With the arrival of Whispers of the Old Gods and game formats, the wiki has switched over to Standard format.
The preferred format for new and advanced players alike, most card lists will from now on only show cards valid in Standard format, making it easier for readers to find the information they're looking for.
For those interested in Wild format, Wild listings can now be found on subpages, such as Deathrattle/Wild format, linked just above main card listings, and Wild strategy and tips are still featured in our articles.
At the end of your turn, summon a 2/2 Gnoll with Taunt.
Hogger is super powerful. If you kill him, it's because he let you.
- For the tutorial boss of the same name, see Hogger (boss)
How to get[edit | edit source]
Summoned minions[edit | edit source]
Strategy[edit | edit source]
If not dealt with, Hogger can become a supreme annoyance for the opponent when played. Summoning the 2/2 Taunt means that you block at least one attack each turn, giving you immense board control. Hogger's dominating board presence makes it a soft taunt for your opponent.
Despite his comparatively poor raw stat for cost economy, Hogger is always good value, since even if the opponent removes or Silences him immediately, you will still get at least 1 Gnoll from him, justifying his cost. The only exception is if he dies before the end of the turn you play him (for example if you play him into a Snipe).
Lore[edit | edit source]
- Hogger is a level 11 elite named Riverpaw gnoll chieftain in Southern Elwynn Forest. His defeat is the objective of a quest for low-level Alliance players.
- While Hogger's significance in-game was originally minimal, his relative difficulty at such a low level has caused him to become one of the most well-known and popular minor characters in the game. His role in-game was subsequently expanded with Wrath of the Lich King and Cataclysm, and a gnoll battle pet named Hogs is planned as reward for the game's 10th anniversary.
The Hogger card back has the following flavor text: "The Terror of Elwynn, the King of Gnolls. They say he bathes in the tears of young heroes, hence the wet dog smell."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This card's flavor text is a variant on a well-known Chuck Norris 'fact', referring to Hogger's 'legendary' status among World of Warcraft players.
- As of the time of its release, Hogger is one of the few characters to have a specific card back named after him, and is by far the least significant of those characters. This may be due to the Hogger card back being timed to foreshadow the release of the Whispers of the Old Gods expansion a month or two after the card back is awarded, thus teasing at the arrival of Hogger, Doom of Elwynn.