Attacking a minion costs 1 Attack instead of 1 Durability.
Grommash Hellscream's famous axe. Somehow this ended up in Prince Malchezaar's possession. Quite the mystery!
How to get
This card is best used to destroy minions. It is possible through the use of Upgrade! and similar effects to increase its durability thus making it a useful weapon against enemy heroes as well. You can also make use of the very high Attack of this weapon with cards such as Bloodsail Raider.
Gorehowl is magically imbued and strengthened, and regarded as one of the most feared weapons in all of Azeroth.
During the second coming of the Burning Legion, Grommash Hellscream took his axe to the pit lord Mannoroth after Thrall was beaten into unconsciousness. With a single blow, Hellscream cleaved his adversary's weapon in two and slew Mannoroth. Hellscream perished shortly afterwards, but he had managed to break the curse over his people, freeing their souls and spirits from the demonic curse forever. It should also be noted that Gorehowl is the weapon which slew the night elf demigod Cenarius.
- This card's flavor text references Gorehowl's appearance as an item in World of Warcraft, where it was obtainable as a drop from Prince Malchezaar, a boss in the Burning Crusade instance Karazhan. There is no known lore explanation for how Gorehowl came into his possession, although it has been suggested that the Prince may have removed it from Mannoroth's corpse.
- Gorehowl's World of Warcraft counterpart features the flavor text "The axe of Grom Hellscream has sown terror across hundreds of battlefields."
- Prior to Patch 126.96.36.19944, Gorehowl featured the triggered effect lightning bolt icon. However, the icon did not activate when the player attacked. Perhaps for this reason, the icon was removed with the full release of the game.
- In 2015 Blizzard hired professional blacksmith Tony Swatton to forge a replica of Gorehowl.
- Patch 188.8.131.5244 (2014-03-11): The previously inactivate triggered effect 'lightning bolt' icon has been removed from Gorehowl.
- Patch 184.108.40.20664 (2013-08-14): Flavor text updated to reference Grommash Hellscream instead of Grom Hellscream.
- Unknown alpha patch (April or May 2013): New text: Attacking a minion costs 1 Attack instead of 1 Durability.
- Previously: Attacking a Minion doesn't cost Durability. [7 mana, 7 attack, 1 durability, epic]
- Blizzard Entertainment (2015-04-03). Azeroth Armory: Forging Gorehowl.
- Compare https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvIMMtE3ydo?t=6s (2014-11-05) and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDXqXz-7yaU (2014-11-17)