Classic (formerly known as Expert) is the largest card set in Hearthstone, with 240 collectible cards. The Classic set serves as one of the two core card sets in Hearthstone, the other being the Basic set. The set was first made available to the public in January 2014 when beta-testing was first announced for the game, in the era of Classic Hearthstone. The Classic set originally featured 245 cards when it first released, but now the set contains 240 cards, due to the removal of some cards to the Hall of Fame, and the addition of new cards on November 5, 2018.
The Classic set's purpose is to ground players in a core set in which players will always be familiar with, in the face of an ever-changing pool of cards available to be played in Standard format. The Classic and Basic sets are the only two permanent sets that will always be available to be played in Standard format, while all other sets will eventually move over time to Wild format.
Classic cards frequently feature as core cards in successful decks, and the developers constantly monitor the set's power to ensure the cards do not form too large a proportion of decklists, thus causing the meta to become excessively stale. Consequently, throughout Hearthstone's history, many major and minor card changes have been implemented to cards in the Classic set.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Classic card packs can be found as rewards given in the Arena, the Tavern Brawl, various quests, and periodic Hearthstone special promotion events. Classic card packs can also be obtained from the Welcome Bundle. Individual Classic cards can be found in the Highest Rank Bonus chest, for Golden cards only. Classic cards can also be crafted.
Cards[edit | edit source]
The Classic card set features 237 collectible cards, including 105 neutral cards and 135 class cards (15 for each class). Classic cards can be recognized by the iconic Hearthstone swirl behind the card text.
Neutral[edit | edit source]
- Common (40 cards)
- Rare (34 cards)
- Epic (9 cards)
- Legendary (22 cards)
- Dream cards
Class cards[edit | edit source]
There are a total of 132 collectible class cards in the Classic set.
Druid[edit | edit source]
- Choice cards
- Fandral Staghelm
Hunter[edit | edit source]
Mage[edit | edit source]
Paladin[edit | edit source]
Priest[edit | edit source]
Rogue[edit | edit source]
Shaman[edit | edit source]
Warlock[edit | edit source]
Warrior[edit | edit source]
Battlefield[edit | edit source]
Four battlefields were available when the game first released.
History[edit | edit source]
- See also: Hearthstone timeline
Development[edit | edit source]
- See also: Design and development of Hearthstone
Card changes[edit | edit source]
- See also: Card changes
The following is a list of game-changing updates that have been implemented to the cards in the Classic set since beta. Similarly, for card changes in the Basic set, please see Card changes in the Basic set.
Patch 22.214.171.12490 (2013-10-02)
- Wrath can no longer be cast on heroes.
- Cenarius costs 9 (up from 8).
- Starfall can now only hit minions. [Previously: 'Choose One - Deal 5 damage to an enemy; or 2 damage to all of them.']
- Ancient of Lore’s Healing option now only restores 5 Health. (down from 8)
- Savagery costs 1 (down from 3), and must target a single minion. [Previously: 'Deal damage equal to your hero's Attack to all enemy minions.']
- Scavenging Hyena – Now only triggers from your own Beasts. [Previously also triggered from enemy Beasts]
- Sorcerer's Apprentice has 1 more Attack. [Now a 3/2, up from a 2/2]
- Prophet Velen – Now also doubles the damage and healing of your Hero Power. [Previously only spells]
- Cabal Shadow Priest – now a 4/5 (up from 3/4).
- Lightspawn has 1 more Health. [Now a 0/5, up from a 0/4]
- Divine Favor now costs 1 more. [Now costs 3, up from 2]
- Preparation – Now reduces next spell cost by 3 (up from 2).
- Defias Ringleader has 1 less Health. [Now a 2/2, down from a 2/3]
- Conceal costs 1 Mana (up from 0).
- Headcrack costs 3 Mana (up from 2).
