Notes[edit | edit source]
- Inspire effects take effect after the effect of the triggering Hero Power. For example, using Reinforce with a Murloc Knight on the board will result in a Silver Hand Recruit being summoned before the Murloc Knight's Inspire effect is activated. This is often strategically important, such as when space on the board is limited, or by allowing Thunder Bluff Valiant's Inspire effect to buff the newly-summoned Totem from Totemic Call.
- Inspire minions put into the battlefield by other Inspire effects will not have their effects activated by the original Hero Power usage. This is because all eligible Inspire minions have already been queued for activation before the new minion arrives in play.
- However, an Inspire minion put into the battlefield by a Hero Power which summons minions (e.g., the Tavern Brawl Hero Power Pile On!!!) will automatically trigger the minion's Inspire effect after its appearance on the board. This is because the minion's arrival is a direct effect of the Hero Power itself, meaning the minion arrives on the board prior to the start of the Inspire activation phase.
- Because Inspire effects do not activate until after the triggering Hero Power has taken effect, if the consequences of using a Hero Power kills the hero, it is not possible for an activated Inspire effect to save them. For example, if a 2 Health warlock with a Tournament Medic on board uses Life Tap, they will die.
- Although lacking the Inspire keyword, Poisoned Blade and Dart Trap behave similar to Inspire effects - they are triggered effects which activate each time one player uses their Hero Power, after the effect of the triggering Hero Power. However, Poisoned Blade has the additional effect of preventing the normal operation of Dagger Mastery, which Inspire does not do, while Dart Trap triggers from the opponent's Hero Power, not the controlling player's.
Cards[edit | edit source]
|Name / Desc||Rarity||Type||Subtype||Class||Cost||Atk||HP||Description|
|Boneguard Lieutenant||Common||Minion||General||Any||2||3||2||Inspire: Gain +1 Health. Underneath all that impressive armor, he's just skin and bones. Okay, maybe just bones.|
|Brave Archer||Common||Minion||General||Hunter||1||2||1||Inspire: If your hand is empty, deal 2 damage to the enemy hero. This is a "bearly" concealed reference.|
|Dalaran Aspirant||Common||Minion||General||Mage||4||3||5||Inspire: Gain Spell Damage +1. Is he aspiring or inspiring? Make up your mind!|
|Dragonhawk Rider||Common||Minion||General||Any||3||3||3||Inspire: Gain Windfury this turn. Check it out. You can do barrel rolls on this thing.|
|Kvaldir Raider||Common||Minion||General||Any||5||4||4||Inspire: Gain +2/+2. Coming soon... to a tuskarr village near you!|
|Lowly Squire||Common||Minion||General||Any||1||1||2||Inspire: Gain +1 Attack. But not the lowliest!|
|Mukla's Champion||Common||Minion||Beast||Any||5||4||3||Inspire: Give your other minions +1/+1. An elegant gorilla, for a more civilized age.|
|Murloc Knight||Common||Minion||Murloc||Paladin||4||3||4||Inspire: Summon a random Murloc. Hee hee! Look at his cute little feet.|
|Orgrimmar Aspirant||Common||Minion||General||Warrior||3||3||3||Inspire: Give your weapon +1 Attack. "Four out of three orcs struggle with math." - Angry Zurge|
|Silver Hand Regent||Common||Minion||General||Any||3||3||3||Inspire: Summon a 1/1 Silver Hand Recruit. The Silver Hand is the best paladin organization. The Argent Crusaders are super jealous.|
|Tournament Medic||Common||Minion||General||Any||4||1||8||Inspire: Restore 2 Health to your hero. The medic tournament is less entertaining than the Grand Tournament.|
|Argent Watchman||Rare||Minion||General||Any||2||2||4||Can't attack.
