Give a friendly minion Charge. It can't attack heroes this turn.
"Guys! Guys! Slow down!" - some kind of non-warrior minion
- This article is about the card. For the ability see Charge (ability).
How to get[edit | edit source]
Charge x 2 are automatically included in all players' collections.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The wording of the card text on the card Charge does not mean that the ability Charge is defined as not being able to attack the enemy hero. Minions with the ability keyword Charge are able to attack the enemy hero, in addition to minions.
- Even if the minion this card is used on already has Charge, the secondary effect will still prevent it from attacking the enemy hero that turn.
- Forgetful minions buffed with this spell can still potentially attack the enemy hero if their effect triggers and switches their target to the hero.
- This card will no longer be offered for selection in Arena, since the 15th of September 2016. However, it is still obtainable in Arena matches through random effects, such as Spellslinger.
- As of Patch 22.214.171.12430 (2016-10-03), the effect granted by this spell is not permanent Charge, but a modified version that prevents it from attacking heroes if it has summoning sickness. For example, if you cast Charge on a minion, and then the next turn use Faceless Manipulator on that minion, the copy will not be able to attack heroes. This may or may not be a bug.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
This card is useful for getting a powerful minion into combat, but cannot be used for face damage. Mostly useful for trading or making use of specific effects, such as Deathrattles or damage-triggered effects.
History[edit | edit source]
Charge saw various incarnations over the course of the game's alpha and beta. Its earliest known form had the text "Give your minions Charge this turn." and cost 0 mana. This version saw many players using it as a one turn kill combo on later turns: they would play several high-Attack minions from the hand, followed by a 0-mana Charge, allowing for huge amounts of face damage in a single turn. In this respect it was similar to the version of Unleash the Hounds in play at that time (1 mana, "Give your Beasts +1 Attack and Charge."), which was changed around a month before Charge.
This version of the card not only proved highly frustrating for opponents but ran contrary to the developers' intentions for interactive gameplay, and was changed shortly before the game's full release to read "Give a friendly minion +2 Attack and Charge", and its cost increased to 3. Despite its potential for finisher combos, this new version saw very little play in most game modes, save for one-turn kill combos such as the infamous "OTK Worgen" deck.
In October 2016 the card was changed again, reducing its cost to 1 and giving it the new text "Give a friendly minion Charge. It can't attack heroes this turn." This change finally provided a solution to the developers' concerns around the card's ability to grant Charge, and was one of the last stages of their previously announced plan to reduce the presence of effects that granted Charge, as seen with the earlier nerf to Warsong Commander (previously granting Charge to any friendly minion with 3 or less Attack). The new version's restrictions prevented it from being used for finishing combos, thus opening design space for future cards, while still retaining the card's core design.
Lore[edit | edit source]
- "A charge is one of those things that always ends badly for someone."
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 126.96.36.19930 (2016-10-03): Cost reduced from 3 to 1. Text changed from "Give a friendly minion +2 Attack and Charge." to "Give a friendly minion Charge. It can't attack heroes this turn."
- Commentary: While we enjoy seeing players explore combo styles of play and will continue to support it in the future, we’ve seen in the past that the ability to give Charge to minions that don’t normally have it has been particularly problematic and also heavily restricts future cards. We’ve redesigned the card Charge in a way that provides opportunities for minion combat, but does not enable strategies that intend to win without allowing opponents to interact.
- Patch 188.8.131.5258 (2014-1-16): Has been reworked and now costs 3 mana. The card’s new power reads: Give a friendly minion +2 Attack and Charge.
- Patch 184.108.40.20640 (April or May 2013): Text changed from "Give your minions Charge this turn" to "Give a friendly minion Charge".
- Previously: Give your minions Charge this turn. [0 mana, Spell, Free]
References[edit | edit source]
- Hearthside Chat: Upcoming Arena Changes with Dean Ayala. (2016-09-08).
- Hearthpwn - Ben Brode on Defining Complexity, Depth, and 'Design Space'. (2017-01-28).
- Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft - Building the Fire (UK). (2013-03-19).