|Set:||Whispers of the Old Gods|
|Tags:||Class-related, Random, Spell-generating|
Add 3 random Mage spells to your hand.
What's in there? I bet it's cookie recipes!
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden Cabalist's Tome||1600||400|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If you play this card in order to get a single specific spell, these are the chances to get what you need:
- There are 0 standard format mage spells that can be generated, giving a Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character "[".% chance for each of the 3 cards generated to be a given card, and a Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character "[".% chance of at least one of the cards to be a given card.
- There are 0 wild format mage spells that can be generated, giving a Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character "[".% chance for each of the 3 cards, and a Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character "[".% chance for at least one of the cards to be the desired one.
- These chances will continue to change when new expansions are released and when cards move from standard to wild format.
- This card is capable of generating more copies of Cabalist's Tome.
- While this allows for a theoretically unlimited number of created spells, the chance of chaining Cabalist's Tome into itself multiple times is extremely low. On average, an initial Tome will generate approximately Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character "[". spell cards in Standard or Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character "[". in Wild, assuming each new Tome is also played - only slightly better than the 3 spells received if Cabalist's Tome could not create copies of itself.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
A great late-game card when the player has barely any spells left in their deck, or has nearly emptied their hand.
Extremely good in Arena where spells are difficult to obtain.
Possible spells[edit | edit source]
|Name / Desc||Rarity||Class||Cost||Description|
Deal 3 damage randomly split among all enemies. You'd think you'd be able to control your missiles a little better since you're a powerful mage and all.
Summon two 0/2 minions with Taunt. Oh hey it's Mirror Image! !egamI rorriM s'ti yeh hO
Deal 1 damage to all enemy minions. This spell is much better than Arcane Implosion.
Deal 3 damage to a character and Freeze it. It is customary to yell "Chill out!" or "Freeze!" or "Ice ice, baby!" when you play this card.
Draw 2 cards. Playing this card makes you SMARTER. And let's face it: we could all stand to be a little smarter.
Freeze all enemy minions. Hey man, that's cold. Literally and metaphorically.
Deal 6 damage. This spell is useful for burning things. If you're looking for spells that toast things, or just warm them a little, you're in the wrong place.
Transform a minion into a 1/1 Sheep. There was going to be a pun in this flavor text, but it just came out baa-d.
Deal 4 damage to all enemy minions. When the ground is on fire, you should not stop, drop, and roll.
Sidequest: Spend 8 Mana on spells. Reward: Summon a 6/6 Dragon. Upon taking up the spellbook, Reno realized with a start: "I can't read."
Discover a Spell Damage minion. Your next one costs (1) less. A long forgotten tome whose very essence seeps of magic. 40 dust, used.
|Ray of Frost||Common||Mage||1|
Freeze a minion. If it's already Frozen, deal 2 damage to it. If you have zero chill, this can help.
|Tome of Intellect||Common||Mage||1|
Add a random Mage spell to your hand. Just a compilation of napkins of intellect.
Draw a Secret from your deck. It costs (0). I'm not saying it was aliens, but it was TOTALLY aliens!
Reduce the Cost of spells in your deck by (1). "Gettin' them discounts in bulk amounts, spells can come, and spells can go, castin' costs drop with my sweet, sweet flow."
Secret: After a minion attacks your hero, deal 3 damage to all enemy minions. Not to be confused with the burn ward.
Secret: When your hero is attacked, gain 8 Armor. This is Rank 1. Rank 2 is Chocolate Milk Barrier.
Secret: After your opponent plays a minion, summon a copy of it. "You go first." - Krush'gor the Behemoth, to his pet boar.
Secret: After your opponent casts a spell, summon a random 4-Cost minion. More aromatic than a regular portal.
|Cone of Cold||Common||Mage||4|
Freeze a minion and the minions next to it, and deal 1 damage to them. Magi of the Kirin Tor were casting Cubes of Cold for many years before Cones came into fashion some 90 years ago.
Deal 2 damage to a minion. If you're holding a Dragon, Discover a spell. One of many side effects from eating mana cookies.
Freeze a minion.
Combo: Also deal 3 damage to it. "The professor called on me, and I totally froze!"
