The term deck refers to both the collections of cards assembled by players outside of matches, and the stack of cards each player brings into a game. In the latter sense, deck refers to those cards remaining undrawn, displayed on the right hand side of the battlefield for both players. All card draw and some discard effects cause cards to be removed from the player's deck, and when a player has exhausted their deck, they will begin to suffer fatigue damage. Players can mouse over each deck to see how many cards remain therein.
Each player's deck is randomly ordered or 'shuffled' at the start of the match prior to the mulligan, and then again following the mulligan if any cards were replaced. Shuffle into deck effects add cards directly to the deck, and then shuffle the deck.
Construction[edit | edit source]
Each player deck is built for a specific class, and must only use neutral cards and cards specific to the corresponding class. For example a rogue deck could include Backstab and Earthen Ring Farseer, but could not include Fireball or Voidwalker. Class must be chosen before constructing a deck. All playable decks must also include precisely 30 cards.
Other than this, deck construction rules vary by game mode:
- In Play mode, Friendly Challenge and most Adventure mode play, the player must build their deck with cards from their collection (or use a basic deck). The deck can only include 2 of each card (including regular and golden versions), and only 1 of each Legendary card.
- In the Arena, the player draws cards from a randomly selected pool, with no relation to which cards they have collected. Arena decks also do not have any limits on how many copies of the same card can the player have in their deck. A fresh Arena deck is made at the start of each Arena run, and lost at the end of that run.
- Tavern Brawls may feature pre-made or custom decks. Pre-made decks may be fixed, or randomly generated before each game, but either way cannot be edited or directly viewed by players. Custom decks for Tavern Brawls are created especially for that Brawl, and similar to Arena decks, are lost when the Brawl closes. Custom Tavern Brawl decks usually follow the same construction rules as Play mode, but sometimes feature special rules or restrictions on which cards can be included.
- Adventure Class Challenges feature pre-made decks, each tailored for the matching encounter. Like Arena decks, these decks do not have any card copy limits, and like pre-made Tavern Brawl decks, cannot be edited or viewed directly.
- Boss decks
Bosses use unique decks, often including special cards which are not available to players. These decks have no card copy limits, and unlike playable decks may include cards from multiple classes and feature more than 30 cards in total. Most bosses have two decks, one for Normal mode and one for Heroic mode, with the latter usually presenting a tougher take on the same design. Each version of a boss uses the same deck each time they are played against.
Related cards[edit | edit source]
The following cards have specific synergy with the cards in the player's deck. Most such effects relate to having no duplicate copies of cards in the deck.
|Name / Desc||Rarity||Type||Subtype||Class||Cost||Atk||HP||Description|
|Inkmaster Solia||Legendary||Minion||General||Mage||7||5||5||Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, the next spell you cast this turn costs (0). Solia marks the Kabal with intricate tattoos that grant immense power. Also it makes it harder for other gangs to recruit from their numbers. BACK OFF, GOONS.|
|Kazakus||Legendary||Minion||General||Mage, Priest, Warlock||4||3||3||Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, create a custom spell. The mysterious leader of the Kabal is NOT a dragon, and does NOT deal in illegal potions. Any public statements to the contrary will be met with litigation and Dragonfire Potions.|
|Krul the Unshackled||Legendary||Minion||Demon||Warlock||9||7||9||Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, summon all Demons from your hand. Spicklefizz pondered his life choices as he looked at the chain around his neck. "Become a warlock," they said. "You get to enslave demons," they said.|
|Open the Waygate||Legendary||Spell||Mage||1||Quest: Cast 6 spells that didn't start in your deck.|
Reward: Time Warp. Although powerful, the incantation is simple. It’s just a jump to the left, and then a step to the right.
|Raza the Chained||Legendary||Minion||General||Priest||5||5||5||Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, your Hero Power costs (0) this game. "Could you do me a favor and get the keys from Kazakus?"|
|Showing all 5 cards|
- This section contains information exclusive to Wild format.
|Name / Desc||Rarity||Type||Subtype||Class||Cost||Atk||HP||Description|
|Reno Jackson||Legendary||Minion||General||Any||6||4||6||Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, fully heal your hero. Reno is a four-time winner of the 'Best Accessorized Explorer' award.|
|Showing the only card|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- While decks can normally only contain 30 cards, within a match shuffle into deck effects can introduce new cards into a deck, allowing it to exceed the normal 30 card limit, up to a maximum of 60. Any such adjustments to decks during battle are not carried beyond the match.
- In Adventures, some Bosses may have a deck size that deviates from 30 cards. Notably, Coren Direbrew has a deck size of 36 on Heroic difficulty and Patchwerk has a deck size of 0 on both difficulties.
- The order of the undrawn deck is believed to be functionally insignificant, since it is not possible for the player to see the order of cards in their deck without drawing them. Those effects which draw directly from the player's deck do so randomly and thus are not affected by the order of cards within the deck. Shuffling the deck, such as through shuffle into deck effects, should therefore have no practical impact on gameplay, aside from allowing for the random placement of new cards.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Players who have mastered the basics of the game are generally recommended to try their hand at constructing their own decks. This not only helps players to learn about the game's deeper strategic elements, but is likely to provide a superior deck to the basic decks available. Players can use their favourite cards from that class' basic deck (or the entire deck) as a starting point for building their new deck. Many players also choose to search for deck listings online.
Players are free to change their deck as often as they wish. Decks can be created and altered through the My Collection screen. Players can have up to 18 custom decks at any time, and can also name their decks. Creating a custom deck is highly recommended, due to the generally poor nature of the basic decks.
Deck construction is a key strategic element to the game. There are many broad styles of deck, with an almost uncountable number of possible variations. Common deck types include control decks, aggro decks and mid-game decks, although many decks combine elements of each of these styles. The selection of class allows for additional customization, with certain classes having a natural synergy with certain types of deck. Many players choose to create different decks in order to try out certain builds or to play against specific weaknesses or strengths of other decks.
Perhaps the most critical feature of deck construction is their size limit: 30 cards. This forces players to choose between dozens of desirable possibilities, and focus upon their chosen strategy. However, the limit to the deck's size also ensures a limit to the unpredictability of the deck when playing. Paying attention to the mana curve can help in building a balanced deck.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The maximum deck size was limited around April 2015 to 60 cards. Prior to this, numbers as large as 466 had been observed, using shuffle into deck effects.
References[edit | edit source]
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-01-20).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2016-01-20).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2016-01-25).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2016-01-19).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-01-19).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-02-16).