- Edwin VanCleef is now a 2/2, but no longer has Stealth. [Previously a 1/1 with 'Stealth. Combo: Gain +2/+2 for each other card played this turn.']
- Pit Lord - Now a 5/6 with ‘Battlecry: Deal 5 damage to your hero’. [Previously a 7/5 with 'Battlecry: Deal 7 damage to your hero.']
- Cruel Taskmaster has 1 more Health. [Now a 2/2, up from a 2/1]
- Inner Rage’s +2 Attack effect no longer goes away at the end of the turn.
- Battle Rage costs 3 (up from 2), and also counts damaged heroes.
- Frothing Berserker has 1 more Attack. [Now a 2/4, up from a 1/4]
- Commanding Shout now costs 2 (up from 1) and also draws you a card.
- Sunfury Protector now only gives adjacent minions Taunt. Previously: Battlecry: Your other minions gain Taunt.
- Mana Wraith – Now a 2/2 (was a 1/3).
- Pint-sized Summoner – The cost reduction has been reduced from 2 to 1.
- Injured Blademaster has 1 more Attack. [Now a 4/7, up from a 3/7]
- Lorewalker Cho has 1 less Attack. [Now a 0/4, down from a 1/4]
- The Beast is now 9/7 (was 10/6).
- Lightwarden now gains +2 Attack per heal. [Previously gained +1]
- Twilight Drake is now a 4/1 with ‘Battlecry: Gain +1 Health for each card in your hand.’ [Previously: a 1/1 with 'Battlecry: Gain +1/+1 for each card in your hand.']
- Captain Greenskin is now a 5/4 with ‘Battlecry: Give your weapon +1/+1.’ [Previously a 5/5 with 'Whenever you attack with your hero, draw a card.']
Patch 126.96.36.19937 (2013-10-17)
- Battle Rage now costs 2 (down from 3) and now only counts friendly characters.
Patch 188.8.131.5217 (2013-12-10)
- Unleash the Hounds has been reworked and now reads: “(4) For each enemy minion, summon a 1/1 Hound with Charge”.
- Flame Imp’s Battlecry now deals 3 damage (up from 2).
- Argent Commander is now a 4/2 (was a 4/3).
Patch 184.108.40.20643 (2013-12-18)
Patch 220.127.116.1158 (2014-01-16)
- Unleash the Hounds now costs 2 (down from 4)
- Pyroblast now costs 10 (up from 8)
- Blood Imp is now a 0/1 (down from 1/1) and now reads: Stealth. At the end of your turn, give another random friendly minion +1 Health. [Previously: Stealth. Your other minions have +1 Health.]
Patch 18.104.22.16844 (2014-03-11)
- Tinkmaster Overspark is now a 3/3 (up from 2/2) and now reads: Battlecry: Transform another random minion into a 5/5 Devilsaur or a 1/1 Squirrel. [Previously: Battlecry: Transform a minion into a 5/5 Devilsaur or a 1/1 Squirrel at random.]
- Nat Pagle now reads: At the start of your turn, you have a 50% chance to draw an extra card. [Previously: At the end of your turn, you have a 50% chance to draw a card.]
Patch 22.214.171.12414 (2014-05-08)
- Unleash the Hounds now costs 3 (up from 2).
Patch 126.96.36.19924 (2014-07-22)
- Eaglehorn Bow now reads “Whenever a friendly Secret is revealed, gain +1 Durability”.
Patch 188.8.131.5285 (2014-09-22)
- Leeroy Jenkins now costs 5 (up from 4)
Patch 184.108.40.20634 (2014-12-04)
- Flare now costs 2 (up from 1)
- Gadgetzan Auctioneer now costs 6 (up from 5)
- Bestial Wrath can no longer target enemy Beasts. Text now reads "Give a friendly Beast +2 Attack and Immune this turn." Previously "Give a Beast +2 Attack and Immune this turn."
