Secret: When your opponent casts a spell, Counter it.
What's the difference between a mage playing with Counterspell and a mage who isn't? The mage who isn't is getting Pyroblasted in the face.
- "No voodoo for you, mon." —Ta'zo
How to get[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Counterspell may be used preemptively to prevent the next spell cast by an opponent. When the opponent plays a spell card, Counterspell will activate; the spell will then fail to take effect. Counterspell also prevents the spell from completing its 'casting' phase, preventing post-spell casting triggers from activating. The results of this are:
- The spell card will still be consumed and its mana cost expended.
- Any effects which activate from the spell being cast will still be triggered. Examples include Mana Wyrm, Questing Adventurer, Unbound Elemental and rogue combo effects on other cards.
- Any effects which activate from the completion of the spell cast, or the resolution of the spell, will not be triggered. Currently the only cards which functions this way are Spellbender, Wild Pyromancer and Flamewaker. Similarly, any Overload effects will not activate, and therefore will not overload the casting shaman's mana next turn.
- Counterspell will not trigger from activation of secrets. However, Counterspell can prevent secrets from being cast, since they are spell cards.
- When Counterspell counters Fist of Jaraxxus, its discard-related effect is not triggered. However, when Counterspell counters any spell, Tiny Knight of Evil does gain +1/+1 from its discard-related trigger. It is unknown which of these behaviors is intended, or if both are.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
- When attempting to counter Counterspell, try casting a weak or unimportant spell first.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Counterspell is a mage spell from World of Warcraft which interrupts a target's spellcasting, locking them out of that school of magic for several seconds. Higher levels of the ability also silence the target for a few seconds. The spell also features in the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game.
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Tested by User:Taohinton, 2015-02-03. Played Stonesplinter Trogg, then Counterspell, then Burly Rockjaw Trogg. Opponent played Polymorph; all 3 cards activated in order of play.
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-01-17).
- Bug on secrets priority (forums). (2014-09-04).
- Tested by User:Taohinton 2015-02-03. Played Spellbender, Counterspell and Burly Rockjaw Trogg. Opponent played Arcane Missiles, Counterspell activated, then Trogg activated; Spellbender did not activate.
- https://youtu.be/ax4U6dDIlws?t=26s Tested in Patch 220.127.116.1186 (TGT patch)