With the arrival of Whispers of the Old Gods and game formats, the wiki has switched over to Standard format.
The preferred format for new and advanced players alike, most card lists will from now on only show cards valid in Standard format, making it easier for readers to find the information they're looking for.
For those interested in Wild format, Wild listings can now be found on subpages, such as Deathrattle/Wild format, linked just above main card listings, and Wild strategy and tips are still featured in our articles.
Master of Disguise
Battlecry: Give a friendly minion Stealth until your next turn.
She's actually a male tauren. People don't call him "Master of Disguise" for nothing.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Master of Disguise can be obtained through Classic card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Golden Master of Disguise can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of each Ranked season.
|Master of Disguise||100||20|
|Golden Master of Disguise||800||100|
Strategy[edit | edit source]
The Stealth granted by this card has a wide variety of uses. It can be used after another friendly minion attacks, preventing your opponent from removing it from the board with spells. In particular, cards with high Attack but low Health can benefit a lot from Stealth, being able to choose when to attack.
Note that minions who deal damage from effects other than attacking will still lose Stealth, for example Knife Juggler.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Enter the shadows!
- Blades ready!
History[edit | edit source]
Until Whispers of the Old Gods, the Stealth granted by Master of Disguise's Battlecry was not temporary, but regular Stealth, potentially allowing the target minion to stay Stealthed indefinitely. While the card had never been a popular one in the meta, Master of Disguise frequently limited design possibilities for other cards due to the combo potential of its Stealth effect. Brode remarked, "If you only knew how many cards get killed because of that one card..." Other cards were forced to change in order to avoid enabling dangerous synergies, such as Animated Armor, which was originally a neutral card, but was "NO FUN with Master of Disguise". This was eventually changed with a number of other card changes accompanying the release of game formats, designed to create a fresher meta and increase design space for future cards.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Since the minion appears to be a rogue-type, and is described in the card's flavor text as a tauren, this may partially reference the mythical tauren rogue. A light-hearted concept from the World of Warcraft community, the tauren rogue is something spoken of only in hushed whispers and with one's back firmly to a wall. These masters of shadow are rumoured to be behind all major events on Azeroth, capable of single-handedly one-shotting Deathwing without even breaking stealth. It is said that whenever a hero lands a mighty blow against a terrible foe, the true hero was likely a tauren rogue strolling past, whose elbow inadvertently brushed the enemy, killing them instantly. Naturally, these true masters of disguise have never been seen. However, only a fool would doubt their existence, and fewer still would dare to say so out loud. The myth of the tauren rogue started due to the tauren being the only original race unable to play as rogues, likely due to their large size and cloven hooves. As a result, no one has ever seen a tauren rogue, the joke being that perhaps they are "just that good".
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 184.108.40.20674 (2016-04-24): Card text changed from "Battlecry: Give a friendly minion Stealth." to "Battlecry: Give a friendly minion Stealth until your next turn."
- Comments: "The ability of Master of Disguise to grant permanent Stealth has been a design obstacle for a long time, so we are changing Master of Disguise to only grant Stealth until the next turn. This change opens up exciting options for future cards."
- Alpha patch 2 (2013-08-12): Mana cost increased to 4, from 3. Health increased to 4, from 3.
References[edit | edit source]
- Reddit.com - Bolf should have had Animated Armor's card text. (2016-01-11).