Battlecry: Destroy your hero and replace it with Lord Jaraxxus.
"TRIFLING GNOME! YOUR ARROGANCE WILL BE YOUR UNDOING!!!!"
- "You face Jaraxxus, eredar lord of the Burning Legion!"
How to get
|Golden Lord Jaraxxus||3200||1600|
- Lord Jaraxxus, when played, transforms your hero into Lord Jaraxxus. Your current and maximum Health are instantly set to 15, your Armor is set to 0, your hero power is replaced by INFERNO!, which allows you to summon a 6/6 Infernal every turn for 2 mana, and you equip Blood Fury, a weapon with 3 Attack and 8 Durability. Note that Jaraxxus is able to attack immediately using Blood Fury, even if the hero he replaced already attacked that turn.
- Lord Jaraxxus counts as a demon for the purpose of spell selections. This means Sacrificial Pact will kill Lord Jaraxxus instantly, so an excess of caution should be exercised before playing him in a warlock mirror match or against a priest with Thoughtsteal.
- Playing Lord Jaraxxus initially summons him as a minion, before his Battlecry transforms him into a hero who then takes over from the playing hero.
- Because of this, most effects that trigger when you summon a minion will affect him. This includes all secrets, such as Snipe, which will deal 4 damage to him, leading to a hero with only 11 health; Repentance, which will reduce his health to 1; and Mirror Entity, which will summon a permanent 3/15 Lord Jaraxxus minion for the opponent, albeit without any special text or abilities - this can also be achieved through cards such as Voidcaller, Mindgames and Alarm-o-Bot.
- However, Sword of Justice and Knife Juggler will not activate from playing Lord Jaraxxus. This is likely both of because these effects activate from the resolution of Jaraxxus' summoning, which does not occur properly due to his becoming a hero partway through the process; similar to how Counterspell will prevent a Wild Pyromancer from activating.
- Note that any effects which are triggered will activate in the normal sequence. In most cases, this means that they will activate after Jaraxxus becomes a hero, despite being designed to affect minions. For example, a Repentance will not reduce the Health of the Jaraxxus minion, but will activate once the hero has been turned into Jaraxxus, at which point the hero's maximum Health will be reduced to 1.
- Once Jaraxxus has successfully become a hero, he no longer counts as a minion, and cannot be targeted with spells such as Demonfire.
- As a minion, Lord Jaraxxus also cannot be played when the player's side of the battlefield is full (7 minions).
Lord Jaraxxus is best played when you have less than 15 health so you regain some health. The new ability to summon 6/6 infernals in addition to Blood Fury increase your damage output every turn for a low mana cost, making it a good addition to any warlock deck.
Once Jaraxxus is played, the warlock assumes a vastly improved position - with the possible exception of their Health. The new hero power and weapon empower the warlock greatly, and will likely lead them to defeat their opponent within a short time. The main downside to playing Lord Jaraxxus - provided the warlock's health is already below 15 - is the mana cost. This prevents most other actions that round, giving the opponent the advantage.
The increased power of Jaraxxus means that in most cases, the warlock will go on to win the game if their opponent does not defeat them in the space of a few rounds. The ability to generate 6/6 Infernals each round, as well as the use of a substantial weapon, all in addition to the warlock's normal card play, tends to present an insurmountable advantage for the opponent to overcome, and almost guarantees control of the board within a few rounds. This generally leaves a short window in which the opponent has a reasonable chance of destroying the warlock before their victory is assured. Exceptions to this state of affairs include mage Freeze/spell decks, which may be capable of finishing the warlock regardless of the state of the board.
The state of the board is crucial when deciding the right time to play Jaraxxus. If the opponent has a selection of strong minions while the warlock has none, playing Jaraxxus may give them just the chance they need to finish the warlock off. However, if the board is empty or fairly evenly-balanced, the warlock need only hold their ground for a little while before Jaraxxus' powers lead them to victory. Cards like Twisting Nether are ideal for play in combination with Lord Jaraxxus, allowing the warlock to even the odds before tipping them substantially in their own favour. Jaraxxus is also generally less risky to play when the opponent's hand is small or empty.
Another common strategy with this card involves taking a lot of punishment intentionally, so you can summon Molten Giants, and then using Jaraxxus to heal yourself. Note though that the original health of your hero will be set to 15 once you replace it with Lord Jaraxxus, meaning that summoning Molten Giant will cost more mana at Jaraxxus' 15 health (full health) than a warlock's 15 Health (down by 15 damage). This also means that it is not possible to heal Lord Jaraxxus above 15 health.
