|Set:||Whispers of the Old Gods|
|Tags:||Class-related, Random, Spell-generating|
Add 3 random Mage spells to your hand.
What's in there? I bet it's cookie recipes!
How to get[edit | edit source]
Cabalist's Tome can be obtained through Whispers of the Old Gods card packs purchased online from the Battle.net shop, or through crafting. Golden Cabalist's Tome can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of each Ranked season.
|Golden Cabalist's Tome||1600||400|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If you play this card in order to get a single specific spell, these are the chances to get what you need:
- There are 0 standard format mage spells that can be generated, giving a Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character "[".% chance for each of the 3 cards generated to be a given card, and a Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character "[".% chance of at least one of the cards to be a given card.
- There are 0 wild format mage spells that can be generated, giving a Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character "[".% chance for each of the 3 cards, and a Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character "[".% chance for at least one of the cards to be the desired one.
- These chances will continue to change when new expansions are released and when cards move from standard to wild format.
- This card is capable of generating more copies of Cabalist's Tome.
- While this allows for a theoretically unlimited number of created spells, the chance of chaining Cabalist's Tome into itself multiple times is extremely low. On average, an initial Tome will generate approximately Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character "[". spell cards in Standard or Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character "[". in Wild, assuming each new Tome is also played - only slightly better than the 3 spells received if Cabalist's Tome could not create copies of itself.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
A great late-game card when the player has barely any spells left in their deck, or has nearly emptied their hand.
Extremely good in Arena where spells are difficult to obtain.
Possible spells[edit | edit source]
|Name / Desc||Rarity||Class||Cost||Description|
Deal 1 damage to all enemy minions. This spell is much better than Arcane Implosion.
Draw 2 cards. Playing this card makes you SMARTER. And let's face it: we could all stand to be a little smarter.
Deal 3 damage randomly split among all enemies. You'd think you'd be able to control your missiles a little better since you're a powerful mage and all.
Deal 6 damage. This spell is useful for burning things. If you're looking for spells that toast things, or just warm them a little, you're in the wrong place.
Deal 4 damage to all enemy minions. When the ground is on fire, you should not stop, drop, and roll.
Freeze all enemy minions. Hey man, that's cold. Literally and metaphorically.
Deal 3 damage to a character and Freeze it. It is customary to yell "Chill out!" or "Freeze!" or "Ice ice, baby!" when you play this card.
Summon two 0/2 minions with Taunt. Oh hey it's Mirror Image! !egamI rorriM s'ti yeh hO
Transform a minion into a 1/1 Sheep. There was going to be a pun in this flavor text, but it just came out baa-d.
|Breath of Sindragosa||Common||Mage||1|
Deal 2 damage to a random enemy minion and Freeze it. Is it cold in here or is it just Sindragosa?
|Cone of Cold||Common||Mage||4|
Freeze a minion and the minions next to it, and deal 1 damage to them. Magi of the Kirin Tor were casting Cubes of Cold for many years before Cones came into fashion some 90 years ago.
Deal 2 damage. Add a 1/2 Elemental to your hand. Oh, a wise geyser eh?
Secret: After your opponent plays a minion, put 2 copies of it into your hand. It's like déjà vu, times two.
Secret: When your hero is attacked, gain 8 Armor. This is Rank 1. Rank 2 is Chocolate Milk Barrier.
Secret: After your opponent plays a minion, summon a copy of it. "You go first." - Krush'gor the Behemoth, to his pet boar.
Each player draws 2 cards. Abstract: Analyzing systemic applications of coldlight data sets vis-a-vis shuffle-related paradigms. Conclusion: Yay, cards!
Each turn this is in your hand, transform it into a random Mage spell. Next turn, this is going to be AMAZING.
Deal 1 damage to a minion and the minions next to it. Literally starstruck.
Freeze a minion. If it's already Frozen, destroy it. Lick the ice block. I triple-double-dog-dare-you.
Add 2 random minions to your hand. Let's see what's behind rift number one!
