|Set:||The Grand Tournament|
|Tags:||Damage-related, Triggered effect|
Whenever another minion takes damage, destroy it.
With the help of his trusty sidekick Dreadscale, the giant jormungar Acidmaw is ready to face any knight!
How to get[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Since during combat both the attacker and the defender receive damage, if Acidmaw is in play they will usually be both destroyed.
- Since minions hit by Destroy effects are set 'pending destroy' but remain in play, they can still trigger and take up space, although random negative effects (like Knife Juggler, Arcane Missiles and Bouncing Blade) will ignore pending destroy and mortally wounded minions and thus will not select them for further damage. Effects that check 'if it survives' or 'if it dies' (such as Grim Patron, Mortal Coil and Slam) consider 'pending destroy' minions as not surviving: for example, a Grim Patron that receives just 1 damage but is set 'pending destroy' by Acidmaw will not summon a new Grim Patron.
- As usual, on-damage triggers like this one will not trigger if the damage is prevented (such as by Divine Shield or Immune effects).
Strategy[edit | edit source]
As implied by their lore this card works well with his counterpart Dreadscale. Placing both of these cards on the field will destroy all minions other than themselves. Despite this synergy, note that this minion's triggered effect will destroy any other minion that takes damage, including Dreadscale.
However, this minion is still considered an extremely poor one.
Lore[edit | edit source]
- Acidmaw is one of the two jormungars that compose the second part of the first encounter in the Trial of the Crusader - the Northrend Beasts.
- Jormungar are creatures that can be encountered in Northrend. They have muscular, flattened bodies with rows of crystalline spines along either flank.
- According to the vrykul Astrid Bjornrittar the jormungar are the children of the titanic watcher Loken. Further legends tell of the Nerubians using the jormungar as creatures of labor, forcing them to carve massive tunnels through Northrend's subterranean ice and lay the groundwork for the nerubians' ancient civilization. With the fall of the nerubian empire, swarms of rogue jormungar ran amok, drilling through the region's permafrost, attacking surface dwellers, and devouring everything in their path. The jormungar no longer serve the nerubians, undead or otherwise, in any capacity any longer, however, Scourged Burrowers are similar creatures with a similar function for them.
- The fiercely aggressive jormungar are a marvel of evolution, possessing rows of chisel-like teeth capable of boring through solid rock, as well as muscular, flattened bodies well adapted to rapid underground navigation. They have ice-cold, acidic blood which was once collected by the nerubians. The jormungar have perhaps the strangest diet; they grow strong by eating the eggs of their own kind and the best eggs come from deep jormungar.
- Each brood has a spawnmother living deep underground. The jormungar are a nuisance best dealt with quickly. If given any quarter, they breed like hares and spread like fire. There are multiple stages of jormungar: The egg sac, the jormungar grub, the regular jormungar, and the jormungar wyrm. The wyrm stage is more ruggedly featured, and partially submerged at all times (with some exceptions).
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
Patch 188.8.131.5286 (2015-08-18): Added.