Basic is one of two core card sets in Hearthstone, the other being the Classic set. The set was first made available to the public in January 2014 when beta-testing was first announced for the game, which was then called Classic Hearthstone. The Basic set features 133 cards, the same number of cards as when it was first released.
The purpose of the Basic and Classic sets is to ground players in cards which players will always be familiar with, in the face of an ever-changing pool of cards available to be played in Standard format. Throughout Hearthstone's history, major and minor card changes have been implemented to the Basic set.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Basic cards are free to obtain without using gold or real money to purchase them. Golden and non-golden Basic cards are rewarded to a player when the player hits certain milestone experience levels for each of the nine Classic heroes of the game.
Cards[edit | edit source]
The Basic card set features 133 collectible cards, 10 for each hero class and 43 neutral cards. All Basic cards are of Free rarity. Basic cards do not feature any icon or symbol behind their card text.
Neutral[edit | edit source]
- Free (43 cards)
Class cards[edit | edit source]
There are a total of 90 collectible class cards in the Basic set, 10 for each class.
Druid[edit | edit source]
Hunter[edit | edit source]
Mage[edit | edit source]
Paladin[edit | edit source]
Priest[edit | edit source]
Rogue[edit | edit source]
Shaman[edit | edit source]
Warlock[edit | edit source]
Warrior[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Hearthstone timeline
Development[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Design and development of Hearthstone
Card changes[edit | edit source]
- See also Card changes
The following is a list of game-changing updates that have been implemented to the cards in the Basic set since beta. Similarly, for card changes in the Classic set, please see Card changes in the Classic set.
Patch 184.108.40.20690 (2013-10-02)
- Hunter's Mark – No longer a 1-turn only effect. [Previously: 'Change a minion's Health to 1 this turn.']
- Frostbolt costs 2 Mana (down from 3).
- Mirror Image now creates 0/2 minions. [Previously 0/1s]
- Northshire Cleric - Now costs 1 (down from 2).
- Power Word: Shield has a new power – Give a minion +2 Health. Draw a card. [Previously 'Give a minion +3 Health.']
- Backstab – New text: Deal 2 damage to an undamaged minion. [Previous effect 'Deal 2 damage to an enemy minion.']
- Shiv costs 2 Mana (up from 1).
- Hex's Frog is now a Beast. [Previously a general minion]
- Sacrificial Pact costs 0 (down from 2).
- Dalaran Mage now has 1 less Attack. [Now a 1/4, down from a 2/4]
- Frostwolf Warlord now has a Battlecry effect instead of an ongoing effect. [Now has 'Battlecry: Gain +1/+1 for each other friendly minion on the battlefield.' instead of 'Has +1/+1 for each other friendly minion on the battlefield.']
Patch 220.127.116.1117 (2013-12-10)
- Starving Buzzard is now a 2/1 (was a 2/2).
- Mind Control’s mana cost is now 10 (up from 8).
- Shattered Sun Cleric is now a 3/2 (was a 3/3).
Patch 18.104.22.16843 (2013-12-18)
- Frost Nova’s mana cost is now 3 (up from 2)
Patch 22.214.171.12458 (2014-01-16)
- Warsong Commander has been reworked and now reads: Whenever you play a minion with 3 or less Attack, give it Charge. [This patch note is mistaken: the card was in fact changed to read "Whenever you summon a minion with 3 or less Attack, give it Charge". Previously: Your other minions have Charge.]
Patch 126.96.36.19985 (2014-09-22)
- Starving Buzzard now costs 5 (up from 2) and now has 3 Attack and 2 Health (up from 2 Attack and 1 Health)
Patch 188.8.131.5234 (2014-12-04)
- Soulfire now costs 1 (up from 0)
Patch 184.108.40.20604 (2015-10-20)
- Warsong Commander now reads: Your Charge minions have +1 Attack. [Was: Whenever you summon a minion with 3 or less Attack, give it Charge.]
Patch 220.127.116.1174 (2016-04-24)
- Hunter's Mark - Cost increased from 0 to 1.
Patch 18.104.22.16830 (2016-10-03)
- Rockbiter Weapon - Cost increased from 1 to 2.
- Execute - Cost increased from 1 to 2.
- Charge - Cost reduced from 3 to 1. No longer grants +2 Attack, and the target no longer can attack heroes that turn.
Patch 22.214.171.12481 (2016-10-20)
- Grimscale Oracle now reads "Your other Murlocs have +1 Attack."
Patch 126.96.36.19970 (2017-09-18)
- Innervate - Now reads: Gain 1 Mana Crystal this turn only. (Down from 2)
- Fiery War Axe - Now costs 3 mana. (Up from 2)
- Hex - Now costs 4 mana. (Up from 3)
Patch 188.8.131.52329 (2018-12-19)
- Wild Growth – Now costs 3 mana, up from 2.
Patch 184.108.40.206855 (2019-02-05)
Patch 220.127.116.11761 (2019-07-01)
- Mind Blast and Vanish were moved to the Hall of Fame and replaced with Radiance and Plaguebringer.
- Succubus has been renamed to Felstalker and received new card art, quotes, and flavor text.
Videos[edit | edit source]
(Expansions / Adventures)