|Set:||Whispers of the Old Gods|
|Tags:||Class-related, Random, Spell-generating|
Add 3 random Mage spells to your hand.
What's in there? I bet it's cookie recipes!
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden Cabalist's Tome||1600||400|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If you play this card in order to get a single specific spell, these are the chances to get what you need:
- There are 0 standard format mage spells that can be generated, giving a Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character "[".% chance for each of the 3 cards generated to be a given card, and a Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character "[".% chance of at least one of the cards to be a given card.
- There are 0 wild format mage spells that can be generated, giving a Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character "[".% chance for each of the 3 cards, and a Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character "[".% chance for at least one of the cards to be the desired one.
- These chances will continue to change when new expansions are released and when cards move from standard to wild format.
- This card is capable of generating more copies of Cabalist's Tome.
- While this allows for a theoretically unlimited number of created spells, the chance of chaining Cabalist's Tome into itself multiple times is extremely low. On average, an initial Tome will generate approximately Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character "[". spell cards in Standard or Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character "[". in Wild, assuming each new Tome is also played - only slightly better than the 3 spells received if Cabalist's Tome could not create copies of itself.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
A great late-game card when the player has barely any spells left in their deck, or has nearly emptied their hand.
Extremely good in Arena where spells are difficult to obtain.
Possible spells[edit | edit source]
|Name / Desc||Rarity||Class||Cost||Description|
Deal 3 damage randomly split among all enemies. You'd think you'd be able to control your missiles a little better since you're a powerful mage and all.
Summon two 0/2 minions with Taunt. Oh hey it's Mirror Image! !egamI rorriM s'ti yeh hO
Deal 1 damage to all enemy minions. This spell is much better than Arcane Implosion.
Deal 3 damage to a character and Freeze it. It is customary to yell "Chill out!" or "Freeze!" or "Ice ice, baby!" when you play this card.
Draw 2 cards. Playing this card makes you SMARTER. And let's face it: we could all stand to be a little smarter.
Freeze all enemy minions. Hey man, that's cold. Literally and metaphorically.
Deal 6 damage. This spell is useful for burning things. If you're looking for spells that toast things, or just warm them a little, you're in the wrong place.
Transform a minion into a 1/1 Sheep. There was going to be a pun in this flavor text, but it just came out baa-d.
Deal 4 damage to all enemy minions. When the ground is on fire, you should not stop, drop, and roll.
The next Elemental you play this turn costs (2) less. It's just lighter fluid.
Sidequest: Spend 8 Mana on spells. Reward: Summon a 6/6 Dragon. Upon taking up the spellbook, Reno realized with a start: "I can't read."
|Ray of Frost||Common||Mage||1|
Freeze a minion. If it's already Frozen, deal 2 damage to it. If you have zero chill, this can help.
Deal 1 damage to a minion and the minions next to it. Literally starstruck.
|Tome of Intellect||Common||Mage||1|
Add a random Mage spell to your hand. Just a compilation of napkins of intellect.
Draw a Secret from your deck. It costs (0). I'm not saying it was aliens, but it was TOTALLY aliens!
Each player draws 2 cards. Abstract: Analyzing systemic applications of coldlight data sets vis-a-vis shuffle-related paradigms. Conclusion: Yay, cards!
Freeze a minion. If it's already Frozen, destroy it. Lick the ice block. I triple-double-dog-dare-you.
Secret: After a minion attacks your hero, deal 3 damage to all enemy minions. Not to be confused with the burn ward.
Secret: When your hero is attacked, gain 8 Armor. This is Rank 1. Rank 2 is Chocolate Milk Barrier.
Secret: After your opponent plays a minion, summon a copy of it. "You go first." - Krush'gor the Behemoth, to his pet boar.
|Cone of Cold||Common||Mage||4|
Freeze a minion and the minions next to it, and deal 1 damage to them. Magi of the Kirin Tor were casting Cubes of Cold for many years before Cones came into fashion some 90 years ago.
Deal 2 damage to a minion. If you're holding a Dragon, Discover a spell. One of many side effects from eating mana cookies.
