Battlecry: Transform another random minion into a 5/5 Devilsaur or a 1/1 Squirrel.
Tinkmaster Overspark nearly lost his Tinker's license after the Great Ironforge Squirrel Stampede of '09.
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden Tinkmaster Overspark||3200||1600|
Transformed minions[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Transforms another random minion into either a 1/1 Squirrel or a 5/5 Devilsaur. Both are Beasts.
- Note that transformations are permanent, and cannot be undone. Returning a transformed minion to the owner's hand will not revert it to its original form.
- The target for this minion's Battlecry is chosen at random. However, it will not target Overspark himself.
- The result of the Battlecry is also determined at random.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Tinkmaster Overspark is a very risky card with almost unpredictable outcomes but it still can be controlled to some degree. This card is best used in a situation where the controlling player has little to lose, or the opponent has a lot to lose.
The outcome of this card can be predicted to some degree by the number of minions on each side of the battlefield; note that Overspark will not be selected as the target for his own ability. If played with only a single enemy minion on the board (even if it is Stealthed), that minion is guaranteed to be chosen as the target. However, which minion will be produced cannot be controlled or predicted.
Overspark can also be useful when played on a board filled only with low-stat friendly minions without abilities, such as 1/1 minions. This provides a 50% chance of upgrading one of these minions to a 5/5, serving as a useful boon. However, be aware that this will also change the minion's type to Beast, making it less desirable for type-synergy such as Murloc play, for example.
Overspark is useful against extremely powerful minions with useful card text or enchantments such as Malygos or Ysera (and other strong minions not susceptible to Big Game Hunter). Even if the result is still a substantial 5/5 Devilsaur, it is better than things such as high health or devastating abilities. Note that the main effect of this ability is to remove all card text and enchantments, effectively Silencing the target minion; the precise stats produced cannot be predicted, and are often of smaller consequence.
The random targeting of Overspark's Battlecry can make it effective against Stealthed and "Elusive" minions, such as Shade of Naxxramas or Spectral Knight. Even if the result is a 5/5 Devilsaur, by transforming the minion the Stealth/Elusive ability will be removed, allowing the player to then specifically target it with another effect.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- This time, for sure!
- For Gnomeregan!
Lore[edit | edit source]
- Tinkmaster Overspark is a level 57 gnomish engineering trainer located in Tinker Town in the dwarf city of Ironforge. He holds the title "Chief Architect of Gnomish Engineering".
- "I am Tinkmaster Overspark, and I am the chief architect for modern gnomish engineering principles in the world today. It is my job to ensure that the power of invention continues to shine brightest from our arclight spanners than anywhere else!
- Also, if you happen to know a good schematic for radiation elimination, we just so happen to be in the market for one right about now…" - Tinkmaster Overspark
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Prior to release, Tinkmaster's Battlecry allowed the summoning player to select its target, although the resulting minion was still determined at random. Because of this, during the game's beta Tinkmaster was widely considered a very powerful card and became prevalent in high-ranking decks, with many players considering it a mandatory inclusion. As a result, Tinkmaster was nerfed by the developers, with his Battlecry now choosing a target at random. Videos such as this one commemorate the rapid devaluation that took place following the change, with many players immediately disenchanting the card.
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 22.214.171.12444 (2014-03-11): Now a 3/3 (up from 2/2) and now reads: Battlecry: Transform another random minion into a 5/5 Devilsaur or a 1/1 Squirrel.
- Previously: Battlecry: Transform a minion into a 5/5 Devilsaur or a 1/1 Squirrel at random. [3 mana, 2 Attack, 2 Health, Legendary]