Deal 2 damage to all enemy minions and Freeze them. This spell can be very Entertaining.
Deal 5 damage randomly split among all enemies. Forecast: Cloudy with a chance of fireballs.
Secret: When your opponent casts a spell, Counter it. What's the difference between a mage playing with Counterspell and a mage who isn't? The mage who isn't is getting Pyroblasted in the face.
Secret: After your opponent plays a minion, deal 6 damage to it and any excess to their hero. Sometimes it's safer NOT to read the warning signs.
|Lesser Ruby Spellstone||Rare||Mage||2|
Add a random Mage spell to your hand. (Play two Elementals to upgrade.) The final stone undid its master
Spun into wards by nameless caster
Azari wailed a savage roar
Now sealed in nether, evermore.
Secret: When your opponent cast a spell, add a copy to your hand that costs (0). Nice spell. YOINK!
Choose a friendly minion. Summon a copy of it. Dang, I'm looking pretty hot!
Secret: When a minion attacks your hero, destroy it. Rumor has it that Deathwing brought about the Cataclysm after losing a game to this card. We may never know the truth.
|Book of Specters||Epic||Mage||2|
Draw 3 cards. Discard any spells drawn. Known throughout the land as the Spooky-nomicon.
|Deck of Wonders||Epic||Mage||5|
Shuffle 5 Scrolls into your deck. When drawn, cast a random spell. "Pick a card, any card. Wait! No! Not that one!" - Last words of previous owner
Reveal a spell from your deck. Deal damage equal to its Cost to all minions. "C'mon Hucklemuck. She'll never notice if we take just one little coin."
Put one of each Secret from your deck into the battlefield. The secret is in the frosting.
Deal 15 damage to a minion and 3 damage to adjacent ones. When you absolutely, positively, have to kill all the dinosaurs.
Discover a spell.
Reduce its Cost by (2). It's the Ancient Tol'vir symbol for "Whoops!"
Deal 10 damage. Take the time for an evil laugh after you draw this card.
Copy the lowest Cost minion in your hand. It's like déjà vu, times two.
Secret: When an enemy casts a spell on a minion, summon a 1/3 as the new target. While it's fun to intercept enemy lightning bolts, a spellbender much prefers to intercept opposing Marks of the Wild. It just feels meaner. And blood elves... well, they're a little mean.
Summon two random 2-Cost minions (improved by Spell Damage). Sometimes science is more art than science. A lot of people don't get that.
|Luna's Pocket Galaxy||Legendary||Mage||7|
Change the Cost of minions in your deck to (1). Luna became head of the astronomy department when her boss invented the Pocket Black Hole.
|Open the Waygate||Legendary||Mage||1|
Quest: Cast 6 spells that didn't start in your deck.
Reward: Time Warp. Although powerful, the incantation is simple. It’s just a jump to the left, and then a step to the right.
|Showing all 40 cards|
Lore[edit | edit source]
- The most populous of those who count among the Old Gods’ mortal servants—including Yogg-Saron’s followers—are the Twilight Cultists. Some speculate that they got that name because they are working to bring about the twilight of the world. The truth is, it’s just a book club that got really, REALLY, out of hand. Their taste in literature is extremely questionable, but their fan fiction is absolutely packed with, uh, “interesting” passages. Bonus: this book licks your thumb for you when it’s time to flip the page!
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 22.214.171.12474 (2016-04-24): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- PlayHearthstone on Twitter. (2016-03-31).
- This is an expected value problem where the numeric outcome of each event depends on the expected value itself, i.e.: EV = (3)(P(0 tomes)) + (2+EV)(P(1 tome)) + (1+2*EV)(P(2 tomes)) + (3*EV)(P(3 tomes)). Since the probabilities in this equation are dependent on the number of spells currently in the game, it will change as new expansions are released. In general, if there are n mage spells in the game, then the average number of spell cards generated by a single copy of Cabalist's Tome is 3(n-1)/(n-3).
- Whispers of the Old Gods – It's Never a Yawn with Yogg-Saron. (2016-04-07).