Beneath the Grounds
|Set:||The Grand Tournament|
|Abilities:||Generate, Shuffle into deck, Summon|
Shuffle 3 Ambushes into your opponent's deck. When drawn, you summon a 4/4 Nerubian.
Can you hold these eggs for just a second? I promise they're not full of giant enraged undead spider things.
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Beneath the Grounds||400||100|
|Golden Beneath the Grounds||1600||400|
Generated cards[edit | edit source]
Summoned minions[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Although not stated in either card's text, Ambush!'s on-draw effect causes the card to self-destruct, removing it from the game.
- A Nerubian is summoned when the opponent draws an Ambush! card, not when the Beneath the Grounds card itself is drawn.
- Like all on-draw effects, Ambush! will have no effect if overdrawn due to having a full hand, removed from play by Tracking, or copied by effects like Thoughtsteal.
- The copy of Ambush! made by Chromaggus will not summon a Nerubian.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Best used in control decks, which are geared to long games, or trading as efficiently as possible without losing board control.
While on the surface it looks like a card for a mill deck, it's actually counterintuitive in practice because Ambush! does not activate if the card is milled from overdraw and only ends up extending the opponent's deck.
Can be used as a direct counter to Reno Jackson. The multiple copies of Ambush! will prevent Reno's Battlecry from activating until at least 2 are drawn or removed from the deck.
In many situations, this card compares unfavorably to Fal'dorei Strider, which has a similar effect.
Lore[edit | edit source]
This card references the subterranean nature of the nerubians. Besides the vast underground empire of Azjol-Nerub itself, the nerubians are known to burrow to attack their enemies, as when the Horde and Alliance arrived in Northrend to battle the Lich King.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Scourgewar" series, for the card Azjol-anak Acidspewer.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 10.0.0.22611 (2017-12-06): Ambush! was renamed to Nerubian Ambush! to be distinguishable from Spider Ambush! generated by Fal'dorei Strider, and the card tokens were changed to work solely, ex. when discovered from the opponent's deck.
- Patch 18.104.22.16821 (2016-08-09): Nerubian's cost increased to 4, up from 3.
- Patch 22.214.171.12486 (2015-08-18): Added.