Morgl the Oracle
- "The power of the elements can only be mastered by the most dedicated of wills. There is one shaman whose abilities surpass all others'. Hear now his words of wisdom!" - Thrall
- [Unintelligible murloc noises] - Morgl
Background[edit | edit source]
Morgl the Oracle is a murloc shaman, and member of the Earthen Ring. The World Shaman Thrall describes Morgl as a shaman "whose abilities surpass all others", suggesting he is truly powerful. Morgl's opening remark "Time for a lesson, young one!" suggests he is an elder among his people, if not among the other races of Azeroth. Many of the other murlocs pay tribute to the great oracle.
Morgl's introductory cinematic depicts a mighty storm ravaging a murloc village: lightning flashing in the sky, fire raging on the ground, mighty waves rising above the huts, and an army of huge tornados closing in. This might depict a cataclysm from which Morgl rescued his people by calming the elements, or perhaps the fate of a murloc tribe that incurred the oracle's wrath.
- Sir Finley Mrrgglton, renowned gentle-murloc explorer, has been scouring the jungles and coastlines of Azeroth in search of mannered murlocs ready to take up the mantle of heroism and reject the savagery of their fishy-folk. You can aid his cause with a little help from your friends!
- While most murlocs are more likely to have visitors for lunch than they are to invite them over for tea, Morgl the Oracle has wisdom, wit, and the wherewithal to fight the good fight. His language skills aren’t quite up to Finley’s level, but his command of the elements is unmatched! He’s got the attitude, and he’s got the skills—now he just needs a little convincing!
- Just invite a friend to join you for some Hearthstone fun! After your first recruit has accumulated a total of 20 levels across all of their Heroes, Morgl will follow your friend’s example to join your collection as a new Shaman Hero!
Morgl is original to Hearthstone. Introduced in July 2016, he was first mentioned in the flavor text for Puddlestomper from the Goblins vs Gnomes set from December 2014, preceding his appearance in Hearthstone by more than 19 months. Morgl himself was first revealed to players through the World of Warcraft: Legion beta test in the first half of 2016, although this was available only to a limited pool of testers. Like Sir Finley Mrrgglton's NPC, this minor WoW character serves as a tribute to his main appearance in Hearthstone.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Unlike most other alternate heroes, Morgl cannot be purchased, but can be obtained for free through the Recruit A Friend system. Once a recruited player accumulates a "total level" of 20, the recruiting player will be awarded Morgl. After unlocking, the player can choose to use Morgl the Oracle in place of Thrall when playing with a shaman deck.
As with other rewards from the Recruit A Friend system, note that only players recruited to play in the same region as the recruiter will count for earning Morgl.
It is not possible to purchase Morgl, either with gold or real money.
Functionality[edit | edit source]
Once unlocked and selected for use, Morgl the Oracle replaces Thrall whenever playing with a shaman deck. Morgl the Oracle comes with his own portrait, emotes, and hero tray art, as well as featuring a special animation when using Morgl the Oracle's Hero Power, Totemic Call.
For more information, see Alternate heroes.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Despite depicting a murloc, Morgl the Oracle is not considered a Murloc for game purposes. For example, Morgl cannot be destroyed by Hungry Crab or buffed by Murloc Warleader.
Flavor text[edit | edit source]
When viewed in the Collection, Morgl the Oracle has the following flavor text:
- Mrrgl mrrgl mrrrrrrrgl. Mrrrrrgl! Mrgl?
Obtained by recruiting a friend.
Emotes[edit | edit source]
|Thanks||<My sincerest gratitude.>|
|Well played||<Well done.>|
|Threaten||<Face the wisdom of the seas!>|
|Concede||<I have been bested.>|
|Opening remark||<Time for a lesson, young one!>|
|Mirror start||<Young!? You have much to learn.>|
|Thinking ||<Shall I....>|
|Thinking ||<Interesting thought....>|
|Thinking ||<A possibility....>|
|Running out of time||<Quickly now, quickly!>|
|Almost out of cards||<I'm running out of cards!>|
|Out of cards||<I'm out of cards!>|
|Error: Too many minions||<I have too many minions.>|
|Error: Generic||<That cannot be done.>|
|Error: Hand already full||<My hand is too full.>|
|Error: Hero already attacked|
|Error: Minion not ready||<That minion needs a moment.>|
|Error: Minion exhausted||<That minion has already attacked.>|
|Error: Not enough mana||<I need more mana.>|
|Error: Need a weapon||<I need a weapon.>|
|Error: Can't play that card||<I cannot play that.>|
|Error: Can't target stealthed minions||<I cannot engage a Stealthed minion!>|
|Error: Not a valid target||<That target is invalid.>|
|Error: Must attack taunt minion||<I cannot get past the minion with Taunt.>|
|Selection in Arena|
|Lunar New Year Greetings||<A prosperous new year to you!>|
|Winter Veil Greetings||<A happy Winterveil to you!>|
Unused[edit | edit source]
|Sorry||<My apologies, young one.>|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- If the player summons Sir Finley Mrrgglton while playing against Morgl, Finley will say "Hello, old friend! Let's meet for tea after the match, shall we?"
- While Morgl does not come with a card back, his appearance during Ranked Season 28 makes a clear connection between him and the Tinyfin Beach card back granted for performance in that season. The card back was revealed only just before the start of the season, surprising many who expected the already long-revealed Halfhill card back, and may have been intended as a kind of teaser, with some speculating on an upcoming murloc-related adventure.
- First mentioned in the flavor text of Puddlestomper more than 19 months before the hero's eventual release, the developers admit they have been "excited about Morgl since way back". Morgl is arguably the first Hearthstone character to feature in World of Warcraft, tied with Sir Finley Mrrgglton, who was added in the same patch. Morgl predates Sir Finley in Hearthstone, but is arguably a less substantial character, especially in his World of Warcraft appearance.
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 22.214.171.12419 (2016-07-12): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Recruit A Friend: Morgl the Oracle (UK)
- Puddlestomper flavor text: "He pays homage to Morgl, the great murloc oracle! (Who doesn't??)"
- Help Finley Find a Friend. (2016-07-12).
- Ben Brode quoted on reddit. (2016-10-03). - I love Morgl. I think its cool because it feels very hearthstoney. Morgl was created by our team, and it was really cool to add something to the universe of Warcraft.
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2016-07-13).
[edit | edit source]
| Reward and