- "They do not die; they do not live. They are outside the cycle." - Herald Volazj
Ancient horrors of unspeakable evil, the Old Gods have corrupted Azeroth and its inhabitants for millennia. Imprisoned by the Titans, the Old Gods now lay chained beneath the earth, beaten... but not defeated. Sending their sinister tendrils and maddening whispers out into the minds of any who stray too near to their prisons, these nightmarish creatures still hold a great, dark power over Azeroth and its inhabitants, twisting and corrupting even the bravest and noblest of souls, and commanding armies of cultists to do their bidding.
The known Old Gods do not originate on Azeroth, but travelled there countless ages ago, plummeting out of the Great Dark to engorge themselves upon the fertile flesh of the young world. C'Thun, Yogg-Saron, N'Zoth and Y'Shaarj once ruled over all Azeroth, dominating even the Elemental Lords, with their countless minions locked in endless battle. The Old Gods' corruption touched the world so deeply that even the Titans could not remove them without destroying Azeroth in the process, and they were instead incarcerated beneath the earth in vast prisons, and left to dream their dark dreams. Buried but not forgotten, the Old Gods are behind many of the greatest threats Azeroth has ever known, and still others yet to come.
Lore[edit | edit source]
- The Old Gods (also known as the Old-Gods, old lords of the earth, Gods Below, or Shath'Yar in their own language) are a group of eldritch horrors who are physical manifestations of the Void. Created by the void lords in order to find and corrupt slumbering titan world-souls, the Old Gods are mountains of flesh who grow like cancers within the worlds of the Great Dark.
- Four Old Gods — Y'Shaarj, C'Thun, Yogg-Saron and N'Zoth — ruled the planet of Azeroth as lords of the Black Empire in the days before the titans arrived to shape and order it. The armies of the titan Pantheon shattered the Old Gods' citadels and killed Y'Shaarj, but in doing so, the titans realized that the Old Gods had embedded themselves too deep in the world's surface to remove without destroying Azeroth itself. Thus, they instead decided to imprison the Old Gods below the surface of the world and contain their evil forever. C'Thun was sealed in the fortress city of Ahn'Qiraj, N'Zoth was sealed in an underground prison in an unknown location, and Yogg-Saron was imprisoned in the city of Ulduar.
- Though chained or dead, the Old Gods' influence still corrupts mortals, and even immortals, to this day. Along with the Burning Legion, they are one of the most powerful and reoccurring threats found in the Warcraft series of games and books, especially in World of Warcraft: Cataclysm. While players are constantly fighting off the dealings and machinations of Azeroth's Old Gods, there are in fact more elsewhere in the cosmos, such as one that almost manifested on Outland.
In Hearthstone[edit | edit source]
- Legend has it, the Old Gods’ voices are dread whispers that no mere mortal can hope to resist. It is said that for millennia uncounted the massive Old Gods lay dreaming in ageless sleep deep beneath the surface of Azeroth. Maybe noisy taverns full of laughter, shouts of triumph, and clanking tankards are like a snooze alarm you can’t turn off, and this whole Old-Gods-waking-up thing is entirely our fault!
- Whatever the cause, those nameless tentacled terrors are finally rousing from their naps, and with their waking insidious corruption is seeping up from the stygian depths! Still, there’s no need to fear (mostly!). Civilization is safe (for now!). They haven’t come for the utter domination of all life on Azeroth (probably!).
- Now that they’re awake (and they’ve had a chance to stretch their various appendages, rub the sleep out of their many, many eyes, and have a healthy breakfast), the Old Gods have decided to put their malignant might into mortal hands. . . in the form of disgustingly potent Hearthstone cards!
- "The Old Gods are these massive creatures, who are chained beneath the earth... These are the creatures who enslaved Ragnaros, and the other Elemental Lords. They created the Nerubians and the Faceless Manipulators... These are the things that turned Deathwing into Deathwing... In the world of Super Villains, these are the Super Villains of Super Villains.
- "Their only weakness... is that they are chained beneath the earth, and they can only really work via influence, by whispering to the creatures around them and slowly corrupting them over time."
Cards[edit | edit source]
This section lists cards which depict Old Gods, as well as those which depict the creations or visible influence of the Old Gods.