Sidequest: Play an Elemental 2 turns in a row.
Reward: Draw 3 spells from your deck. Reno’s lucky he wasn’t caught by a fire elemental.
Discover a spell that costs (3) or less. The world is not ready for an illusion of this depth and intricacy!
Add 2 random minions to your hand. Let's see what's behind rift number one!
Deal 5 damage randomly split among all enemies. Forecast: Cloudy with a chance of fireballs.
Secret: When your opponent casts a spell, Counter it. What's the difference between a mage playing with Counterspell and a mage who isn't? The mage who isn't is getting Pyroblasted in the face.
Secret: When a minion attacks your hero, destroy it. Rumor has it that Deathwing brought about the Cataclysm after losing a game to this card. We may never know the truth.
Destroy a minion. Summon 2 minions of the same Cost to replace it. If only you'd let it go to voicemail...
Deal 4 damage to a minion. If you played an Elemental last turn, this costs (1). The hoof.
The hoof is on fire.
Deal 2 damage to all enemy minions and Freeze them. This spell can be very Entertaining.
|Book of Specters||Epic||Mage||2|
Draw 3 cards. Discard any spells drawn. Known throughout the land as the Spooky-nomicon.
Deal 2 damage to a minion. If it's Frozen, draw a card. This may appear weak at frost glance, but it's actually a very ice spell.
Secret: When an enemy casts a spell on a minion, summon a 1/3 as the new target. While it's fun to intercept enemy lightning bolts, a spellbender much prefers to intercept opposing Marks of the Wild. It just feels meaner. And blood elves... well, they're a little mean.
Secret: When one of your minions is attacked, summon a copy of it. Sometimes you get punched so hard they see double.
Summon two random 2-Cost minions (improved by Spell Damage). Sometimes science is more art than science. A lot of people don't get that.
Deal 2 damage to all minions.
Overkill: Add a random Mage spell to your hand. If you’re burning and you know it, wave your hands!
Deal 8 damage to a minion. Any excess damage continues to the left or right. Why don't they ever run perpendicular?
|Power of Creation||Epic||Mage||8|
Discover a 6-Cost minion. Summon two copies of it. Mostly used for party tricks, to be honest.
|Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron||Epic||Mage||10|
Cast 10 random spells
(targets chosen randomly). "PUT THE BOX DOWN, RENO!"
Deal 10 damage. Take the time for an evil laugh after you draw this card.
|Raid the Sky Temple||Legendary||Mage||1|
Quest: Cast 10 spells.
Reward: Ascendant Scroll. "Why can't I hold all these scrolls?"
|Luna's Pocket Galaxy||Legendary||Mage||7|
Change the Cost of minions in your deck to (1). Luna became head of the astronomy department when her boss invented the Pocket Black Hole.
|Showing all 43 cards|
Lore[edit | edit source]
- The most populous of those who count among the Old Gods’ mortal servants—including Yogg-Saron’s followers—are the Twilight Cultists. Some speculate that they got that name because they are working to bring about the twilight of the world. The truth is, it’s just a book club that got really, REALLY, out of hand. Their taste in literature is extremely questionable, but their fan fiction is absolutely packed with, uh, “interesting” passages. Bonus: this book licks your thumb for you when it’s time to flip the page!
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 188.8.131.5274 (2016-04-24): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- PlayHearthstone on Twitter. (2016-03-31).
- This is an expected value problem where the numeric outcome of each event depends on the expected value itself, i.e.: EV = (3)(P(0 tomes)) + (2+EV)(P(1 tome)) + (1+2*EV)(P(2 tomes)) + (3*EV)(P(3 tomes)). Since the probabilities in this equation are dependent on the number of spells currently in the game, it will change as new expansions are released. In general, if there are n mage spells in the game, then the average number of spell cards generated by a single copy of Cabalist's Tome is 3(n-1)/(n-3).
- Whispers of the Old Gods – It's Never a Yawn with Yogg-Saron. (2016-04-07).