He likes to think he is powerful, but pretty much anyone can solo Molten Core now.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Magma Rager x 2 are automatically included in all players' collections.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Magma Rager is a powerful minion, let down by its minimal Health. While Taunt minions can help it to survive, any damage, such as from area of effect attacks, Hero Powers such as the mage's Fireblast, or the attack of even a 1/1 minion, will destroy it. While its relatively high Attack can make it useful for a few plays, such as combinations with Shadowflame, Magma Rager is officially recognised as one of the worst cards in the game (see Trivia).
One of the best uses of Magma Rager would be in combination with Steward of Darkshire. The Divine Shield lends Magma Rager some much-needed survivability, and under ideal circumstances can allow it trade very efficiently. However, there are generally still far better cards to play in Magma Rager's place.
If a player wishes to utilize the strengths of Magma Rager, they can consider Ice Rager as a replacement. Both cards are 3 mana and 5 Attack, but Ice Rager has 2 Health.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Magma Ragers are level 82 elite mobs found in Ulduar. They are fire revenants, elemental creatures who serve as soldiers for the malefic Old Gods on the Elemental Plane. However, the artwork on this card actually depicts a bound fire elemental. Additionally, the flavor text suggests that the Magma Rager is found in the Molten Core, but neither fire revenants nor bound elementals can be found there.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- "Magma Rager?! Why would you play this card?" - Arch-Thief Rafaam
- Magma Rager is widely considered to be one of the worst cards in the game. In 2014 it was officially confirmed "the worst card in the game" on-stage at BlizzCon, where it was stated that players won only 29% of games played with Magma Rager in their deck. However, according to Ben Brode in September 2016 the card has since been superseded by an even worse, unnamed card.
- In line with general policy on "bad" cards, despite its poorness Ben Brode has stated that Magma Rager still has a role to play in the game. Its poorness helps new players learn to distinguish between good and bad cards, and makes players "feel more powerful" when they earn better cards.
- Magma Rager's infamy seems to have inspired a series of other Rager successors in later expansions. Ice Rager from The Grand Tournament is a strictly superior version, Am'gam Rager from Whispers of the Old Gods is a corrupted version with reversed stats, and Shadow Rager from Mean Streets of Gadgetzan is a Rogue minion with the same stats but Stealth as well.
- As a directly superior version of Magma Rager, Ice Rager has been cited as a clear example of power creep following its introduction in The Grand Tournament. However, the latter card requires collection or crafting, while the former is automatically included in all collections, making this instead a path for player progression through gaining better versions of cards. Additionally, the definition of power creep requires a better version of an already good card, which Ice Rager doesn't fulfill as Magma Rager was and always has been a weak card.
- The poorness of Magma Rager has inspired various tributes and efforts, such as attempts to create a competitive deck containing Magma Rager.
- Magma Rager has the honour of being the only card mentioned in Ben Brode's Journey to Un'Goro rap, "Un'Goro: The Journey', where he mentions the card in connection to the new Elemental minion type, stating, "if Magma Rager's your favorite, it's time to savor it!".
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- BlizzCon 2014 - New Expansion Announced: Goblins vs Gnomes. (2014-11-07).
- Ben Brode on the reception of Karazhan and why randomness is so important to Hearthstone. (2016-09-23).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2014-01-15).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2014-11-11).
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 18.104.22.16836 (2017-04-04) Now an Elemental; previously no minion type.