Old Gods[edit | edit source]
|Name / Desc||Rarity||Type||Subtype||Class||Cost||Atk||HP||Description|
Battlecry: Deal damage equal to this minion's Attack randomly split among all enemies. C'Thun's least favorite Hearthstone card: Eye for an Eye.
|N'Zoth, the Corruptor||Legendary||Minion||General||Any||10||5||7|
Battlecry: Summon your Deathrattle minions that died this game. Has not been able to get "Under the Sea" out of his head for like FIVE THOUSAND YEARS.
|Y'Shaarj, Rage Unbound||Legendary||Minion||General||Any||10||10||10|
At the end of your turn, put a minion from your deck into the battlefield. When he's working out, he binds all that rage back into a ponytail.
|Yogg-Saron, Hope's End||Legendary||Minion||General||Any||10||7||5|
Battlecry: Cast a random spell for each spell you've cast this game (targets chosen randomly). I spell your doom... Y-O-U-R D-O-O-M!
|Showing all 4 cards|
Old God art[edit | edit source]
|Name / Desc||Rarity||Type||Subtype||Class||Cost||Atk||HP||Description|
Give a minion +5/+5. At the start of your next turn, destroy it.
|Twin Emperor Vek'nilash||None||Minion||General||Any||7||4||6|
|The Ancient One||None||Minion||General||Any||9||30||30|
Gain 8 Armor.
Give your hero +4 Attack this turn.
|N'Zoth's First Mate||Common||Minion||Pirate||Warrior||1||1||1|
Battlecry: Equip a 1/3 Rusty Hook. Hates when N'Zoth yells "Ahoy Matey!!", but there's not really much he can do about it.
|Tentacle of N'Zoth||Common||Minion||General||Any||1||1||1|
Deathrattle: Deal 1 damage to all minions. Because EVERYDAY is the Day of the Tentacle of N'zoth.
|A Light in the Darkness||Common||Spell||Paladin||2|
Discover a minion. Give it +1/+1. Wait, how can you have a light in the dark? If you turn on a light while it’s dark, doesn’t that mean it’s no longer dark?
Battlecry: Summon a 1/1 Ooze with Taunt. Bile actually makes for surprisingly sturdy fins.
Often excluded from dinner parties. To be fair, he is very boaring.
Deathrattle: Add a Lackey to your hand. Kobold! There's a place you can handle
I said kobold! When you're short in the candle
Cast a spell with the E! V! I! L!
|Mark of Y'Shaarj||Common||Spell||Druid||2|
Give a minion +2/+2. If it's a Beast, draw a card. Y'shaarj had three sons: Mark, Theodore, and Chris.
Stealth Sometimes the Old Gods' corruptions gives you power untold, sometimes you get +1 Attack. We can’t all be winners in the Eldritch lottery.
After you summon a minion, gain +1 Attack. Democracy in action!
Choose One - Give your hero +4 Attack this turn; or Gain 8 Armor. Let's be honest. One option is a lot ragier than the other.
Battlecry: Deal 1 damage to all other minions. But goes by "Ravishing Ghoul" when he hits the club.
Taunt Yeah, I think we can agree that killing the squirming tentacle first is a good idea.
Has +2 Attack while damaged. I berserk, therefore I am.
Spell Damage +2 You no take tentacle!
Taunt. Deathrattle: Summon a 2/2 Slime. The Overmind and the Old Gods are surprisingly similar.
Deathrattle: Draw a card. Roll ‘greed’ OR THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU.
Battlecry: Restore 5 Health. The secret ingredient: liquified funnel cake.
|Power Word: Tentacles||Common||Spell||Priest||5|
Give a minion +2/+6. Because you're wrapped in a protective layer of… tentacles?
Divine Shield "Annoyinger-o-Tron" was just too unwieldy. And accurate.
|Stand Against Darkness||Common||Spell||Paladin||5|
Summon five 1/1 Silver Hand Recruits. Or if you're too tired, you can just kind of lean against the darkness.
Taunt He's tried other things, but bog sidling, bog ambling, and bog trundling just aren't as effective as bog creeping.
Windfury They say that "grotesque is in the eye of the beholder," but that's just because they've never seen a Grotesque Dragonhawk. Yikes!
Spend all your Mana. Summon that many 1/1 Tentacles. Actually, C'Thun gives his full support for this ritual.
Summon a 2/2 Slime.
Gain an empty Mana Crystal.
Transform your minions into random minions that cost (1) more. So you say you want an evolution. Well, you know. We all want to change the board.
Deathrattle: Give a random friendly minion Divine Shield. "Don't worry about me… I'll just be here... under these tentacles."