- 9 mechanical minions were changed to Mechs, previously having no minion type: Harvest Golem, Damaged Golem, Alarm-o-Bot, Demolisher, Mechanical Dragonling, and all of Gelbin Mekkatorque's inventions: Repair Bot, Emboldener 3000, Homing Chicken and Poultryizer.
- The druid minions resulting from Druid of the Claw's Choose One effect were changed to Beasts: Druid of the Claw (Cat Form) and Druid of the Claw (Bear Form).
Patch 220.127.116.1111 (2015-03-31)
- Bane of Doom can now summon any collectible Demon. [Previously limited to Blood Imp, Voidwalker, Flame Imp, Dread Infernal, Succubus and Felguard]
Patch 18.104.22.16866 (2015-06-15)
- Shadow of Nothing (created by Mindgames when the opponent's deck has no minions remaining in it) no longer has a hidden triggered effect which destroys itself at the end of the turn.
Patch 22.214.171.12474 (2016-04-24)
- Ancient of Lore - Card text changed from "Choose One - Draw 2 cards; or Restore 5 Health." to "Choose One - Draw a card; or Restore 5 Health."
- Force of Nature - Cost reduced from 6 to 5. Card text changed from "Summon three 2/2 Treants with Charge that die at the end of the turn." to "Summon three 2/2 Treants." Treants summoned by this spell no longer have Charge but no longer die at the end of the turn.
- Keeper of the Grove - Changed from a 2/4 to a 2/2.
- Ironbeak Owl - Cost increased from 2 to 3.
- Big Game Hunter - Cost increased from 3 to 5.
- Blade Flurry - Cost increased from 2 to 4. Card text changed from "Destroy your weapon and deal its damage to all enemies." to "Destroy your weapon and deal its damage to all enemy minions."
- Knife Juggler - Changed from a 3/2 to a 2/2.
- Leper Gnome - Changed from a 2/1 to a 1/1.
- Arcane Golem - Changed from a 4/2 to a 4/4. No longer has Charge.
- Molten Giant - Cost increased from 20 to 25.
- Master of Disguise - Card text changed from "Battlecry: Give a friendly minion Stealth." to "Battlecry: Give a friendly minion Stealth until your next turn."
Patch 126.96.36.19930 (2016-10-03)
- Abusive Sergeant - Attack reduced from 2 to 1.
Patch 188.8.131.5281 (2016-10-20)
- Coldlight Seer now reads "Battlecry: Give your other Murlocs +2 Health."
- Murloc Tidecaller now reads "Whenever you summon a Murloc, gain +1 Attack."
- Murloc Warleader now reads "Your other Murlocs have +2/+1."
Patch 184.108.40.20636 (2017-04-04)
- Conceal, Ice Lance, Power Overwhelming, Azure Drake, Ragnaros the Firelord, and Sylvanas Windrunner moved to the Hall of Fame.
- Several minions that previously had no subtype have now gained the Elemental subtype.
Patch 220.127.116.1170 (2017-09-18)
- Murloc Warleader now reads: Your other Murlocs have +2 Attack. (Down from +2 Attack, +1 Health)
Patch 18.104.22.16866 (2018-04-10)
- Ice Block, Coldlight Oracle, and Molten Giant are moved to the Hall of Fame. In addition, Molten Giant is being reduced to its original mana cost of 20, down from 25.
Patch 22.214.171.124358 (2018-10-18)
- Mana Wyrm - Cost increased from 1 to 2.
Patch 126.96.36.199405 (2018-11-05)
Patch 188.8.131.52329 (2018-12-19)
- Nourish – Now costs 6 mana, up from 5.
Patch 184.108.40.206855 (2019-02-05)
Patch 220.127.116.11933 (2019-04-09)
- Doomguard, Naturalize, and Divine Favor are moved to the Hall of Fame.
- The Choice cards for Wrath, Nourish, Power of the Wild, and Mark of Nature are changed.
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2014-12-01).
(Expansions / Adventures)