|Set:||Whispers of the Old Gods|
|Tags:||Class-related, Random, Spell-generating|
Add 3 random Mage spells to your hand.
What's in there? I bet it's cookie recipes!
How to get[edit | edit source]
Cabalist's Tome can be obtained through Whispers of the Old Gods card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Golden Cabalist's Tome can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of each Ranked season.
|Golden Cabalist's Tome||1600||400|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If you play this card in order to get a single specific spell, these are the chances to get what you need:
- There are 40 standard format mage spells that can be generated, giving a 2.5% chance for each of the 3 cards generated to be a given card, and a 7.3% chance of at least one of the cards to be a given card.
- There are 51 wild format mage spells that can be generated, giving a 2% chance for each of the 3 cards, and a 5.8% chance for at least one of the cards to be the desired one.
- These chances will continue to change when new expansions are released and when cards move from standard to wild format.
- This card is capable of generating more copies of Cabalist's Tome.
- While this allows for a theoretically unlimited number of created spells, the chance of chaining Cabalist's Tome into itself multiple times is extremely low. On average, an initial Tome will generate approximately 3.16 spell cards in Standard or 3.13 in Wild, assuming each new Tome is also played - only slightly better than the 3 spells received if Cabalist's Tome could not create copies of itself.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
A great late-game card when the player has barely any spells left in their deck, or has nearly emptied their hand.
Extremely good in Arena where spells are difficult to obtain.
Possible spells[edit | edit source]
|Name / Desc||Rarity||Class||Cost||Description|
|Arcane Explosion||Free||Mage||2||Deal 1 damage to all enemy minions. This spell is much better than Arcane Implosion.|
|Arcane Intellect||Free||Mage||3||Draw 2 cards. Playing this card makes you SMARTER. And let's face it: we could all stand to be a little smarter.|
|Arcane Missiles||Free||Mage||1||Deal 3 damage randomly split among all enemies. You'd think you'd be able to control your missiles a little better since you're a powerful mage and all.|
|Fireball||Free||Mage||4||Deal 6 damage. This spell is useful for burning things. If you're looking for spells that toast things, or just warm them a little, you're in the wrong place.|
|Flamestrike||Free||Mage||7||Deal 4 damage to all enemy minions. When the ground is on fire, you should not stop, drop, and roll.|
|Frost Nova||Free||Mage||3||Freeze all enemy minions. Hey man, that's cold. Literally and metaphorically.|
|Frostbolt||Free||Mage||2||Deal 3 damage to a character and Freeze it. It is customary to yell "Chill out!" or "Freeze!" or "Ice ice, baby!" when you play this card.|
|Mirror Image||Free||Mage||1||Summon two 0/2 minions with Taunt. Oh hey it's Mirror Image! !egamI rorriM s'ti yeh hO|
|Polymorph||Free||Mage||4||Transform a minion into a 1/1 Sheep. There was going to be a pun in this flavor text, but it just came out baa-d.|
|Breath of Sindragosa||Common||Mage||1||Deal 2 damage to a random enemy minion and Freeze it. Is it cold in here or is it just Sindragosa?|
|Cone of Cold||Common||Mage||4||Freeze a minion and the minions next to it, and deal 1 damage to them. Magi of the Kirin Tor were casting Cubes of Cold for many years before Cones came into fashion some 90 years ago.|
|Firelands Portal||Common||Mage||7||Deal 5 damage. Summon a random 5-Cost minion. Come to beautiful Firelands! Where it's "Way nicer than the Abyssal Maw!"'|
|Flame Geyser||Common||Mage||2||Deal 2 damage. Add a 1/2 Elemental to your hand. Oh, a wise geyser eh?|
|Freezing Potion||Common||Mage||0||Freeze an enemy. This is delicious! Oh no. BRAIN FREEEEEEEZE!|
|Frozen Clone||Common||Mage||3||Secret: After your opponent plays a minion, put 2 copies of it into your hand. It's like déjà vu, times two.|
|Ice Barrier||Common||Mage||3||Secret: When your hero is attacked, gain 8 Armor. This is Rank 1. Rank 2 is Chocolate Milk Barrier.|
|Mirror Entity||Common||Mage||3||Secret: After your opponent plays a minion, summon a copy of it. "You go first." - Krush'gor the Behemoth, to his pet boar.|
|Shatter||Common||Mage||2||Destroy a Frozen minion. What's cooler than being cool?|
|Shifting Scroll||Common||Mage||Each turn this is in your hand, transform it into a random Mage spell. Next turn, this is going to be AMAZING.|
|Blizzard||Rare||Mage||6||Deal 2 damage to all enemy minions and Freeze them. This spell can be very Entertaining.|
|Counterspell||Rare||Mage||3||Secret: When your opponent casts a spell, Counter it. What's the difference between a mage playing with Counterspell and a mage who isn't? The mage who isn't is getting Pyroblasted in the face.|
|Explosive Runes||Rare||Mage||3||Secret: After your opponent plays a minion, deal 6 damage to it and any excess to their hero. Sometimes it's safer NOT to read the warning signs.|
|Lesser Ruby Spellstone||Rare||Mage||2||Add a random Mage spell to your hand. (Play two Elementals to upgrade.) The final stone undid its master|
Spun into wards by nameless caster
Azari wailed a savage roar
Now sealed in nether, evermore.
