|Set:||Whispers of the Old Gods|
|Tags:||Choose One-related, Ongoing effect|
Your Choose One cards have both effects combined.
Always manages to mention "Back when I was creating the World Tree…" in EVERY conversation. Sheesh! Enough already.
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden Fandral Staghelm||3200||1600|
Transformed minions[edit | edit source]
When a card with two Choose One options involving transform effects is played while controlling Fandral Staghelm, a unique minion will be produced that combines the effects of both options. These minions are not available except through Fandral Staghelm.
- Resulting minions
Notes[edit | edit source]
- When the controlling player activates a Choose One effect, as a rule, effects will be activated in the order stated on the card. However, often when the reverse order would be specifically more beneficial to the player, that order will be used instead:
- Damaging effects like those of Wrath will be combined into one instance of damage, rather than dealing damage twice. This means that Spell Damage is only applied once, not twice. This is intended.
- Choose One cards with targeted effects will use the same target for both effects. For example, Wrath will deal 4 damage to a minion and draw a card, as opposed to dealing 1 damage to one minion and 3 damage to another. Likewise, Keeper of the Grove will both Silence and deal 2 damage to the same minion.
- Due to how Choose One effects combine such as Wrath combining both effects to deal 4 damage and draw a card (essentially doubling the value of the card), it's arguable that a card like Druid of the Flame due to it's wording should combine the stats of both transformation creating a 7/7 as opposed to a 5/5. This is an additional wording issue to Transform cards that has been debated in the Hearthstone community since release.
- Fandral Staghelm will cause Choose One spells picked by Yogg-Saron, Hope's End to have their combined effect.
Current bugs[edit | edit source]
- After Play Phase and After Summon Phase triggers (Repentance, Addled Grizzly, Knife Juggler, etc) do not trigger on affected Choose One self-transforming minions.
- Using Starfall on a friendly minion deals 7 damage instead of 5. (The spell's effects of 5 damage to target minion and 2 damage to all enemy minions were combined into 7 damage to target then 2 to all other enemy minions - but they forgot to handle the case where Starfall's target is friendly, not enemy.)
- Raven Idol is known to offer 2 of the same card as Discover choices.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Most of the Druid's Choose One effects are balanced so that each effect is reasonable for the Mana cost. Gaining both effects will drastically increase the value of each of your Choose One cards, such as turning Ancient of War into a 10/10 Taunt Minion for 7 Mana, Raven Idol allowing you to discover two cards for only 1 Mana, Nourish providing you with both 2 Mana Crystals as well as 3 cards, and many more.
While it would be ideal to keep Fandral Staghelm on the field as long as possible to benefit from his fantastic effect, your opponent will likely plan to annihilate him as soon as they possibly can. Taunt minions can protect him from attacks; most fittingly, Mark of Nature can provide a friendly minion with +4/4 and Taunt for only 3 Mana, converting it into a powerful guardian to keep Staghelm safe. Unfortunately there's no real way to keep him save from removal via spells, so unless you are able to bait your opponent's removal cards and are certain they have no option to destroy Staghelm, it would usually be wise to save him for your late game, where you can get off a few Choose One effects the turn he's summoned. Even if he's destroyed the following turn, you'll have gained enough added value from his presence that the board will most likely be turned entirely in your favor.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Behold the rage of the Firelands.
- When summoned against Tyrande
- You will lead our people to ruin!
- Nothing but ash!
Lore[edit | edit source]
- Fandral Staghelm was formerly the Archdruid of Darnassus, succeeding Malfurion Stormrage after he was lost in the Emerald Nightmare. He was in a constant power struggle with Tyrande Whisperwind, High Priestess of Elune, for leadership of the night elf people, and was one of the architects of the plan to create Teldrassil. After it was revealed that he had been corrupted by the Nightmare himself and had prolonged Malfurion's absence, Fandral eventually descended into madness and was to be imprisoned by the Cenarion Circle. He was captured when he was being moved to Moonglade from Mount Hyjal and turned into the first Druid of the Flame, becoming the new Majordomo of the Firelands, until he is killed during the final battle against Ragnaros.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This card marked the first time a set had added new cards to another set, with Whispers of the Old Gods serving to add three new minions to the Classic, Blackrock Mountain and The Grand Tournament sets.
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 22.214.171.12474 (2016-04-24): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Stated during official reveal stream, 2016-04-21
- Mike Donais on Reddit. (2016-04-22). Retrieved on 2016-04-24.