|Set:||The Grand Tournament|
|Tags:||Damage-related, Triggered effect|
Whenever your hero takes damage, this minion takes it instead.
Bolf keeps coming in 2nd at the Grand Tournament. It might be his year this year, if Lebron doesn't enter.
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden Bolf Ramshield||3200||1600|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Bolf Ramshield, Ice Block and Animated Armor are all predamage triggers, that trigger when your hero takes damage, before the damage is taken: Animated Armor has an early priority and always triggers first, and then Bolf Ramshield and Ice Block trigger in order of play.
- If Animated Armor and Bolf Ramshield are played together, Animated Armor will always reduce the damage to 1 before Bolf Ramshield intercepts it.
- If Bolf Ramshield is played before Ice Block, Bolf Ramshield will intercept fatal damage. If Ice Block is played before Bolf Ramshield, Ice Block will prevent fatal damage before Bolf Ramshield can intercept it.
- If multiple Bolf Ramshields are in play, the earliest played one is the one that will intercept the damage, due to play order.
- Any instance of damage taken by the hero while Bolf Ramshield is in play will be taken by him instead, including from Secrets and fatigue and regardless if its amount exceeds Bolf Ramshield's Health.  In addition, Bolf Ramshield can still intercept damage while mortally wounded (0 or less Health) up until the current Phase ends and Hearthstone checks for deaths.
- Technically, when Bolf Ramshield triggers, it prevents the Damage Event targeting your hero and creates a new Damage Event (with the same source and proposed damage) whose target is Bolf Ramshield himself. Thus, any effects which trigger from the attacking character dealing damage, such as Snowchugger and Queen of Pain, will still take effect if Bolf Ramshield intercepts the damage.
- Means of damage prevention or reduction such as Divine Shield on Bolf Ramshield will still function normally to prevent him from taking damage.
- For additional details, see Damage#Advanced rules.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- When Lifesteal from a minion triggers while Auchenai Soulpriest or Embrace the Shadow is in effect with Bolf Ramshield in play, it creates a loop where Bolf Ramshield absorbs the damage of reverse-Lifesteal while the Lifesteal minion constantly activates its effect until it heals or deals damage to the owner, stopping at 61 triggers.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
This minion's ability can be used as a modified Taunt that only prevents taking damage from the attacks against your hero. Normal Taunt minions can be bypassed by using direct damage, such as Nightblade, Fireball, or Steady Shot, but Bolf Ramshield will redirect this damage towards himself, if the hero is targeted. However, Bolf is less useful than Taunt against enemy minions as he cannot protect your other minions and can also be "traded" into without dealing retaliatory damage if enemy minions target your face.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- I'll take on the lot o' ya.
- Who's next?!
Lore[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
Unknown patch (between Patch 184.108.40.20690 and Patch 220.127.116.1122): The source of the Damage Event created by Bolf Ramshield is still the original Damage Event's source. Previously, Bolf Ramshield was considered the source of the damage dealt to himself, which led to the following interactions:
- Any effects triggering from the attacking character dealing damage, such as Snowchugger and Queen of Pain, did not take effect if Bolf Ramshield intercepted the damage.
- A Stealthed Bolf Ramshield lost Stealth after intercepting damage.
- If a Stealthed Wrathguard took damage and triggered to damage the controlling hero, but Bolf Ramshield intercepted the damage, the Wrathguard did not lose Stealth, because it was not a source of damage.
Patch 18.104.22.16886 (2015-08-18): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqiZAHscZCA Tested in Patch 22.214.171.12456 (2015-12-04)
- https://youtu.be/mSS1fI32J60 https://youtu.be/yhrw56me9Zo Tested in Patch 126.96.36.19930 (2016-06-01)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9--fAmUdcEw Tested in Patch 188.8.131.5286 (TGT patch)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXepIR0sw5Y Tested in Patch 184.108.40.20686 (TGT patch)
- Whirthun on Twitter. (2015-08-16).
- Whirthun on Twitter. (2015-08-16).
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64hgthrcvpk&t=3m57s Tested in Patch 220.127.116.1186 (TGT patch)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTa3vC9ZDpU Tested in Patch 18.104.22.16804 (2015-10-20)
- http://www.bilibili.com/video/av11803058/ It can be inferred from 4m30s of this video that the new damage Bolf creates is still from the original source, not Bolf himself.
- Whirthun on Twitter. (2015-08-14).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-08-15).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-09-03).
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtAZ2EV9LXM Tested in Patch 22.214.171.12486 (TGT patch)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5iYanAshlI Tested in Patch 126.96.36.19986 (TGT patch)
- http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/18706418189 Tested in Patch 188.8.131.5286 (TGT patch)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dSa0MiKEZU Tested in Patch 184.108.40.20686 (TGT patch)