Deal 3 damage randomly split among all enemies.
You'd think you'd be able to control your missiles a little better since you're a powerful mage and all.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Two copies of Arcane Missiles are automatically included in all players' collections upon unlocking the mage class.
Generated by[edit | edit source]
As well as being collected in decks, this card can also be created by the following cards.
Notes[edit | edit source]
This spell shoots 3 missiles, each one dealing 1 damage to a randomly selected enemy character:
- Each missile is resolved (queuing and resolving triggered effects, such as that of Acolyte of Pain) before the next one is shot.
- As with all random effects, the missiles can hit any enemy, including Immune targets (which will however suffer no damage), Stealthed minions and the enemy hero.
- Characters which have been mortally wounded by earlier missiles or destroyed by triggered effects like Acidmaw will not be selected as targets for subsequent missiles (thus preventing missiles from dealing 'overkill' damage to targets that have already been destroyed by earlier missiles).
- Bonuses from Spell Damage and Prophet Velen will increase the total damage of this spell, not the damage dealt by each missile: for example, with Spell Damage +2 this spell will shoot 2 extra missiles, each one still dealing just 1 damage.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
As with any random effect, this spell's usefulness is significantly determined by chance. Under the right conditions this spell is capable of destroying 3 separate characters (more with spell damage).
Inexperienced mage players often use this spell on the first turn against enemy hero. This is a very bad choice and a waste of the card. The main strength of this spell lies in its randomness and ability to hit several minions. It can be used to remove three 1 Health minions for only 1 mana (more with Spell Damage), or be used against a single target with a good chance of striking it at least once.
Together with the Hero Power Fireblast, this card allows the mage to split damage between several enemies in the most efficient way, and set the stage for further clearing with their minions. It may also be used against a single high Health creature in order to soften it, if no controlled direct damage spells are available.
As an RNG-heavy card, Arcane Missiles often provides either great satisfaction or great frustration. With the right luck, it can send each missile to exactly the right target, becoming a very effective and very cheap card; with the wrong luck, it can send every missile to exactly the wrong target, foiling the mage's plans or even leading to their defeat. This is part of playing the card, and is generally impossible to avoid entirely.
Probability[edit | edit source]
The target of each missile is determined at random from all available enemy targets, including the enemy hero. Note that as a non-targeted effect, this can include Stealthed targets.
- The chance of each missile hitting a given target is equal to (1 / number of targets)
- With 2 targets, each missile has a 50% chance of hitting a given target
- With 3 targets, each missile has a 33% chance of hitting a given target
- With 5 targets, each missile has a 20% chance of hitting a given target
If a target is destroyed, that target will no longer be a valid target for the next missile, affecting future probabilities.
- If your opponent controls only 3 minions, all at 1 Health, you have a 25% chance to kill them all.
- If your opponent controls 2 minions, one with 1 Health and the other with high Health, you have a 70% chance to kill the 1-Health minion.
- If your opponent controls only a 1-Health minion, you have a 87.5% chance to kill it.
- If your opponent controls only a 2-Health minion, you have a 50% chance to kill it.
- If your opponent controls only a 3-Health minion, you have a 12.5% chance to kill it.
Lore[edit | edit source]
- "As mage spells go, this one isn't the showiest. Nonetheless, you'll find it quite effective."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Servants of the Betrayer" series, for the card Scholar Krosiss.
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 184.108.40.20611 (2015-03-31): Text now reads "Deal 3 damage randomly split among all enemies." instead of "Deal 3 damage randomly split among enemy characters." No change to the card's effect.