|Tags:||Health-related, In-hand effect, Ongoing effect|
Costs (1) less for each damage your hero has taken.
He gets terrible heartburn. BECAUSE HE IS FULL OF LAVA.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Molten Giant can be obtained through Classic card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Golden Molten Giant can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of each Ranked season.
|Golden Molten Giant||1600||400|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The mana cost of Molten Giant is reduced by 1 for each point your hero is below its maximum Health. Contrary to the card's text, its cost is not affected by the total damage taken during the game, but only by the difference between the hero's current and maximum Health. For example, if a hero's current Health is lowered from 30 to 10, Molten Giant's cost will be reduced by 20, for a cost of 5 mana; however, if a hero's Health is lowered from 30 to 10, then restored to 20 using healing abilities, Molten Giant's cost will only be reduced by 10, for a total cost of 15 mana.
- All regular heroes have a maximum Health of 30. However, the hero created by Lord Jaraxxus has a maximum Health of 15, and the Ragnaros hero created by Majordomo Executus has a maximum Health of 8 (although this can be increased to 15 by Alexstrasza). Since only the Health values for the current hero will determine the cost of Molten Giant (regardless of previous damage), this makes Molten Giant impossible for Lord Jaraxxus and Ragnaros to play without cost reduction effects.
- The mana cost of this card cannot be reduced below 0 mana. However, additional mana cost caused by Freezing Trap can be reduced normally.
- This card has an in-hand effect: it modifies its own mana cost only while in the player's hand, and not while the card is anywhere else.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
- Molten Giants have the best synergy in warlock decks or decks that revolve around Health manipulation, most infamously in Handlock.
- With their Life Tap hero power, warlocks are able draw cards at a quicker rate as well as self-inflict damage to lower the casting cost of the unit. Adding one or two Molten Giants coupled with cheap taunters such as Sen'jin Shieldmasta will guarantee you heavy hitters as early as mid-game while at the same time protect your lowered Health Points from further weapon or minion attacks. Add Drain Life and Siphon Soul, for Health regeneration after using this combo. Couple them with Lord Jaraxxus to make the best out of Health manipulation decks.
- Priest, druid, and paladin decks are all able to use Molten Giants with some success due to their healing cards and abilities. While lacking this synergy, the card can still be used effectively during the late game by any class.
- If drawn by the paladin's Holy Wrath, this card will allow the player to deal 25 damage for 5 mana. This combo, while devastating, relies too much on the random card draw to be reliable. However, some players have built 'fun' decks specifically around this possibility. Under absolutely perfect conditions, a paladin can use 2 x Holy Wrath drawing into 2 x Molten Giant to deal 50 damage to the opponent, as early as turns 5 and 6 (turns 4 and 5 with The Coin).
- In later stages of the game, mages can use spells such us Echo of Medivh or Duplicate to summon many Molten Giants in the same turn. A well known mage combo is possible with 5 points of health or less: Two Molten Giant minions are played for zero mana, followed by an Echo of Medivh, granting duplicate cards which can be summoned right away, again for zero mana. The mage can then use another Echo and immediately play three of the resulting minions - a full board of Molten Giants.
Lore[edit | edit source]
- Molten giants are a type of giant that live in warm mountains and underground. Most live in the Molten Core. Small glowing yellow eyes peer out of a massive red stone skull. In fact, this creature's entire body is formed from chunks of red stone, even what appears to be a beard or mane. Its arms and legs are thick pillars of rock, and every inch is covered with molten veins. Molten giants are the brutal and cunning front-line defenders of Ragnaros' army.
- Ragnaros pulled some of those giants from the heart of the Firelands to the Blackrock Mountain and the Molten Core. The Earthen Ring has all shamans forbidden to summon, control and direct those unpredictable and violent fire elementals. The use of such coercion could trigger an event similar to the Cataclysm, if the elements grow sufficiently angry. Garrosh Hellscream recently ordered his dark shamans to force Molten giants into battle.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Molten Giant is one of the original three Giants in Hearthstone. Several more have been added in expansions and adventure sets. All Giants are 8/8 epic neutral minion cards, featuring a theme of their mana cost being reduced by a specific game factor.
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 22.214.171.12474 (2016-04-24): Cost increased from 20 to 25.
- Commentary: "Molten Giant is an interesting card, but it’s too easy for players to reduce its mana cost to 0. We’re increasing Molten Giant’s mana cost to 25 to increase the risks players must take to get a free Giant. The changes to Force of Nature and Arcane Golem will make dropping to low health somewhat less risky as well, which helped spur this change."
- Alpha patch 2 (2013-08-12): Now has 8 Attack, 8 Health, down from 10 Attack, 10 Health.