From Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Wiki
|Tags:||Health-related, In-hand effect|
Costs (1) less for each damage your hero has taken.
He gets terrible heartburn. BECAUSE HE IS FULL OF LAVA.
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden Molten Giant||1600||400|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The mana cost of a Molten Giant is in reduced by 1 for each point your hero is below their maximum Health. It is not affected by the total damage taken in the game, only the current level of the hero's Health compared to their maximum. For example, if a hero's Health is lowered from 30 to 15, Molten Giant's cost will be reduced by 15, for a cost of 5 mana; however, if a hero's Health is lowered from 30 to 15, then restored to 25 using healing abilities, Molten Giant's cost will only be reduced by 5, for a total cost of 15 mana.
- All regular heroes have a maximum Health of 30. However, the warlock legendary Lord Jaraxxus creates a 15 Health hero. Since 15 is the maximum Health of this hero, only damage taken beyond this level will reduce the cost of Molten Giant. Damage taken by the warlock before playing Lord Jaraxxus will not affect the cost of Molten Giant once Lord Jaraxxus has been played. Similarly, the neutral legendary Majordomo Executus creates an 8 Health hero upon death, and damage taken by a hero before Majordomo Executus is killed will not affect the cost of Molten Giant.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
- Molten Giants have the best synergy in warlock decks or decks that revolve around Health manipulation.
- With their Life Tap hero power, warlocks are able draw cards at a quicker rate as well as self-inflict damage to lower the casting cost of the unit. Adding one or two Molten Giants coupled with cheap taunters such as Sen'jin Shieldmasta will guarantee you heavy hitters as early as mid-game while at the same time protect your lowered Health Points from further weapon or minion attacks. Add Drain Life and Siphon Soul, for Health regeneration after using this combo. Couple them with Lord Jaraxxus to make the best out of Health manipulation decks.
- Priest, druid, and paladin decks are all able to use Molten Giants with some success due to their healing cards and abilities. While lacking this synergy, the card can still be used effectively during the late game by any class.
- If drawn by the paladin's Holy Wrath, this card will allow the player to deal 20 damage for 5 mana. This combo, while devastating, relies too much on the random card draw to be reliable. However, some players have built 'fun' decks specifically around this possibility. Under absolutely perfect conditions, a paladin can use 2 x Holy Wrath drawing into 2 x Molten Giant to deal 40 damage to the opponent, as early as turns 5 and 6 (turns 4 and 5 with The Coin).
- In later stages of the game, mages can use spells such us Echo of Medivh or Duplicate to summon many Molten Giants in the same turn. A well known mage combo is possible with 10 points of health or less: Two Molten Giant minions are played for zero mana, followed by an Echo of Medivh, granting duplicate cards which can be summoned right away, again for zero mana. The mage can then use another Echo and immediately play three of the resulting minions - a full board of Molten Giants.
Lore[edit | edit source]
- Molten giants are a type of giant that live in warm mountains and underground. Most live in the Molten Core. Small glowing yellow eyes peer out of a massive red stone skull. In fact, this creature's entire body is formed from chunks of red stone, even what appears to be a beard or mane. Its arms and legs are thick pillars of rock, and every inch is covered with molten veins. Molten giants are the brutal and cunning front-line defenders of Ragnaros' army.
- Ragnaros pulled some of those giants from the heart of the Firelands to the Blackrock Mountain and the Molten Core. The Earthen Ring has all shamans forbidden to summon, control and direct those unpredictable and violent fire elementals. The use of such coercion could trigger an event similar to the Cataclysm, if the elements grow sufficiently angry. Garrosh Hellscream recently ordered his dark shamans to force Molten giants into battle.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Molten Giant is one of 5 Giants currently in Hearthstone, the others being Clockwork Giant, Frost Giant, Mountain Giant and Sea Giant. All 5 are 8/8 epic neutral minion cards, featuring a theme of their mana cost being reduced by a specific game factor.
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Alpha patch 2 (2013-08-12): Now has 8 Attack, 8 Health, down from 10 Attack, 10 Health.