After you summon a minion, give it +1/+1. Druids who spend too long in bear form are more susceptible to the whispers of the Old Gods. Right now they are whispering the lyrics to "La Bamba".
Battlecry: If you control another Pirate, give your weapon +1/+1. They're really just in it for the Blood Parrot.
Can only attack if your hero attacked this turn. If your hero doesn't attack, it's just "Silithid Loner".
Battlecry: Gain +1 Attack for each other card in your hand. Still fearsome in the daytime.
Choose One - Summon a 2/2 Slime; or Gain an empty Mana Crystal. "Hey.... Is that Mire for sale?" "No. I'm keeping it."
Deathrattle: Restore 8 Health to the enemy hero. Not so much "corrupted" as "has terrible aim".
Battlecry: Deal 2 damage to all non-Murloc minions. For seers, it's very handy to have your crystal ball hanging right in front of your face.
Battlecry: Give your C'Thun +2/+2 (wherever it is). Just before he comes into play, there is an AWESOME training montage with C'thun.
|Thing from Below||Rare||Minion||General||Shaman||6||5||5|
Taunt. Costs (1) less for each Totem you've summoned this game. Just can't resist the opportunity to hang around with a bunch of totems.
Transform a friendly minion into one that costs (1) more. Repeatable this turn. They grow up so fast.
Battlecry: Your Hero Power becomes 'Summon a 1/1 Murloc.' Nobody expects the Vilefin Inquisition!
Battlecry: Unlock your Overloaded Mana Crystals. Just try to avoid eye contact.
Deathrattle: Summon a 5/5 Faceless Destroyer. If you strike him down, he shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.
Add 3 random Mage spells to your hand. What's in there? I bet it's cookie recipes!
|Tentacles for Arms||Epic||Weapon||Warrior||5||2||2|
Deathrattle: Return this to your hand. That's right. Garrosh just slapped you to death with a tentacle.
At the start of your turn, double this minion's Attack. I like it because it scales.
|Wisps of the Old Gods||Epic||Spell||Druid||7|
Choose One - Summon seven 1/1 Wisps; or Give your minions +2/+2. They're just normal wisps, actually. The "Of the Old Gods" bit is just marketing.
|Blood of The Ancient One||Epic||Minion||General||Any||9||9||9|
If you control two of these at the end of your turn, merge them into 'The Ancient One'. Add two cups of Blood of the Ancient One to one cup of lemon juice. Add just a dash of sugar and stir. Delicious!
Destroy all minions. Draw a card for each. We ran out of space for "DOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!"
|Nat, the Darkfisher||Legendary||Minion||General||Any||2||2||4|
At the start of your opponent's turn, they have a 50% chance to draw an extra card. You can take away his humanity, but you will never take away his fishing pole.
|Shaku, the Collector||Legendary||Minion||General||Rogue||3||2||3|
Stealth. Whenever this minions attacks, add a random card to your hand (from your opponent's class). Aya even staged an intervention once, but Shaku still insists that he is not a hoarder.
Battlecry: Trigger a friendly minion's Deathrattle. She flitters around Ahn'Qiraj dreaming of the day she will meet a sweet prince, whom she can lay thousands of eggs with.
|Mukla, Tyrant of the Vale||Legendary||Minion||Beast||Any||6||5||5|
Battlecry: Add 2 Bananas to your hand. Pro tip: DO NOT BOGART THE BANANAS.
Battlecry: The next spell you cast this turn costs Health instead of Mana. Even after all this time, Gul'dan still makes Cho'gall go get donuts and coffee.
|Hogger, Doom of Elwynn||Legendary||Minion||General||Any||7||6||6|
Whenever this minion takes damage, summon a 2/2 Gnoll with Taunt. When C'thun went to sleep, he checked under his bed for Hogger.
Battlecry: Equip a random weapon. Garrosh's best buddy. It's true. Look it up.
|Twin Emperor Vek'lor||Legendary||Minion||General||Any||7||4||6|
Battlecry: If your C'Thun has at least 10 Attack, summon another Emperor. Do they make decisions based on age? "I'm two minutes older therefore we burn this village."
Deathrattle: If you have no cards in your deck, hand, and battlefield, destroy the enemy hero. "Your software will fail. Your users will abandon you. You are already obsolete."
|Showing all 67 cards|
References[edit | edit source]
- Heed the Whispers of the Old Gods. (2016-03-11).
- Hearthstone: Whispers of the Old Gods new expansion full announce. (2016-03-11).