Sidequest: Play an Elemental 2 turns in a row.
Reward: Draw 3 spells from your deck. Reno’s lucky he wasn’t caught by a fire elemental.
|Font of Power||Rare||Mage||1|
Discover a Mage minion. If your deck has no minions, keep all 3. It's Comic Sans.
Discover a spell that costs (3) or less. The world is not ready for an illusion of this depth and intricacy!
Add 2 random minions to your hand. Let's see what's behind rift number one!
Draw 1 card (improved by Spell Damage). The font of the arcane gives nearly limitless access to power and energy! But it can't keep you awake, for that we still use coffee.
Secret: When your opponent casts a spell, Counter it. What's the difference between a mage playing with Counterspell and a mage who isn't? The mage who isn't is getting Pyroblasted in the face.
Secret: When a minion attacks your hero, destroy it. Rumor has it that Deathwing brought about the Cataclysm after losing a game to this card. We may never know the truth.
Destroy a minion. Summon 2 minions of the same Cost to replace it. If only you'd let it go to voicemail...
Deal 2 damage to all enemy minions and Freeze them. This spell can be very Entertaining.
Freeze an enemy. Summon two 3/6 Water Elementals. "Dancing with the Satyrs… on Ice!"
Shoot three missiles at random enemy minions that transform them into ones that cost (1) less. Most intermural spell-dueling contests end with a field of wisps.
Deal 2 damage to a minion. If it's Frozen, draw a card. This may appear weak at frost glance, but it's actually a very ice spell.
Deal 4 damage to a minion. Any excess damages both neighbors. Sally is friends with three Silverhand Recruits conveniently standing in a line. After casting this spell, how many friends does she have left? (Show your work.)
Secret: When an enemy casts a spell on a minion, summon a 1/3 as the new target. While it's fun to intercept enemy lightning bolts, a spellbender much prefers to intercept opposing Marks of the Wild. It just feels meaner. And blood elves... well, they're a little mean.
|Potion of Illusion||Epic||4|
Add 1/1 copies of your minions to your hand. They cost (1). Unfortunately, there's no potion that can make you unsee all the faces in that bottle.
Deal 5 damage. If your deck has no minions, summon a random 5-Cost minion. Lonely mages can still have a blast!
Deal 8 damage to a minion. Any excess damage continues to the left or right. Why don't they ever run perpendicular?
|Power of Creation||Epic||Mage||8|
Discover a 6-Cost minion. Summon two copies of it. Mostly used for party tricks, to be honest.
|Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron||Epic||Mage||10|
Cast 10 random spells
(targets chosen randomly). "PUT THE BOX DOWN, RENO!"
Deal 10 damage. Take the time for an evil laugh after you draw this card.
Fill your hand with random Mage spells. At the end of your turn, discard them. You too could be the winner of the national spelling spree!
|Raid the Sky Temple||Legendary||Mage||1|
Quest: Cast 10 spells.
Reward: Ascendant Scroll. "Why can't I hold all these scrolls?"
|Showing all 44 cards|
Lore[edit | edit source]
- The most populous of those who count among the Old Gods’ mortal servants—including Yogg-Saron’s followers—are the Twilight Cultists. Some speculate that they got that name because they are working to bring about the twilight of the world. The truth is, it’s just a book club that got really, REALLY, out of hand. Their taste in literature is extremely questionable, but their fan fiction is absolutely packed with, uh, “interesting” passages. Bonus: this book licks your thumb for you when it’s time to flip the page!
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 184.108.40.20674 (2016-04-24): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- PlayHearthstone on Twitter. (2016-03-31).
- This is an expected value problem where the numeric outcome of each event depends on the expected value itself, i.e.: EV = (3)(P(0 tomes)) + (2+EV)(P(1 tome)) + (1+2*EV)(P(2 tomes)) + (3*EV)(P(3 tomes)). Since the probabilities in this equation are dependent on the number of spells currently in the game, it will change as new expansions are released. In general, if there are n mage spells in the game, then the average number of spell cards generated by a single copy of Cabalist's Tome is 3(n-1)/(n-3).
- Whispers of the Old Gods – It's Never a Yawn with Yogg-Saron. (2016-04-07).