|Set:||Kobolds and Catacombs|
|Health:||15-20(first rank) 50-60(second rank)|
This kobold pirate's favorite move is chaaaarrrge!
Hero powers[edit | edit source]
|Rank 1||Rank 2|
Deck[edit | edit source]
This deck used in both rounds.
|Xaril, Poisoned Mind||1|
|Dark Iron Skulker||2|
|Genzo, the Shark||1|
|Piloted Sky Golem||2|
|Sneed's Old Shredder||1|
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
- King Togwaggle
- Candlebeard think finding buried treasure make kobold a pirate.
- Snicker me whiskers!
- Sloop in my throat!
- Flick me wicks!
- Trigger me diggers!
- Scuttle it, ye tunnellubber!
Hero Power on a big minion
- Oh, ho HO!
- Yo ho... no...
- Ha! Hoist by ye own petard!
Strategy[edit | edit source]
In his first form, Candlebeard takes the form of an Aggro. Thanks to his hero power, he is able to give his minions Charge for a cheap price. However, this is not a big deal as he can only give one charge every turn. The best way to counter this is to keep his board empty or prepare it for any scenario. Aside from a Vanish, Candlebeard lacks board clear. Thus thinking ahead is always better. In conclusion, control the board, keep up the pressure, destroy any minion that he plays and you should be fine.
Should you encounter him later on, his Aggro deck gets difficult to deal with. Aside from having more health and the same deck, Candlebeard's Hero power gives his minions automatic Charge. This is devastating as Candlebeard will always be one step ahead. The situation is dire but not impossible. The most common counter is to build a board full of taunt minions. However, you are not guaranteed to have them.
The best idea is to keep Candlebeard occupied. This can be done with a mana curve by dropping a minion on the board every turn. All his minions that attack yours will be killed or damaged. Until you get to 7 or higher mana, keep him occupied. You are allowed to take face damage, but keep your health from becoming critical.(under 15 Health) Once you have more mana and more cards, formulate a strategy around the situation. Like Rank 1 fight, gain control of the board should be a priority.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Candlebeard appears in Tale of the Fox where he encounters Marin the Fox and tells him about his plot to raid the treasures of Vustrasz the Ancient. Marin disarms him and takes his crew hostage.
- Kobolds are rat-like humanoids that dwell in underground tunnels and spend their lives mining, primarily for gold. They evolved from troggs.They are cowardly, cringing folk who live in fear of larger races and rarely venture outside their tunnels. However, while not powerful individually, they congregate in large numbers and can prove a nuisance and occasionally a danger.
- Kobolds live in tunnels going deep into the Alterac and Redridge Mountains. Kobolds are most at home in the dark underground, as bright light causes them discomfort. As they cannot, however, see perfectly in the dark, kobolds also have a great affinity for candles.
- Kobolds are cowardly and flee from most combat. Nonetheless, they are tenacious and fierce when cornered, so when their lairs (or candles) are threatened, they attack with abandon. Unfortunately for them, they are not particularly intelligent and their tactics leave much to be desired: though they are naturally stealthy, they use this ability for escape more than ambush, and they usually try to overwhelm opponents with large numbers rather than defeat them using strategic cunning. Further, kobolds are sometimes so cowardly that they refuse to help their friends when they fall under attack nearby – these craven creatures will simply go about their business (sweating in fear all the while) and hope that the troublesome adventurers will leave them alone.
- Kobolds trade the gold and other minerals they unearth to goblins and other patrons for all the goods they need to survive; occasionally they purchase protection as well. They will take over abandoned mines and scavenge equipment whenever they can do so safely.
- The grimy, vermin-like kobolds dwell deep within the crags and rocky caves of the Redridge Mountains. These slovenly creatures are best known for their penchant for digging and their underground excavations. Most recently, the Kobolds have found themselves falling prey to the merciless Riverpaw Pack of Gnolls. These cunning Gnolls have proven themselves to be merciless taskmasters, forcing the Kobolds into an existence of neverending drudgery. Since their enslavement, the historically meek Kobolds have grown bitter and aggressive toward any creature that meddles with their ceaseless labor.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 10.0.0.22611 (2017-12-06): Added.