With the arrival of Whispers of the Old Gods and game formats, the wiki has switched over to Standard format.
The preferred format for new and advanced players alike, most card lists will from now on only show cards valid in Standard format, making it easier for readers to find the information they're looking for.
For those interested in Wild format, Wild listings can now be found on subpages, such as Deathrattle/Wild format, linked just above main card listings, and Wild strategy and tips are still featured in our articles.
Battlecry: Summon 1/1 Whelps until your side of the battlefield is full.
Onyxia long manipulated the Stormwind Court by disguising herself as Lady Katrana Prestor. You would have thought that the giant wings and scales would have been a giveaway.
- For the boss of the same name, see Onyxia (boss)
How to get[edit | edit source]
Summoned minions[edit | edit source]
Strategy[edit | edit source]
The main power of Onyxia is swarming your opponent with 1/1 Whelps. Each player can have a maximum of 7 minions on their side of the field, meaning Onyxia will summon up to 6 Whelps. Note that if the battlefield is already full by the time her Battlecry is activated, no Whelps will be summoned. Unusual for Battlecry summons, Onyxia potentially summons Whelps to both sides of herself.
With such a powerful Battlecry Onyxia has the potential to be one of the greatest game-changers in the game. This is because the fewer minions the player has, the more they stand to recieve when Onyxia comes into play. This makes it a great idea to use existing minions to clear away any enemy minions before playing Onyxia, ensuring as many Whelps as possible are summoned.
Onyxia works especially well with druid and shaman decks, and with effects which buff all of the player's minions. Synergistic cards include the druid card Soul of the Forest, which makes all friendly minions summon a 2/2 Treant when they die, and the shaman card Bloodlust, which grants all friendly minions +3 Attack this turn. Knife Juggler also works well with Onyxia, dealing 1 damage for each Whelp summoned, as well as for Onyxia herself. If you can combo the whelps with either a Raid Leader or Stormwind Champion you can get a lot more out of them than what you can expect from six 1/1's.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- You dare challenge the daughter of Deathwing?
- You shall pay for your insolence!
Lore[edit | edit source]
- Onyxia was the daughter of Deathwing and his Prime Consort Sintharia and the temporary broodmother of the black dragonflight on Azeroth. After carefully calculating her plans for many years, she entered into a pact with her elder brother, Nefarian, to take over for their missing father and gain control of the entire flight. To this end, she had begun manipulating many mortals and dragons alike to her own ends and wielded considerable political power over many groups.
- After being slain and beheaded by Varian Wrynn, she was reanimated by her brother Nefarian as an electrical undead monstrosity. Ultimately, she would be destroyed once more, along with Nefarian, in the Blackwing Descent.
Artist[edit | edit source]
Voice[edit | edit source]
Onyxia was voiced by Stephanie Keefer.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 220.127.116.1188 (2013-06-22): Now reads: Battlecry: Summon 1/1 Whelps until your side of the battlefield is full.
- Previously: When you draw a card, deal 2 damage to ALL characters. [9 mana, 8 Attack, 8 Health, Legendary]