Djinni of Zephyrs
|Set:||The League of Explorers|
|Abilities:||Cast spell, Copy|
|Tags:||Spell-related, Triggered effect|
After you cast a spell on another friendly minion, cast a copy of it on this one.
If you want your wish granted, don't rub him the wrong way.
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Djinni of Zephyrs||400||100|
|Golden Djinni of Zephyrs||1600||400|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- While this is in play, whenever the controlling player casts a spell on a friendly minion, a second copy of the spell will be cast on this minion. This counts as a full second cast, including secondary effects such as the card draw in Power Word: Shield.
- Targeting conditions of spells (such as Demonfuse requiring a Demon target, or Shadow Word: Pain requiring a 3 or less Attack target) are only checked when the player targets a spell. Djinni of Zephyrs does not require the targeting condition to be true for itself to copy the spell.
- However, spells that have a conditional effect that does not restrict targeting (such as Ice Lance and Demonfire) check the condition while resolving. For example, if you cast Demonfire on your demon, the demon will get +2/+2, then Djinni of Zephyrs copies the spell and takes 2 damage.
- Copies of Combo cards retain their original comboed or uncomboed status.
- Djinni of Zephyrs is a trigger in the After Spell Phase, which begins only after death processing from the Spell Text Phase (where the spell itself resolves) finishes. That means that all your Djinni of Zephyrs, Flamewakers and Wild Pyromancers will resolve before Hearthstone checks for deaths. (In addition, Djinni of Zephyrs has a special priority that makes it trigger last in the After Spell Phase, regardless of order of play). This leads to the following consequences:
- If the spell is Countered by Counterspell, or if the target of the spell is an enemy minion by the time the After Spell Phase begins (such as due to Spellbender), Djinni of Zephyrs will not trigger. Conversely, if the targeted minion is friendly by the time the After Spell Phase begins (such as due to Shadow Madness or Mind Control), Djinni of Zephyrs WILL trigger.
- If a Djinni of Zephyrs is brought into play or taken control of by the time the After Spell Phase begins (such as due to Deathlord or Sylvanas Windrunner), it will trigger. Conversely, if Djinni of Zephyrs leaves play (including due to death) or leaves your control, it will not trigger.
- The targeted minion does not have to be in play or even alive, so long as it is friendly - It can be in the Graveyard, Hand, Setaside or Deck Zones. This means that Djinni of Zephyrs will copy Shadowstep, Naturalize, Entomb and Hex, for example.
- The result of playing Mind Control is that Djinni of Zephyrs will attempt to move from your side of the battlefield to your side of the battlefield. This means that if you have 7 minions, it sees the destination is full and dies, and also means that it will gain exhaustion.
- The result of playing Shadow Madness is the same as Mind Control, except Djinni of Zephyrs also gains Charge. When Shadow Madness ends off, Djinni of Zephyrs will go back to its original controller - which is you, so it will again die if you have 7 minions, and otherwise do nothing.
- Djinni of Zephyrs will trigger Entomb, because the minion becomes friendly first (so that it can go to the controlling player's deck) then Djinni checks if it is friendly, which is correct. As such, Djinni will go to your deck too when you play Entomb.
- Djinni of Zephyrs copying a spell with Overload will not give you more Overload.
- While many of the less obvious interactions with the Djinni are confirmed as working correctly, Ben Brode has stated that he would like to change the rules to prevent some of these "eventually".
- If you cast a spell on an enemy Weasel Tunneler causing it to die, and have a Djinni of Zephyrs, the Djinni will trigger and copy the spell, as the target of the spell is now friendly.
Known bugs[edit | edit source]
- As of November 2015, Djinni of Zephyrs has a bug that makes it trigger if you play a targeted Choose One minion, such as Keeper of the Grove. (The trigger occurs in the After Play Phase.)
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Particularly interesting interactions with this card include Explorer's Hat, Silvermoon Portal, and Moonglade Portal. The Explorer's Hat copies onto the Djinni, meaning it gains +1/+1 and also will add a hat to your hand upon death. In addition to the Portals' buff mechanics, the Djinni also summons a minion of the corresponding cost.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- This is no place for mortals!
- Leave this place!
Lore[edit | edit source]
- A djinn (pronounced genie) is a type of powerful air elemental that can be found in the Skywall. Most djinn in World of Warcraft are powerful lieutenants of Al'Akir. They made their first appearance during World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.
- It was the djinn that gave the tol'vir back their immortality as creatures of stone, in exchange for their allegiance to Deathwing. The only tribe of tol'vir to accept the offer were the Neferset. When the Orsis tribe refused to serve Deathwing, Al'Akir's djinn buried the city beneath a mighty sandstorm.
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 188.8.131.5220 (2017-02-28): Will now correctly copy spells buffed by spell damage.
- Patch 184.108.40.20656 (2015-12-04): "Whenever" changed to "After", correcting the card's text to match its function.
- Patch 220.127.116.1133 (2015-11-10): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Blizzcon 2015 Hearthstone League of Explorers Panel – 1080p. (2015-11-07).
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djSKr0dO4ds Tested in Patch 18.104.22.16833 (LoE patch)
- https://youtu.be/r2fIjQYrSDo Tested in Patch 22.214.171.12433 (LoE Patch)
- Tested by culinko, 2016-04-08.
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-12-22).