With the arrival of Whispers of the Old Gods and game formats, the wiki has switched over to Standard format.
The preferred format for new and advanced players alike, most card lists will from now on only show cards valid in Standard format, making it easier for readers to find the information they're looking for.
For those interested in Wild format, Wild listings can now be found on subpages, such as Deathrattle/Wild format, linked just above main card listings, and Wild strategy and tips are still featured in our articles.
Secret: When your opponent casts a spell, Counter it.
What's the difference between a mage playing with Counterspell and a mage who isn't? The mage who isn't is getting Pyroblasted in the face.
- "No voodoo for you, mon." —Ta'zo
How to get[edit | edit source]
Counterspell can be obtained through Classic card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Golden Counterspell can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of each Ranked season.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Counterspell may be used preemptively to prevent the next spell cast by an opponent. When the opponent plays a spell card, Counterspell will activate; the spell will then fail to take effect. Counterspell also prevents the spell from completing its 'casting' phase, preventing post-spell casting triggers from activating. The results of this are:
- The spell card will still be consumed and its mana cost expended. However, any Overload will not be applied, since Overload is part of the card's text, not its cost.
- Any effects which activate from the spell being cast will still be triggered. Examples include Mana Wyrm, Questing Adventurer, Unbound Elemental and rogue combo effects on other cards.
- Any effects which activate from the completion of the spell cast, or the resolution of the spell, will not be triggered. Currently the only cards which functions this way are Spellbender and 'after you cast a spell' effects like Wild Pyromancer and Flamewaker.
- Counterspell will successfully counter Flare. The Flare will not take effect, will not destroy any other Secrets or remove Stealth from minions, and will not draw the player a card.
- Counterspell will not trigger from activation of Secrets. However, Counterspell can prevent Secrets from being cast, since they are spell cards.
- When Counterspell counters Fist of Jaraxxus, its discard-related effect is not triggered. It is unknown if this is a bug or intended.
- If your Overload spell is stopped by Counterspell, regardless of order of play, Unbound Elementals will still trigger (since you played a card with Overload), but you will not gain any Overload, meaning your Tunnel Troggs will not trigger.
Fixed bugs[edit | edit source]
- For a few weeks during Patch 188.8.131.5233 (LoE patch), playing a minion or spell with Overload caused you to become Overloaded the moment the card is paid for. For example, if Counterspell counters your Lightning Bolt, you were still Overloaded. (Normally Overload occurs in the Battlecry Phase/Spell Text Phase.)
- Until Patch 184.108.40.20633 (LoE patch), Counterspell countering a spell would trigger Tiny Knight of Evil.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
- When attempting to counter Counterspell, try casting a weak or unimportant spell first.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Counterspell is a mage spell from World of Warcraft which interrupts a target's spellcasting, locking them out of that school of magic for several seconds. Higher levels of the ability also silence the target for a few seconds. The spell also features in the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game.
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IckaFHxS5AA Tested in Patch 220.127.116.1156 (2015-12-04)
- Tested by User:Taohinton, 2015-02-03. Played Stonesplinter Trogg, then Counterspell, then Burly Rockjaw Trogg. Opponent played Polymorph; all 3 cards activated in order of play.
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-01-17).
- Bug on Secrets priority (forums). (2014-09-04).
- Tested by User:Taohinton 2015-02-03. Played Spellbender, Counterspell and Burly Rockjaw Trogg. Opponent played Arcane Missiles, Counterspell activated, then Trogg activated; Spellbender did not activate.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8tlK-2P2SI&feature=youtu.be Tested in Patch 18.104.22.16866 (2016-04-14)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax4U6dDIlws&t=0m50s Tested in Patch 22.214.171.12486 (TGT patch)
- http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/19877077551?page=1#4 Tested in Patch 126.96.36.19933 (LoE patch)
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-11-16).