Al'Akir the Windlord
|Abilities:||Charge, Divine Shield, Taunt, Windfury|
Windfury, Charge, Divine Shield, Taunt
He is the weakest of the four Elemental Lords. And the other three don't let him forget it.
How to get
|Al'Akir the Windlord||1600||400|
|Golden Al'Akir the Windlord||3200||1600|
Playing this minion will be useful at almost any time, due to the many abilities he has. However, since he has Taunt it's very possible for him to die the turn after summoning, stopping you from gaining too much advantage from his Windfury.
However, thanks to Charge, Al'Akir is especially effective for dealing large amounts of burst damage on the turn he is played. His Windfury makes him a perfect target for Attack buffs such as Rockbiter Weapon. With no Taunts on the table, Al'Akir + Rockbiter Weapon x 2 can allow the shaman to deal 18 damage in a single turn. This combo is commonly used by shamans as a closer. In case it is not enough damage to end the game, the combo also leaves Al'Akir on the board as a Divine Shield Taunt, helping to prevent direct reprisals.
When defeating the opponent using Al'Akir is not possible, he can also be used to quickly remove dangerous or valuable enemy minions. With sufficient Attack he can remove two minions on the turn he is summoned, ideally without being destroyed himself.
Whatever the strategy, Al'Akir's Windfury makes him an excellent target for Attack buffs, while his Taunt makes him a good target for Health buffs. Health buffs can also help him survive for an extra turn, especially if used to attack other minions.
- Winds! Obey my command!
- Like swatting insects!
Al'Akir the Windlord was the Elemental Lord of air. He ruled over his domain of Skywall from his seat at the Throne of the Four Winds. He was once the foremost tactician in the Old Gods' horrific armies. Aligned with the corrupted Dragon Aspect Deathwing and his fellow Elemental Lord Ragnaros the Firelord in their efforts to usher in the end of days, Al'Akir was defeated by the mortal champions of Azeroth, who were able to enter Skywall from the breach in Uldum and destroy the Windlord within his own sanctum.
Al'Akir the Windlord is absolute ruler over the skies, air and storms. He is the weakest of the four Elemental Lords of the Old Gods. His domain is the sky over the Elemental Plane, which touches all of the other elements. Consequently, it "...interacts with them more than any other, and yet he is the most capricious and aloof of all the Lords. He is as likely to stir up trouble one day as he is to casually ignore incursions the next." His mood can quickly change, much like the weather. He is revered by all air elementals and creatures that fly. It is said that he is aware of all air spells that are cast anywhere throughout the multiverse - although this might be true, he rarely becomes personally involved in their resolution unless they affect him directly.
- Al'Akir ("الأخير" in Arabic, more correctly transliterated as al-’akhīr) means "The Final One".
- During the game's alpha and beta phases, Al'Akir was generally considered to be an extremely underpowered and undesirable card, widely named one of the worst legendaries in the game. However, as with the value of any card, over time a shifting meta game and new deck types has led players to discover the potential of the card.
- Ben Brode states that during the game's alpha he was receiving so much negative feedback regarding Al'Akir card that the team very nearly buffed the card, with even top players within Blizzard asking him "How come you made him so bad?!" and asking him to "make this guy good". However, when the developers examined the alpha's backend stats, Al'Akir was found to in fact have the highest win rate of any legendary in the game at that time. The developers therefore realised that the card was simply under-appreciated, and did not change the card, avoiding making "a pretty terrible mistake".
- Patch 188.8.131.5217 (2013-12-10): Visual effect: Al'Akir the Windlord now rides into battle on the tempest itself!
- Previous: Windfury, Charge, Divine Shield, Taunt. [3 attack, 5 health, 8 mana, Legendary]
- ChanManV (2014-04-24). Value Town #27 w/ ChanManV, Trump, Gnimsh, and Ben Brode Pt. 2.