|Set:||The Grand Tournament|
Gain 10 Mana Crystals. Discard your hand.
Hey! Moon! Can I have some mana crystals?
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden Astral Communion||1600||400|
Additionally, an uncraftable and undisenchantable Event version of this card was temporarily given to all players as part of the Doom in the Tomb event.
Generated cards[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This spell has two steps, carried out in the following order despite the card text:
- First, it discards the casting player's hand, queuing and resolving triggers;
- Then, although not stated in the card's text, this spell has the following effect:
- If, after paying this card's Cost, the casting player has 10 available and/or maximum mana, this card will generate an Excess Mana card in the player's hand.
- Example. If the player has 5 available mana but 10 maximum mana, casting Astral Communion will discard their hand and then generate an Excess Mana card, leaving th player with only 1 available mana.
- Example. If on turn 8 a player with 8 full Mana Crystals casts 2 Innervate followed by an Astral Communion with mana cost reduced to 0 by Emperor Thaurissan, after discarding their hand Astral Communion will generate an Excess Mana card, since when the spell takes effect the player already has 10 available mana.
- Astral Communion will no longer be offered for selection in Arena, since the 15th of September 2016. However, it is still obtainable in Arena matches through random effects, such as Spellslinger.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
10 Mana Crystals are not going to be useful if you do not have any cards to play. Playing Astral Communion followed by triggering e.g. Acolyte of Pain, Cult Master or trading the Loot Hoarder you already have on the board is going to draw some cards. Astral Communion also triggers Gadgetzan Auctioneer. It is obviously best to empty your hand of any valuable cards before playing Astral Communion. If you add Maiden of the Lake and Justicar Trueheart into the mix, the combination is extremely powerful - and extremely unlikely.
Aim to get this in your starting hand with Innervates and the Coin, for a turn one play to get 10 mana. After that you can follow up with big minions and card draw to ramp your game in one or two moves, although this combo is very unlikely and will hardly see play.
While building a deck with Astral Communion can tempt including a lot of high-cost cards, a good idea would be to build a deck that can still keep up in case you don't pull this card early enough or if you're not willing to lose the cards in your hand. Making the right decision between playing Astral Communion or not can be a game-deciding factor.
Since playing this card will always result in having 10 mana to spend, it is probably wise to spend any spare mana available beforehand on playing as many cards as possible, and save Hero Power usage until after Astral Communion.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Worldbreaker" series, for the card Laenthor Shademoon.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 126.96.36.19986 (2015-08-18): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Whirthun on Twitter. (2015-08-10).
- Whirthun on Twitter. (2015-08-10).
- Tested by User:Elekim, 2018-06-15. I waited to have 10 full mana crystals, and then I played a 5-cost card followed by Astral Communion: after discarding my hand I got the Excess Mana card instead of the 10 full mana crystals.
- Whirthun on Twitter. (2015-08-20).
- Whirthun on Twitter. (2015-08-12).
- Hearthside Chat: Upcoming Arena Changes with Dean Ayala. (2016-09-08).