- Repentance: Reduces Jaraxxus' health to 1 instantly
- Snipe: Deals 4 damage to Jaraxxus instantly
- Sacrificial Pact: Destroys Jaraxxus
- Mirror Entity: Summons a 3/15 Lord Jaraxxus minion
Blood Fury has high durability and decent damage output, so you should be attacking with it every turn, unless your opponent has a minion with taunt out that can deal enough damage to Lord Jaraxxus to be problematic. This weapon can be very useful for removal, preventing your opponent from building an offensive force, but beware Jaraxxus' low health.
INFERNO! is the most powerful hero power in the game, summoning a fresh 6/6 Infernal each round for only 2 mana. Warlocks will generally want to use this as often as possible, allowing them to swarm the board with an army of powerful minions. Regular use of this often forces the opponent to use all their removal and defensive options simply to survive.
Warlocks can use Sacrificial Pact on the Infernals summoned by INFERNO! to restore 5 Health to themselves. Ideally, this would be used on a damaged or weakened Infernal, and one that is already exhausted.
Lord Jaraxxus is an eredar lord of the Burning Legion and the second encounter of the Trial of the Crusader raid instance. Lord Jaraxxus is summoned by Grand Warlock Wilfred Fizzlebang when the gnome attempts to summon a doomguard for the next challenge. Jaraxxus kills Fizzlebang for his efforts.
- "Trifling gnome! Your arrogance will be your undoing!"
- "You face Jaraxxus, eredar lord of the Burning Legion!"
These quotes are for the Lord Jaraxxus minion itself.
- YOU FACE JARAXXUS, EREDAR LORD OF THE BURNING LEGION!
|Well played||WELL PLAYED!|
|Greetings||You face Jaraxxus, Eredar Lord of the Burning Legion!|
|Sorry||JARAXXUS IS... sorry.|
|Concede||You win... BUT YOUR WORLD IS STILL DOOMED!|
|Thinking ||I wonder...|
|Thinking ||How shall I destroy you...|
|Running out of time||TIME RUNS OUT!|
|Almost out of cards||My deck! IT'S RUNNING OUT OF CARDS!|
|Out of cards||NOOOOO! I'M OUT OF CARDS!|
|Error: Too many minions||TOO MANY MINIONS.|
|Error: Generic||CAN'T DO THAT.|
|Error: Hand already full||TOO MANY CARDS!|
|Error: Hero already attacked||I ALREADY ATTACKED.|
|Error: Minion not ready||IT JUST GOT HERE!|
|Error: Minion exhausted||THAT THING ALREADY ATTACKED.|
|Error: Not enough mana||NOT ENOUGH MANA!|
|Error: Need a weapon||WHERE DID MY WEAPON GO?|
|Error: Can't play that card||CAN'T PLAY THAT.|
|Error: Can't target stealthed minions||IT'S STEALTHED.|
|Error: Not a valid target||NOT VALID.|
|Error: Must attack taunt minion||THAT TAUNT MINION IS IN MY WAY!|
- Some of Lord Jaraxxus' soundbites from his appearance in World of Warcraft's Trial of the Crusader encounter have been reused for his emotes in Hearthstone.
- Previously, completing a game as Lord Jaraxxus would always grant warlock experience, even if the player was in fact playing another class (such as a priest acquiring Lord Jaraxxus using Thoughtsteal). However, this bug has now been fixed, and experience will always be granted to the player's selected class.
- Despite his fairly minor role in World of Warcraft, Jaraxxus became a popular figure in the community, due in part to several of his soundbites being featured in Mr.Voletron's "You FACE Jaraxxus" remix.
- Ben Brode has described Lord Jaraxxus as his #1, #2, #3, #4 and #5 favourite cards. Lord Jaraxxus was also designed either primarily or entirely by Brode.
- Jaraxxus is voiced by Jamieson Price.
- Patch 220.127.116.1124 (2014-07-22): Text changed from "...replace him with..." to "...replace it with...".
- Hearthstone Mythbusters Ep.3.
- http://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/218vsu/jaraxxus_and_sword_of_justice_rule_inconsistency_o/ 2014-03-24
- http://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/1yc7qk/lord_jaraxxus_and_knife_juggler/ 2014-02-19
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-01-17).
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8ZI3Q0P3_E 2014-04-15
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8t0nGzXVJk 2013-11-13
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-01-14).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2014-11-25).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2014-11-14).