Devilsaur or a 1/1 Squirrel. [Previously: Battlecry: Transform a minion into a 5/5 Devilsaur or a 1/1 Squirrel at random.]
- Nat Pagle now reads: At the start of your turn, you have a 50% chance to draw an extra card. [Previously: At the end of your turn, you have a 50% chance to draw a card.]
Patch 184.108.40.20614 (2014-05-08)
- Unleash the Hounds now costs 3 (up from 2).
Patch 220.127.116.1124 (2014-07-22)
- Eaglehorn Bow now reads “Whenever a friendly Secret is revealed, gain +1 Durability”.
Patch 18.104.22.16885 (2014-09-22)
- Leeroy Jenkins now costs 5 (up from 4)
Patch 22.214.171.12434 (2014-12-04)
- Flare now costs 2 (up from 1)
- Gadgetzan Auctioneer now costs 6 (up from 5)
- Bestial Wrath can no longer target enemy Beasts. Text now reads "Give a friendly Beast +2 Attack and Immune this turn." Previously "Give a Beast +2 Attack and Immune this turn."
- 9 mechanical minions were changed to Mechs, previously having no minion type: Harvest Golem, Damaged Golem, Alarm-o-Bot, Demolisher, Mechanical Dragonling, and all of Gelbin Mekkatorque's inventions: Repair Bot, Emboldener 3000, Homing Chicken and Poultryizer.
- The druid minions resulting from Druid of the Claw's Choose One effect were changed to Beasts: Druid of the Claw (Cat Form) and Druid of the Claw (Bear Form).
Patch 126.96.36.19911 (2015-03-31)
- Bane of Doom can now summon any collectible Demon. [Previously limited to Blood Imp, Voidwalker, Flame Imp, Dread Infernal, Succubus and Felguard]
Patch 188.8.131.5266 (2015-06-15)
- Shadow of Nothing (created by Mindgames when the opponent's deck has no minions remaining in it) no longer has a hidden triggered effect which destroys itself at the end of the turn.
Patch 184.108.40.20674 (2016-04-24)
- Ancient of Lore - Card text changed from "Choose One - Draw 2 cards; or Restore 5 Health." to "Choose One - Draw a card; or Restore 5 Health."
- Force of Nature - Cost reduced from 6 to 5. Card text changed from "Summon three 2/2 Treants with Charge that die at the end of the turn." to "Summon three 2/2 Treants." Treants summoned by this spell no longer have Charge but no longer die at the end of the turn.
- Keeper of the Grove - Changed from a 2/4 to a 2/2.
- Ironbeak Owl - Cost increased from 2 to 3.
- Big Game Hunter - Cost increased from 3 to 5.
- Blade Flurry - Cost increased from 2 to 4. Card text changed from "Destroy your weapon and deal its damage to all enemies." to "Destroy your weapon and deal its damage to all enemy minions."
- Knife Juggler - Changed from a 3/2 to a 2/2.
- Leper Gnome - Changed from a 2/1 to a 1/1.
- Arcane Golem - Changed from a 4/2 to a 4/4. No longer has Charge.
- Molten Giant - Cost increased from 20 to 25.
- Master of Disguise - Card text changed from "Battlecry: Give a friendly minion Stealth." to "Battlecry: Give a friendly minion Stealth until your next turn."
Patch 220.127.116.1130 (2016-10-03)
- Abusive Sergeant - Attack reduced from 2 to 1.
Patch 18.104.22.16881 (2016-10-20)
- Coldlight Seer now reads "Battlecry: Give your other Murlocs +2 Health."
- Murloc Tidecaller now reads "Whenever you summon a Murloc, gain +1 Attack."
- Murloc Warleader now reads "Your other Murlocs have +2/+1."
Patch 22.214.171.12436 (2017-04-04)
- Conceal, Ice Lance, Power Overwhelming, Azure Drake, Ragnaros the Firelord, and Sylvanas Windrunner moved to the Hall of Fame.
- 9 minions that previously had no subtype have now gained the Elemental subtype: Frost Elemental, Baron Geddon, Ragnaros the Firelord, Flame of Azzinoth, Lightspawn, Dust Devil, Unbound Elemental, Earth Elemental, and Al'Akir the Windlord.
Patch 126.96.36.19970 (2017-09-18)
- Murloc Warleader now reads: Your other Murlocs have +2 Attack. (Down from +2 Attack, +1 Health)
Patch 188.8.131.5266 (2018-04-10)
- Ice Block, Coldlight Oracle, and Molten Giant are moved to the Hall of Fame. In addition, Molten Giant is being reduced to its original mana cost of 20, down from 25.
Patch 184.108.40.20652 (2018-07-10)
Patch 220.127.116.11358 (2018-10-18)
- Mana Wyrm - Cost increased from 1 to 2.
Patch 18.104.22.168405 (2018-11-05)
Patch 22.214.171.124329 (2018-12-19)
- Nourish – Now costs 6 mana, up from 5.
Patch 126.96.36.199855 (2019-02-05)
Patch 188.8.131.52933 (2019-04-09)
- Doomguard, Naturalize, and Divine Favor are moved to the Hall of Fame.
- The Choice cards for Wrath, Nourish, Power of the Wild, and Mark of Nature are changed.
Patch 184.108.40.206761 (2019-07-01)
- Seven new cards added to the Classic set: Siegebreaker, Gift of the Wild, Righteousness, Brightwing, High Inquisitor Whitemane, Barrens Stablehand, SI:7 Infiltrator, Arcane Devourer.
- Windfury Harpy, Secretkeeper, Eviscerate, Bite, Deadly Shot, Headcrack have received new card art.
Patch 220.127.116.11222 (2020-03-26)
- Auchenai Soulpriest, Shadowform, Holy Fire, and Prophet Velen are moved to the Hall of Fame.
- Kul Tiran Chaplain, Scarlet Subjugator, Shadow Word: Ruin, and Natalie Seline are added to the Classic set.
- Thoughtsteal - Now costs 2 mana, down from 3.
- Shadow Madness - Now costs 3 mana, down from 4.
- Temple Enforcer - Stats changed to 5/6 from 6/6. Now costs 5 mana, down from 6.
- Illidan Stormrage is replaced with Xavius.
Patch 18.104.22.168828 (2021-01-08)
- Edwin VanCleef - Now costs 4 mana, up from 3.
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2014-12-01).
(Expansions / Adventures / Mini-sets)