|Abilities:||Copy, Secret, Summon|
Secret: After your opponent plays a minion, summon a copy of it.
"You go first." - Krush'gor the Behemoth, to his pet boar.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Mirror Entity can be obtained through Classic card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Golden Mirror Entity can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of each Ranked season.
|Golden Mirror Entity||400||50|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Like the other Secrets that trigger when your opponent plays a minion from their hand (Repentance, Snipe, Sacred Trial), Mirror Entity triggers in the After Play Phase following the Battlecry Phase. This means that all effects and death processing related to the minion's Battlecry resolve before the game queues and resolves Secrets such as Mirror Entity.
- Minions are copied in every detail, including current stats and card text.
- As Mirror Entity minions are not played from the hand, any Battlecries possessed by them will not be activated. However, like all secrets, Mirror Entity takes effect after any Battlecries from the triggering minion.
- One example of the above rule can be seen when copying a minion such as Frostwolf Warlord whose Battlecry potentially modifies its own stats. For example, if a Frostwolf Warlord is played alongside 4 other minions, its Battlecry will result in an 8/8 Frostwolf Warlord. If Mirror Entity triggers from that minion, it will produce an 8/8 Frostwolf Warlord, but that minion's Battlecry will not activate. In this way Mirror Entity can copy the consequences of the target minion's Battlecry, but will not activate it for the copy minion. However, if the copy is returned to the player's hand and then played, the Battlecry will activate normally.
- This can work to the mage's advantage when Mirror Entity triggers against strong units with negative Battlecry effects, such as King Mukla, Leeroy Jenkins, and many Demon cards, making Mirror Entity a good play early-on against warlocks, who often accept discard effects or self-damage in order to summon powerful, low-cost minions.
- Due to bugs, Mirror Entity will copy a played minion even if it is already reduced to 0 or less Health by Snipe, already removed from play, only alive due to a friendly +Health Aura, or if it is mortally wounded but a friendly Health Aura saves it from dying.
- Mirror Entity only triggers if the minion is still controlled by the opponent player after the Battlecry finishes. Mirror Entity will also not copy the 'pending destroy' effect of Sacred Trial (played before it), and the copy will survive.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
This card is best played in the late game, as it has a higher chance to copy a strong minion then. It is also useful for countermanding an opponent with an empty board who may attempt to play in a large minion to regain board presence. In fact, a good strategy to coerce your opponent into giving you a free minion is to flood your side of the battlefield with smaller minions or a large one of you own, as this will likely prompt them to play something costly in order to defend themselves.
When playing against a Mage, this secret can be baited by playing a weak minion before playing any larger ones. If this secret does not trigger, you are safe to play larger minions; if the secret does trigger, it will only copy the weak minion, and you will then be free to play larger ones. Playing a weak minion also may allow you to attack with them, possibly dealing with Vaporize, another popular Mage secret.
Lore[edit | edit source]
This spell doesn't seem to have a precise match in Warcraft lore. However, mages are well-known as masters of illusions, able to summon multiple fully-functioning images of themselves to assist in battle or even teaching and spell-casting, such as through the spell Mirror Image.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This card's art is a reference to Valve's Portal game series. The games feature a "portal gun" capable of opening small wormholes between two locations through which the player and other objects can pass, with one portal appearing light blue and the other orange. The two modes of the portal gun also caused it to glow the colour of the corresponding portal, similar to the mage's hands in this card's art. The mage also has a necklace and a badge on his left arm resembling the Aperture Science Weighted Storage Cube and Aperture Science logo respectively. However, the portals only move objects around, they do not mirror or duplicate them.
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 184.108.40.20651 (2016-03-14): Now reads "After your opponent" instead of "When your opponent".
- Patch 220.127.116.1188 (2013-06-22): Now activates when your opponent plays a minion, rather than when an enemy minion attacks.
References[edit | edit source]
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZc8ShDY2qI Tested in Patch_18.104.22.16866 (Tavern Brawl patch)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfduurrE1R8 Tested in Patch_22.214.171.12466 (Tavern Brawl patch)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q6byGuNYJU Tested in Patch 126.96.36.19933 (LoE patch)