|Set:||Goblins vs Gnomes|
|Abilities:||Deal damage, Recurring|
|Tags:||Death-related, Health-related, Random|
Deal 1 damage to a random minion. Repeat until a minion dies.
Only goblins would think this was a good idea. Even they are starting to have their doubts.
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden Bouncing Blade||1600||400|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- As with other random effects, each bounce can hit any minion, including friendly and Stealthed ones; however, Bouncing Blade won't hit minions that are Immune, or at 1 Health and affected by Commanding Shout.
- If all non-Immune minions are affected by Commanding Shout, Bouncing Blade will bounce between them until they are all at 1 Health, and then stop.
- If there are no eligible targets (for example, if all targets are Immune or at 1 Health with Commanding Shout), Bouncing Blade will have no effect. 
- Bonuses from Spell Damage and Prophet Velen increase the amount of damage dealt by each bounce.
- Each bounce is resolved (queuing and resolving triggered effects, such as that of Acolyte of Pain) before checking its condition and eventually taking the next bounce.
- Bouncing Blade stops bouncing when damaging a minion (and resolving the damage) leads to the target minion becoming mortally wounded (i.e., at 0 or less Health) or pending destroy (i.e., hit by a Destroy effect).
- Notice that the 0-Health minion may survive dying: for example, if you have a Mal'Ganis in play and a newly spawned Imp from Imp Gang Boss is reduced to 0 Health by Bouncing Blade, Bouncing Blade will stop, but the Imp will gain +2/+2 from Mal'Ganis before Hearthstone checks for deaths, and thus it will survive.
- Bouncing Blade will bounce a maximum of 80 times. After this the effect will cease, even if no minions have been killed.
- Bouncing Blade will no longer be offered for selection in Arena, since the 15th of September 2016. However, it is still obtainable in Arena matches through random effects, such as Spellslinger.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Bouncing Blade obviously has great synergy with on-damage triggered effects such as Acolyte of Pain and Gurubashi Berserker. Minions such as Armorsmith, Axe Flinger and especially Frothing Berserker which also trigger from damage dealt to other minions offer even greater synergy.
Since it only deals damage until a minion dies, Bouncing Blade is less effective against a large board of smaller minions than it is against a few larger minions. Played on a board with 14 1/1 minions, Bouncing Blade will deal only a single point of damage, and remove only a 1/1. Played on a board with 2 8/8 minions, Bouncing Blade will deal between 8 and 15 damage, and remove an 8/8, as well as likely weakening the other target significantly.
Obviously, Bouncing Blade is best played when you have few if any minions on the board - synergies such as Frothing Berserker aside. It can be used to lower Health on multiple minions in order to make them removable using other attacks such as Whirlwind or Cleave. Commanding Shout and Immune aside, playing Bouncing Blade against a single target will guarantee the blade hitting that target as many times as necessary to destroy it, at least up to the 80 bounce limit. This means against a single minion Bouncing Blade can be relied upon to destroy that target. However, unlike destroy effects like Deadly Shot, Bouncing Blade will destroy a single target one point of Health at a time.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 188.8.131.5220 (2017-02-28): Will now correctly continue bouncing after clearing a Divine Shield.
- Unknown patch (between Patch 184.108.40.20604 and Patch 220.127.116.1190): The target minion becoming pending destroy now stops Bouncing Blade. Previously it did not.
- Patch 18.104.22.16834 (2014-12-04): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2014-11-09).
- https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/4imesc/til_that_mortal_coil_will_draw_a_card_when_a/d2zhzof Tested in Patch 22.214.171.12474 (WotOG patch)
- http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/18710645604 Tested in Patch 126.96.36.19986 (TGT patch)
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2014-12-21).
- Hearthside Chat: Upcoming Arena Changes with Dean Ayala. (2016-09-08).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2014-11-09).
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE6n-n8_7JU Tested in Patch 188.8.131.5204 (2015-10-20)