|Mana Bind||Rare||Mage||3||Secret: When your opponent cast a spell, add a copy to your hand that costs (0). Nice spell. YOINK!|
|Molten Reflection||Rare||Mage||4||Choose a friendly minion. Summon a copy of it. Dang, I'm looking pretty hot!|
|Potion of Polymorph||Rare||Mage||3||Secret: After your opponent plays a minion, transform it into a 1/1 Sheep. Tastes like Baaaaananas.|
|Vaporize||Rare||Mage||3||Secret: When a minion attacks your hero, destroy it. Rumor has it that Deathwing brought about the Cataclysm after losing a game to this card. We may never know the truth.|
|Volcanic Potion||Rare||Mage||3||Deal 2 damage to all minions. The secret ingredient in Kazakus's award-winning chili recipe.|
|Cabalist's Tome||Epic||Mage||5||Add 3 random Mage spells to your hand. What's in there? I bet it's cookie recipes!|
|Deck of Wonders||Epic||Mage||5||Shuffle 5 Scrolls into your deck. When drawn, cast a random spell. "Pick a card, any card. Wait! No! Not that one!" - Last words of previous owner|
|Dragon's Fury||Epic||Mage||5||Reveal a spell from your deck. Deal damage equal to its Cost to all minions. "C'mon Hucklemuck. She'll never notice if we take just one little coin."|
|Forbidden Flame||Epic||Mage||0||Spend all your Mana. Deal that much damage to a minion. WARNING: This flame is not to be used unless you are a licensed acolyte of the Old Gods.|
|Glacial Mysteries||Epic||Mage||8||Put one of each Secret from your deck into the battlefield. The secret is in the frosting.|
|Greater Arcane Missiles||Epic||Mage||7||Shoot three missiles at random enemies that deal 3 damage each. Wow, and I thought Arcane Missiles was great!|
|Ice Block||Epic||Mage||3||Secret: When your hero takes fatal damage, prevent it and become Immune this turn. Ice is nice, and will suffice!|
|Meteor||Epic||Mage||6||Deal 15 damage to a minion and 3 damage to adjacent ones. When you absolutely, positively, have to kill all the dinosaurs.|
|Primordial Glyph||Epic||Mage||2||Discover a spell.|
Reduce its Cost by (2). It's the Ancient Tol'vir symbol for "Whoops!"
|Pyroblast||Epic||Mage||10||Deal 10 damage. Take the time for an evil laugh after you draw this card.|
|Simulacrum||Epic||Mage||3||Copy the lowest Cost minion in your hand. It's like déjà vu, times two.|
|Spellbender||Epic||Mage||3||Secret: When an enemy casts a spell on a minion, summon a 1/3 as the new target. While it's fun to intercept enemy lightning bolts, a spellbender much prefers to intercept opposing Marks of the Wild. It just feels meaner. And blood elves... well, they're a little mean.|
|Open the Waygate||Legendary||Mage||1||Quest: Cast 6 spells that didn't start in your deck.|
Reward: Time Warp. Although powerful, the incantation is simple. It’s just a jump to the left, and then a step to the right.
|Showing all 41 cards|
Lore[edit | edit source]
- The most populous of those who count among the Old Gods’ mortal servants—including Yogg-Saron’s followers—are the Twilight Cultists. Some speculate that they got that name because they are working to bring about the twilight of the world. The truth is, it’s just a book club that got really, REALLY, out of hand. Their taste in literature is extremely questionable, but their fan fiction is absolutely packed with, uh, “interesting” passages. Bonus: this book licks your thumb for you when it’s time to flip the page!
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 188.8.131.5274 (2016-04-24): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- PlayHearthstone on Twitter. (2016-03-31).
- This is an expected value problem where the numeric outcome of each event depends on the expected value itself, i.e.: EV = (3)(P(0 tomes)) + (2+EV)(P(1 tome)) + (1+2*EV)(P(2 tomes)) + (3*EV)(P(3 tomes)). Since the probabilities in this equation are dependent on the number of spells currently in the game, it will change as new expansions are released. In general, if there are n mage spells in the game, then the average number of spell cards generated by a single copy of Cabalist's Tome is 3(n-1)/(n-3).
- Whispers of the Old Gods – It's Never a Yawn with Yogg-Saron. (2016-04-07).