Gamepedia was upgraded to MediaWiki version 1.31 on Wednesday November 14th. To learn more about the upgrade and its effects click here.
For more information, see Tirion Fordring.
Equipped by[edit | edit source]
Lore[edit | edit source]
- The Ashbringer is a powerful sword known for its use against the undead. It shares its name with its original wielder, Alexandros Mograine, former Highlord of the Silver Hand, who was known as "The Ashbringer." Reports vary as to whether the sword was named after Mograine, or vice-versa.
- The Ashbringer was originally forged by Magni Bronzebeard, who was filled with rage after learning that Arthas had betrayed and murdered Magni's brother, Muradin Bronzebeard (Muradin had, in fact, survived, but this would not be known by anyone else, including an amnesiac Muradin, until years later). He thus harnessed all of his rage, fury, the desire for vengeance, and willed them into being with each strike of his hammer. When he was finished, he gave Mograine the finest blade that had ever been crafted by his hand.
- Alexandros' oldest son, Renault betrayed and murdered him using the sword, transforming it into the Corrupted Ashbringer. Alexandros was resurrected as a death knight and kept it in his possession until his younger son Darion entered Naxxramas and killed him. Darion later discovered his father's soul had become corrupted and tied to the blade, and plunged it into his own heart to save him. Though his father's soul was redeemed, Darion became a death knight himself. The sword was eventually purified after Darion betrayed the Lich King and relinquished it to Tirion Fordring.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Prior to Journey to Un'Goro, Ashbringer was the only Legendary card in the game that was not a minion.
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 10.0.0.22611 (2017-12-06): Orange gem removed from the card.