Attacking a minion costs 1 Attack instead of 1 Durability.
Grommash Hellscream's famous axe. Somehow this ended up in Prince Malchezaar's possession. Quite the mystery!
How to get[edit | edit source]
Gorehowl can be obtained through Classic card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Golden Gorehowl can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of each Ranked season.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Attacking a minion with this weapon will reduce its Attack by 1, but will not reduce its Durability. This allows the weapon to be used multiple times against minions.
- Through repeated use, Gorehowl's Attack can be reduced to 0 or even lower (see below). Once it reaches 0 it will not be possible to attack using the Gorehowl, but the weapon will not destroy itself.
Advanced[edit | edit source]
- It is possible to get a -1 or lower Attack Gorehowl if you use effects like Heroic Strike or Spiteful Smith to continue to attack with the Gorehowl after it hits 0 Attack.
- Negative Attack is displayed as a 0. If you don't have another source of Attack, you cannot swing the weapon at all.
- If Spiteful Smith is buffing your Negative Attack Gorehowl, it buffs the negative value, not 0. For example, a -1 Attack Gorehowl gains 2 Attack from Spiteful Smith and becomes 1 Attack.
- If you have a Negative Attack Gorehowl and buff your Hero with Heroic Strike, the negative attack of the Gorehowl does not subtract from the Hero buff. Even though it does not contribute to the attack, attacking the enemy Hero this way will still cause Gorehowl to lose Durability.
Known bugs[edit | edit source]
- If you attack with a Gorehowl into Misdirection (which makes you target a minion) then Explosive Trap (which reduces the minion to 0 or less Health), Gorehowl will trigger and gain temporary Immunity (since the final target is a minion) but the attack will be cancelled and you can attack again. Since your Gorehowl gained but did not lose temporary Immunity, if you then attack the enemy hero, Gorehowl will not lose a point of Durability or a point of Attack. (This effect lasts one attack.)
Strategy[edit | edit source]
This card is best used to destroy minions. It is possible through the use of Upgrade! and similar effects to increase its durability thus making it a useful weapon against enemy heroes as well. You can also make use of the very high Attack of this weapon with cards such as Bloodsail Raider.
A common mistake is to overlook the text, which only works while "Attacking a minion". Attacking a hero with this weapon will cost 1 Durability as normal.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Gorehowl is magically imbued and strengthened, and regarded as one of the most feared weapons in all of Azeroth.
During the second coming of the Burning Legion, Grommash Hellscream took his axe to the pit lord Mannoroth after Thrall was beaten into unconsciousness. With a single blow, Hellscream cleaved his adversary's weapon in two and slew Mannoroth. Hellscream perished shortly afterwards, but he had managed to break the curse over his people, freeing their souls and spirits from the demonic curse forever. It should also be noted that Gorehowl is the weapon which slew the night elf demigod Cenarius.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This card's flavor text references Gorehowl's appearance as an item in World of Warcraft, where it was obtainable as a drop from Prince Malchezaar, a boss in the Burning Crusade instance Karazhan. There is no known lore explanation for how Gorehowl came into his possession, although it has been suggested that the Prince may have removed it from Mannoroth's corpse.
- Gorehowl's World of Warcraft counterpart features the flavor text "The axe of Grom Hellscream has sown terror across hundreds of battlefields."
- Prior to Patch 126.96.36.19944, Gorehowl featured the triggered effect lightning bolt icon. It is not known why it was removed.
- In 2015 Blizzard hired professional blacksmith Tony Swatton to forge a replica of Gorehowl.
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 188.8.131.5244 (2014-03-11): The triggered effect 'lightning bolt' icon has been removed from Gorehowl.
- Patch 184.108.40.20664 (2013-08-14): Flavor text updated to reference Grommash Hellscream instead of Grom Hellscream.
- Unknown alpha patch (April or May 2013): New text: Attacking a minion costs 1 Attack instead of 1 Durability.
- Previously: Attacking a Minion doesn't cost Durability. [7 mana, 7 attack, 1 durability, epic]
References[edit | edit source]
- Experimenting with Gorehowl, December 2014
- https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/3nu0hi/i_recreated_the_1_durability_weapon_bug/cvr9ydg Tested in Patch 220.127.116.1157 (Mech War Tavern Brawl patch)
- Blizzard Entertainment (2015-04-03). Azeroth Armory: Forging Gorehowl.