Inspire: Can attack as normal this turn. Who argent watches the Argent Watchman?
|Coliseum Manager||Rare||Minion||General||Any||3||2||5||Inspire: Return this minion to your hand. Meets monthly with the gladiators to discuss career goals.|
|Savage Combatant||Rare||Minion||Beast||Druid||4||5||4||Inspire: Give your hero
+2 Attack this turn. Maybe if you whistle a tune it will soothe him. Yeah... Try that.
|Spawn of Shadows||Rare||Minion||General||Priest||4||5||4||Inspire: Deal 4 damage to each hero. What did you expect to happen? He's a Spawn. Of Shadows.|
|Thunder Bluff Valiant||Rare||Minion||General||Shaman||5||3||6||Inspire: Give your Totems +2 Attack. Allowing totems to attack is not cheating. I mean, there isn't anything in the rule books about it.|
|Void Crusher||Rare||Minion||Demon||Warlock||6||5||4||Inspire: Destroy a random minion for each player. We like to call him "Wesley".|
|Kodorider||Epic||Minion||General||Any||6||3||5||Inspire: Summon a 3/5 War Kodo. Someone called her a Rhinorider, and she's NOT HAPPY.|
|Recruiter||Epic||Minion||General||Any||5||5||4||Inspire: Add a 2/2 Squire to your hand. Join the Argent Crusade! We have attractive tabards and you get to carry really nice swords!|
|Confessor Paletress||Legendary||Minion||General||Priest||7||5||4||Inspire: Summon a random Legendary minion. She sees into your past and makes you face your fears. Most common fear: Getting Majordomo out of Sneed's Old Shredder.|
|Nexus-Champion Saraad||Legendary||Minion||General||Any||5||4||5||Inspire: Add a random spell to your hand. The ethereals have their own jousting tournament, and Saraad is the reigning champion. Also he won the ethereal hot dog eating contest.|
|Showing all 21 cards|
Lore[edit | edit source]
- "The courageous deeds of champions have long served as a source of inner strength for others, and witnessing a hero’s gallantry in action can be enough to inspire even the lowliest of squires to great feats of strength."
Conceptually, Inspire effects are meant to reflect the minion being inspired to "great victory" by the heroism of the controlling player. Inspire summon effects are described as "[attracting] additional allies to your cause".
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Inspire is the first keyword to relate to Hero Powers.
- Inspire was the first new full keyword added to the game. The only other keyword added before it was Mega-Windfury, which was only seen on V-07-TR-0N.
- Alternate names for Inspire during development include 'Empower', 'Heroism', 'On Hero Power' and 'Hero Powered'.
- Inspire was the design concept that "started the whole development of The Grand Tournament." Even before the developers knew what they wanted the theme or setting for the expansion to be, they knew that they wanted it to feature the Inspire mechanic. The developers plan and design substantially in advance, and therefore whenever they came up with a card that had such an effect, they set it aside for use in a Hero Power-themed set at some point in the future.
- Steamwheedle Sniper was in the minds' of the developers as they were searching for a new mechanic for the expansion. The developers had previously prototyped "activated powers" - alternate abilities minions could effect instead of attacking. However, they had been unable to reach a satisfactory design. Inspire provided a way to do something similar, by granting an additional activated effect that belonged to the minion and yet that the player could directly choose when to enact.
- Inspire was initially represented by the text "Whenever you use your Hero Power do X". The developers felt that replacing it with a new keyword would both save space on cards and also highlight the new mechanic as a key feature of the new expansion. They also felt that the game had been around long enough that it was acceptable to introduce a new keyword.
- Showcase matches streamed just before the expansion's release featured a golden version of the Inspire icon, due to using an old build.
- Rogue is the only class not to have any class specific Inspire minions. This has been jokingly ascribed by developers to equipping a knife not being especially "inspiring".
References[edit | edit source]
- Whirthun on Twitter. (2015-07-23).
- Murloc Knight Dream. (2015-08-26).
- Double Confessor Paletress!. (2016-09-22).
- Whirthun on Twitter. (2015-08-10).
- The Grand Tournament: Get Inspired. (2015-07-30).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-07-27).
- #100 - The Angry Chicken: “May the Chicken be with You” - Ben Brode (2015-09-01)
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-07-24).
|By minion type|
|By effect type|
|By card set|