|Abilities:||Deal damage, Secret|
|Tags:||Summoning-related, Triggered effect|
Secret: After your opponent plays a minion, deal 4 damage to it.
A great sniper hits the spot. Just like a delicious flank of boar. Mmmmm.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Like the other Secrets that trigger when your opponent plays a minion from their hand (Mirror Entity, Sacred Trial, Repentance), Snipe triggers in the After Play Phase following the Battlecry Phase. This means that all effects and death processing related to the minion's Battlecry resolve before the game queues and resolves Secrets such as Snipe. For example, if you play a Twilight Drake into Snipe, it will gain Health from its Battlecry before Snipe triggers and deals 4 damage.
- Snipe, Sacred Trial, Mirror Entity and Repentance all trigger in order of play.
- Repentance still triggers if Snipe mortally wounds the minion before it.
- Mirror Entity still triggers if Snipe mortally wounds the minion before it.
- Snipe still triggers if Sacred Trial sets the minion pending destroy before it. Sacred Trial still triggers if Snipe mortally wounds the minion before it.
- Like all spells that directly deal damage, Snipe is improved by Spell Damage.
- Snipe will no longer be offered for selection in Arena, since the 15th of September 2016. However, it is still obtainable in Arena matches through random effects, such as Spellslinger.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Snipe is one of the most useful early-mid game trap cards. Its low cost and high damage make it perfect for taking out dangerous minions who rely on building +attack/+hp buffs into the late game.
It is best played in the early-mid game due to the fact that it essentially allows your opponent to react to it so cannot be used with a follow-up for a guaranteed kill on one of their big minions (anything with more than 4 Health).
It can take some time to get used to the right time to use it and it can often be the target of a secret wipe such as Flare. That being said it can also be used to bait out a Flare in order to have it unavailable when you play an Area of Effect trap such as Explosive Trap.
Arguably Snipe's greatest asset is its ability to remove minions with effects that trigger at the end of your opponent's turn before they have a chance to do so even once, such as Mana Tide Totem or Ethereal Arcanist.
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 22.214.171.12451 (2016-03-14): Now reads "After your opponent" instead of "When your opponent".
References[edit | edit source]
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8u2Senk_XU (Read the description)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpwrQkFoPx0 Tested in Patch 126.96.36.19933 (LoE patch)
- Hearthside Chat: Upcoming Arena Changes with Dean Ayala. (2016-09-08).