Deal 8 damage randomly split among all enemies.
Wham! Wham! Wham! Wham! Wham! Wham! Wham! Wham!
How to get[edit | edit source]
Avenging Wrath can be obtained through Classic card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Golden Avenging Wrath can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of each Ranked season.
|Golden Avenging Wrath||1600||400|
Notes[edit | edit source]
This spell shoots 8 missiles, each one dealing 1 damage to a randomly selected enemy character:
- Each missile is resolved (queuing and resolving triggered effects, such as that of Acolyte of Pain) before the next one is shot.
- As with all random effects, the missiles can hit any enemy, including Immune targets (which will however suffer no damage), Stealthed minions and the enemy hero.
- Characters which have been mortally wounded by earlier missiles or destroyed by triggered effects like Acidmaw will not be selected as targets for subsequent missiles (thus preventing missiles from dealing 'overkill' damage to targets that have already been destroyed by earlier missiles).
- Bonuses from Spell Damage and Prophet Velen will increase the total damage of this spell, not the damage dealt by each missile: for example, with Spell Damage +2 this spell will shoot 2 extra missiles, each one still dealing just 1 damage.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
A card that deals 8 damage for 6 mana is a card that should not be taken lightly. Whether facing an opponent that has a full board of creatures, or a caster that relies on spell damage or their hero alone, having an empowered version of the mage card Arcane Missiles is powerful.
This spell can be very effective for clearing boards of 1 or 2 Health minions, with a good chance of striking each minion at least once. It is less reliable against large minions, although it can still be effective for softening up or finishing off higher Health threats. For a full stacked board against you, Avenging Wrath is best paired with Equality to maximise its effectiveness. Also, with Spell Damage minions Avenging Wrath can shoot additional missiles to hit the enemy even harder.
Be careful when using this spell against a board featuring minions with on-damage triggered effects such as Acolyte of Pain, Frothing Berserker, Grim Patron and Armorsmith. With minions such as these in play, this spell has the potential to grant the opponent far more utility than it deals damage to them, potentially sealing the paladin's fate.
Given the potential for each missile to hit the enemy hero, the spell can be used as an effective burst attack when the board is empty, or close to empty. Remember that since the enemy hero is the one target that is always present, the smaller the number and the weaker the enemy minions on the board, the greater amount of missiles on average that will end up hitting the enemy hero.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Avenging Wrath originated in World of Warcraft as a paladin ability. It grants +20% damage and healing for 20 seconds and visually shows golden wings and an ambient glow on the paladin. While this card's name is taken from that ability, the effects themselves do not seem to have any connection.
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 188.8.131.5211 (2015-03-31): Text now reads "Deal 8 damage randomly split among all enemies." instead of "Deal 8 damage randomly split among enemy characters." No change to the card's effect.