|Set:||Kobolds and Catacombs|
|Abilities:||Battlecry, Copy, Deathrattle, Destroy, Summon|
Battlecry: Destroy a friendly minion.
Deathrattle: Summon 2 copies of it.
He's always grumpy until he's eaten his first barista of the morning.
How to get
|Golden Carnivorous Cube||1600||400|
- The two minions summoned by the Carnivorous Cube's Deathrattle will be in their base state, undamaged and with no enchantments, regardless of the state of the original minion at the time it was destroyed by the Cube.
- If a Carnivorous Cube is summoned without activating its Battlecry (e.g. if played on an empty board or summoned by a Coffin Crasher), it will be "empty", and its Deathrattle will have no effect. It will, however, still have a Deathrattle icon on the battlefield and will count as a Deathrattle minion for synergy effects such as Awaken the Makers and N'Zoth, the Corruptor.
- If a Carnivorous Cube swallows another Carnivorous Cube (triggering its Deathrattle as usual for destroy effects), it will summon two "empty" Carnivorous Cubes upon death, meaning that the Deathrattles of the two summoned Cubes will have no effect and will not summon any additional minions.
Carnivorous Cube gives the player an additional copy of the destroyed minion, but this comes with the cost of initially weakening your board and the value being delayed. While duplicating a large minion like The Lich King is a good option if you can afford being behind on the board, a less costly alternative is to target a minion with with a powerful Deathrattle, giving you two more uses of its Deathrattle and allowing N'Zoth, the Corruptor to potentially summon more copies of the destroyed minion.
While its stats aren't too terrible, cards that can kill it off or activate its Deathrattle instantly, like Dark Pact and Play Dead, will give you immediate returns. If comboed with Spiritsinger Umbra, it summons two copies of the minion immediately, as well as two more after the Cube is destroyed, which greatly multiplies the minion's value.
Carnivorous Cube can also be used on Charge minions, which is more effective if you can reliably kill it off quickly. Doomguard is very effective with this combo, which can be brought out for free with Possessed Lackey or Skull of the Man'ari. This can furthermore be combined with Spiritsinger Umbra to gain the two copies of Doomguard immediately, after which the Cube can be killed off with Dark Pact or Sanguine Reveler to create two more, dealing up to 25 damage for 10 mana.
- If Carnivorous Cube destroys a minion with a zone-moving effect, and it's transformed while on board (currently only confirmed with Anub'arak) Cube's deathrattle will summon post-transformed minion.
- Carnivorous Cube's effect was modeled after the Moat Lurker card from One Night in Karazhan, which was well liked by the developers.
- Carnivorous Cube was originally called Gelatinous Trapezoid during development of Kobolds and Catacombs.
- The idea of a cube-shaped slime monster is likely based on the gelatinous cube from Dungeons & Dragons.
- Patch 10.0.0.22611 (2017-12-06): Added.
- HysteriA (2018-12-23). Hearthstone Mythbusters 74. Retrieved on 2018-12-24.
- BlizzCon 2017 - Hearthstone | What's Next panel
- IGN (2018-01-17). The Hearthstone Team on Designing Cubelock and Why They Like Big Priest. Retrieved on 2018-01-22.